Nicknames for Jude?

We love the name [name_u]Jude[/name_u] for a boy. After 4 girls it seems like a good solid, handsome choice.
However, we’re a nicknamey type bunch - everyone seems to end up with one, and I just can’t think of any nicknames for [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

why not [name_m]Judah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u]?

I dont think [name_u]Jude[/name_u] really has any NNs…its doesn’t really need one [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I love the idea of [name_m]Judah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u], but if that’s out, I’d say J would make a fine nickname. Two of my boys go by their initial as nicknames. Also, whatever middle name you choose can play into the nickname, such as [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] “JD” or [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] “[name_m]JR[/name_m]” or [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Christian[/name_m] “JC”

Also, nicknames come with time! [name_m]Just[/name_m] because his name doesn’t have many nn options doesn’t mean he’ll be without a nickname. In my family we give nicknames out all the time, they just come with the flow of life. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t stress!

I agree with PPs in that I don’t think [name_u]Jude[/name_u] really has a nickname. Maybe you can call him Ju (prn Joo)?

Or, like a PP said, you can use the initials of the first and middle name to make a nickname–ex. JD, JC, JJ, JT, JP, JV, JB.

Really? I guess you could always use initials as suggested above. Or wait until you meet him and give him a pet name/nickname based on a personality trait or physical trait.

I agree with [name_m]Judah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u]! Then again, [name_m]Judah[/name_m] is on my own short list and I’m a massive fan. :slight_smile:

I hesitate with Ju because it sounds so close to Jew. And with the whole [name_f]Star[/name_f] of [name_m]David[/name_m] and the word that was written on it (jude) in Nazi Germany, I feel like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] nn Ju is too much. I mean, I’m not a Jew, but my best friend was, and it sort of pushes the wrong buttons for me. I guess you could do [name_u]Jay[/name_u]? Or JJ? But if you’re a nicknaming family, [name_m]Judah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u] seems like the best bet for me.

Good luck!

Sorry, I just don’t see the point of naming him something you love and then calling him something else (I’m just not a nn person as we try so hard to find the perfect name and one that we love). I guess the pp’s suggestion of a longer name like [name_m]Judah[/name_m] would be okay and then call him [name_u]Jude[/name_u] if that is what you really want but [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is short and sweet so it works so well on it’s own.

I also agree that [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is short enough to be a nickname itself. [name_m]Judah[/name_m], Judea, or even [name_m]Julius[/name_m] could be ‘[name_u]Jude[/name_u].’

Maybe [name_m]Judd[/name_m]?

I was going to suggest [name_m]Jud[/name_m]/[name_m]Judd[/name_m]. I don’t think [name_u]Jude[/name_u] has many. One may develop organically based on his personality. I love the name [name_u]Jude[/name_u]!

I quite agree with this. Since it’s one syllable, [name_u]Jude[/name_u] just doesn’t naturally lend itself to good nicknames (Ju is odd at best, potentially offensive at worst). I don’t personally see the point in straining for a nickname when it doesn’t really need it, but using one of the longer forms listed above on the birth certificate and just calling him [name_u]Jude[/name_u] seems the best route if you must have one. Or just let one evolve as he grows.

I totally see your issue! I’m definitely a nickname person too and have ruled [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] off my list just because there’s no good nicknames. I agree with everyone else that [name_m]Judah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is your best option. There’s not that much more you can do however, if I had a [name_u]Jude[/name_u] (just [name_u]Jude[/name_u]) myself I’d probably call him [name_u]Jay[/name_u] or JJ or J(middle initial). You could try [name_f]Judey[/name_f] but for me it’s very feminine. You could try [name_m]Jed[/name_m], I suppose it could work as a nickname because [name_m]Jed[/name_m] is slightly softer/easier to say.

I’m going to agree with most of the posters - [name_m]Judah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u]! [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is a very short name, one that doesn’t need a nickname. As much as I do like nickname-y names, if you want a nickname, [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is not the name to use. [name_m]Judah[/name_m] is an excellent choice though. :slight_smile:

J or Juju are all I can think of!

I have nothing really to add, but just wanted to chime in with some [name_u]Jude[/name_u]-love! I’m personally not a big fan of [name_m]Judah[/name_m], but really adore [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. So I would echo the initial with middle idea if you wanted a nickname, like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Christian[/name_m] “JC”. (And for what it’s worth, I also love [name_u]Jude[/name_u] with [name_m]Christian[/name_m]…)

I have to agree with everyone who said that [name_u]Jude[/name_u] works on its own. I adore [name_u]Jude[/name_u], but it’s not an easy one to shorten. If anything, it is more of a nickname itself. [name_m]Julian[/name_m] “[name_u]Jude[/name_u]” was a mainstay on my list for awhile, then just [name_u]Jude[/name_u], now [name_m]Judah[/name_m].

I think [name_m]Julian[/name_m], [name_m]Judah[/name_m] or [name_m]Julius[/name_m] may be good choices, if you want to call him [name_u]Jude[/name_u] without breaking he nickname trend.

Other than that, initials are the only real way to do it.

Juju? Juju-bee? (like the candy), [name_u]Jude[/name_u] the Dude? Haha This is a hard one.

You could think about using a nickname from his middle name particularly if what you’re looking for is a cutesy pet name only to be used occasional within the family or more not to be used formall like at school. For example- [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Edward[/name_m], nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] or [name_m]Bear[/name_m] would be cute. Or for the same purpose you could even call him something like J-bear or J-tot no matter what the rest of his name is. These kind of nicknames tend to come naturally (particularly if you’re nicknamey people) so I wouldn’t panic too much. If you love [name_u]Jude[/name_u] I’m sure a pet name will develop from somewhere fairly early on.

You could have [name_m]Judah[/name_m]/[name_m]Julian[/name_m]/[name_m]Julius[/name_m] nicknamed [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. [name_m]Judah[/name_m] could be a nickname for [name_u]Jude[/name_u] actually, even though its longer.

Depending on [name_u]Jude[/name_u]'s middle name, use initials.

[name_u]James[/name_u] is on my list with the nickname [name_u]Jet[/name_u], which could work with [name_u]Jude[/name_u] as well.

Maybe [name_m]Jack[/name_m]? The same way [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is a nickname for [name_m]John[/name_m]. [name_u]Jay[/name_u] or JJ (JJ’s also on my list for [name_u]James[/name_u], regardless of the middle initial)?

There’s also nicknames that aren’t attached to real names. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Edison[/name_m] nicknamed his kids [name_f]Dot[/name_f] and [name_u]Dash[/name_u] despite their real names being [name_u]Marion[/name_u] and [name_m]Tom[/name_m]. In this category the only other ones I can think of are [name_m]Buzz[/name_m] and [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], but I’m sure you can find some more.

Other short J names that could potentially be nicknames for [name_u]Jude[/name_u] - [name_m]Judd[/name_m], [name_m]Joe[/name_m], [name_m]Jax[/name_m], [name_m]Jeb[/name_m], [name_m]Jed[/name_m]