Nicknames that have nothing to do with your name

I’ve always thought it was fascinating how people (including me and my siblings) end up with nicknames that have nothing at all to do with their names, so I thought it would be cool to hear people’s stories of how they got theirs.

My first nn was [name]Lovey[/name], and it came about because my mom looked at me and decided that’s what she was going to call me the first time she held me. Then when my brother was little he called me [name]Sissy[/name] because he couldn’t say Maurilia or [name]Lovey[/name]. Now all three of my siblings call me [name]Sissy[/name] and my extended family calls me [name]Lovey[/name].

My brother is Bub, [name]Bubba[/name], or Bubby because he was a junior, and we didn’t want to confuse him and our dad.

My little sister’s name is [name]Ella[/name], but we call her [name]Silly[/name] because when she was always doing [name]Silly[/name] things so it eventually went from, “Stop that, silly,” to just calling her [name]Silly[/name].

My youngest brother gets called [name]Buddy[/name] because when he was first born my sister and I instinctively called him Bubby, and we needed him to have his own name that we could use without difficulty.

Does anyone else have any stories?

My mom calls me [name]Dee[/name] because when I was little I couldn’t pronounce my name. It came out [name]Didi[/name] instead of Jeanni. My fiancee calls me [name]Bunny[/name] and I sometimes call him [name]Love[/name] Muffin. I have a friend that we all call Goat although her name means goat, so I don’t think that quite fits.

My nickname when I was little was Monkey because I used to climb on everything. I have a lot of monkey things :slight_smile:

Being in a sorority, I met SO many people with nns. Half the time I didn’t know their real names for a while… haha. I think my favorite nn was Speaker. He looks a LOT like [name]Vince[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name]. When Old School came out, they decided to call him Speaker because [name]Vince[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name]'s character worked for Speaker City. Gotta give creativity points for that! I believe this is where [name]Blue[/name] also got his nn. He was the older guy so it worked pretty well (and I mean older as in late 20s with a group of 18-22 year olds). Oh, there was also a Shoelace in another fraternity. That story is pretty hilarious… but not quite appropriate… :slight_smile:

My nn is [name]Pippi[/name]. (Real name is [name]Sarah[/name].) I used to work at Target and work pigtails for Halloween one year. A coworker looked at me and said “You look like [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking!” And I’ve been that to her, and used it for many things, since!

My nephew turned 1 in [name]December[/name]. His name is [name]Brent[/name] [name]Gene[/name]. He gets called Handsome much of the time at my house. Also Speedy as he crawls away as fast as he can!! I know a little girl named [name]Lucy[/name], who gets called [name]Tiny[/name] at home. (Simply because she’s small!) I watch a 1 year old who talks all day long (you can even understand her sometimes, too!!!), so she gets called [name]Chatty[/name]. [name]Missy[/name] a lot, as well. (Her name is [name]Taylor[/name].) Used to know one who got called [name]Flash[/name] often because he loved costumes and was [name]Flash[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] a lot.

My nickname is noodle (real name [name]Hannah[/name])
Sometimes I get called Han-fran-[name]Cisco[/name] (my fn is [name]Hannah[/name] and mn is [name]Francesca[/name]) I know it’s related but I love it
My brothers nickname is dobby (real name [name]Thomas[/name])

My dad used to call me Bitsy, too. Forgot about that one! I also tend to call kids I work with Monkey’s or Thing’s. (Thing mostly for the multiples I work with. Thing [name]One[/name] and Thing Two.)

My mom has a few nns for me that really don’t stem out of anything… I really don’t know where she got them from, but she still calls me [name]Sugar[/name] [name]Plum[/name] and her Flitter Flutter [name]Butterfly[/name] every now and then, haha.

My sister wanted nicknames for us that really had nothing to do with our real names… I think she’s just obsessed with the letter “B” because it started with Bon-Bon for my brother ([name]John[/name], nn [name]Johnny[/name]), and then she called me [name]Ashley[/name]-bo-Bashley, and somehow that morphed into Boo-Boo, which is the only thing she ever calls me anymore (bahaha, I hate it. It’s so childish, but it’s pointless to fight it…), and she calls our baby sister (who is 16 now, haha) [name]Baby[/name], because she’s the baby of the family. We both call our dad Papi/[name]Poppy[/name]… which I guess is a common enough term for a dad, but it all stemmed out of our years of Spanish classes.

I call my brother [name]Buddy[/name]… it started out with calling him [name]Buster[/name] one day (who knows why, lol), and from then on he’s just always been my buddy. :slight_smile: I think [name]Buddy[/name] suits him better than his actual name, lol.

Pumpkin - My aunt used to call me this when I was younger, she’d even call me it in my birthday cards. :stuck_out_tongue:
Cookie Face - My aunt now calls me this, she has me as Cookie Face in her cellphone contacts as well.

[name]Clem[/name] - My dad calls everyone in the house this when we do something less that intelligent. Lol. Often said as “[name]Way[/name] to go, [name]Clem[/name].”

