Nicknames for Calliope... Please Help!!!

[u]EDIT:[/u] Calliope is pronounced kah-LYE-oh-pee. I think I’ve found the nickname I’m gonna use and keep for it - Kaia. If you have other suggestions, feel free to let me know. But now I’m looking for middle names to fit. We have Alba Johanna Leigh, Harlow Eliza Janelle, and Ariadne Claire Valora picked out. Can you guys help find some middle names that kinda fit those styles? I literally feel lost. Not sure if it’s the name or just lack of sleep. Lol.

I’ve liked the name [name]Calliope[/name] since I first heard it on [name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy, but never thought DH would remotely care for the name. So tonight, I’m watching [name]Grey[/name]'s reruns and [name]Arizona[/name] calls [name]Callie[/name] “[name]Calliope[/name]”. DH turns to me and asks if that’s her actual name and I say it is. He says, “I actually really like it.” I was pretty shocked. No…really shocked. DH and I can’t agree on names…ESPECIALLY girl names.

So now I’m thinking this may be an option for a girl’s name. My only thing is this…

I HATE the nickname [name]Callie[/name]. I knew a girl in high school named [name]Cali[/name]. We didn’t get along, but that’s really not the only reason for me not liking the name. I also live in [name]California[/name] and it’s often called “[name]Cali[/name]” by tourists or people who don’t live here (once in a while by those who live here). So it just doesn’t feel right as a name, I guess. Our dog, when we first rescued her as a puppy, had been named [name]Cali[/name]. We quickly changed her name. Sooooo…I also kinda associate it as a dog’s name. I just can’t do [name]Callie[/name] or [name]Cali[/name].

So this is my question… What other nicknames could come from the name [name]Calliope[/name]?

I’m only asking this because I know myself. I have 4 little nieces and 8 young cousins. I’ve come up with nicknames for almost every single one of them. [name]Lilly[/name] is Boozie, [name]Laila[/name] is [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Emi[/name] is [name]Em[/name] Bem, [name]Riley[/name] is [name]Wiley[/name] Coyote, [name]Devon[/name] is [name]Dev[/name] or [name]Buddy[/name], etc.

I guess I’m just uncomfortable sticking my child with a name which I can only think of one nickname for, and I hate that one nickname.

1 Like

[name]Calliope[/name]…hmm. Is it pronounced “[name]Kye[/name]-[name]Yo[/name]-up”? Or something?
If so, then Caya “[name]Ky[/name]-ya”. [name]Lili[/name]. [name]Allie[/name]/[name]Ali[/name].

[name]Calliope[/name] is a great name… other possible nicknames:
Lylie, [name]Lilah[/name], [name]Cass[/name],

Calliope…not exactly sure how to pronounce this Kal - E - OH - pay? But Lio (Leo) comes to mind as a cute nn depending upon the pronunciation of the full name. I really like the look of the name - would love to know how you intend on pronouncing it (or how it is pronounced :).
Lio or Lili (pronounced lee-lee).

I think [name]Clio[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name] would be great. Maybe [name]Lia[/name].

I thought it was pronounced cal-ee-OH-pee. It’s Greek and a bit similar to [name]Penelope[/name]. I also don’t like [name]Callie[/name] but what about just [name]Cal[/name]? I think of [name]Leo[/name] and think either [name]Cal[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] would be my favourite. Although it sounds like you will make up loads of affectionate nicknames for them as you have for your nieces and nephews… Opie, Kalpol (!), Copie, Lopie. Also like previous suggestions of [name]Clio[/name] and [name]Lia[/name].

[name]Penny[/name] is coming to mind, and I agree with the nn [name]Allie[/name], I think it really works well!! :slight_smile:

The [name]Calliope[/name] I knew pronounced it cah-ly-oh-pee. Besides [name]Callie[/name], I like [name]Cai[/name] as a nn.

These were my first thoughts, too. :slight_smile:

[name]Calliope[/name] is pronounced kah-LYE-oh-pee.

Aww. I like [name]Lilah[/name]. I do have nieces named [name]Laila[/name] and [name]Lilly[/name], though. And a friend has a niece named [name]Lilah[/name]. Hmm…

kah-LYE-oh-pee is how it’s pronounced.

[name]Poppy[/name]'s cute. DH loves to answer the phone saying, “'Ello, Poppet.”, so I’m sure he’d wind up just calling her Poppet instead of [name]Poppy[/name], but it’s still cute.

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced kah-LYE-oh-pee.

It would work except I have a [name]SIL[/name] (and best friend) named [name]Alli[/name].

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Kaia[/name] could work? [name]Cai[/name]/[name]Kai[/name] sounds a bit too boyish for me, but I think [name]Kaia[/name] is beautiful. I think [name]Kaia[/name] may be the winner.

I pronounce it how kalebsmom did. I’m not a fan of [name]Callie[/name] either. I like someone’s suggestion of [name]Poppy[/name], I think that would be cute!

[name]Just[/name] throwing some combos out there. [name]Haven[/name]'t given them too much thought. Tell me what you think…

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Haven[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Honor[/name]

I know [name]Haven[/name] and [name]Honor[/name] are the names of [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Alba[/name]'s daughters. I’m obviously not going to use both names. I just happen to like them. [name]Haven[/name], I actually loved long before she was even pregnant.

1 Like

[name]Lilo[/name] is perfect for [name]Calliope[/name]:slight_smile:

I second [name]Lilo[/name]!! Also, I do think [name]Poppy[/name] is adorable and I definitely think [name]Kaia[/name] ([name]Caia[/name]) could work nicely!