My nickname is [name]Chili[/name] and has been since I was 12 years old. It has nothing to do with my real name, [name]Michelle[/name], but my sister decided one day to call me chili dog, chili for short. My nieces and nephews all call me Aunt [name]Chili[/name] and many of my siblings still call me [name]Chili[/name] dog. That’s ok with me. I don’t notice it anymore. My husband’s nickname growing up was Kid. Again nothing to do with his real name.

When I was in high school, my nn was [name]Cy[/name], for [name]Cy[/name] [name]Young[/name], the baseball pitcher. (I am a baseball freak and played softball in high school.)

My mother is [name]Elaine[/name], and was always called [name]Lainey[/name]. When I was little I called her [name]Lainey[/name] [name]Honey[/name] (imitating my dad?) and apparently called her that for years. My cousin, hearing [name]Lainey[/name] [name]Honey[/name], ended up with NiNi from that so she’s been called NiNi ever since.

My grandpa, who moonlighted as a housepainter, met a little girl named [name]Gigi[/name], and told my grandmother that if they had another daughter, he wanted to call her that. They ended up naming the next daughter [name]Geraldine[/name] (after [name]Chaplin[/name]) and calling her [name]Chi[/name] [name]Chi[/name] (so we have Ni Ni and [name]Chi[/name] [name]Chi[/name], go figure).

My other grandparents (my father’s parents) grew up next door to each other, and my grandfather [name]George[/name] Wadsworth was best friends with my grandmother’s brother [name]Waldo[/name]. My grandmother’s name was [name]Helen[/name] [name]Hammett[/name], and [name]Waldo[/name] used to call her “hell and dammit”, which apparently made her cry. Still, though my grandparents were married over 60 years, GW would say to me about something bad he’d done (like eat candy), [name]Don[/name]'t tell Hellanddammit I did that!

I know a woman with a daughter named [name]Aleena[/name]. She’s called Bean, by everyone. [name]Even[/name] people at her school call her Bean.

My son has one of those “no-nickname names,” so none of his nicknames are related to his name. The most common are [name]Bud[/name] and Bebop.

My mom calls me Cruella… nooo idea why!

My DH calls me Titch because I’m so short :slight_smile:

As a baby i was [name]Becky[/name]-Boo-Boo, which turned to just Boo as i got older and was exclusively for family (mostly my mum and sister), however over the past few years i’ve been called ‘Roo’ which came about by people just adding it onto the end of [name]Rebecca[/name] or [name]Becca[/name] (Beccaroo, just seems to come out…), and it was only after three different people (who don’t know each other and weren’t aware i’d ever been called it) all used ‘Beccaroo’ in referring to me that i adopted it myself…Now i’m pregnant, i get ‘Mother Roo’…/=

My name is [name]Sierra[/name]… so there’s not much nn potential. My little sister, [name]Holly[/name], has always just called me [name]Sister[/name], and she still does, even now that we’re in our twenties. When we were teenagers all her friends started calling me sister, too. So I was a senior in high school and all these freshman would scream "[name]HI[/name] SISTERRRR!) in the halls. It was quite embarassing. A few of them still call me that and one even confessed she didn’t know my real name for nearly 5 years.

My little brother (he’s about to turn 9) calls me [name]Sissy[/name] still, even though he calls [name]Holly[/name] by her name. My grandmother has always called me [name]Sissy[/name], too, as I am the spitting image of her sister. My dad is even calling me [name]Sissy[/name] now.

Now [name]Holly[/name] has a daughter and she is teaching her to call me Aunt Sis. At this rate my own future children will probably call me sissy or sister.

Another one: my cousins and I all call my grandpa [name]Babe[/name], because my oldest cousin started calling him that, imitating my grandma’s pet name for him. So it’s [name]Gram[/name] and [name]Babe[/name], always.

I’m a bit of a gamer, and I have nn from the games I play. [name]One[/name] is [name]Mair[/name], and the other is MJaye. I actually answer to [name]Mair[/name], and feel very comfortable using the name in place of my own. I had to change my character’s name when I moved her to another server in my game, but people still call me [name]Mair[/name], and on top of that, I have never connected to the new name. [name]Mair[/name] just suits me, I guess.

I was due in [name]June[/name] and so my first ever nickname was [name]June[/name] Nipper which became [name]Juniper[/name]. Also Mouse because I’m quiet, [name]Buffy[/name] because I used to wear pigtails and apparently there was some person in the olden days who wore pigtails and was called [name]Buffy[/name] (this according to my grandad), [name]Rose[/name] because I left a rose for valentines day on the desk of a guy I liked and the whole flippin’ work place knew it was me, and Spandex because I was a dancer and so was flexible haha.

Also I had a friend who used to call me Death and [name]Princess[/name] of Darkness because I have such white skin and dark hair and wore black…
Not the most flattering!

So my name is [name]Gabrielle[/name] nn [name]Gabby[/name]. I am half spanish so one of my nicknames is Mamita. Then my cousin/babysitter decide that that was too long so she decided to shorten it to Methie, I don’t think this is how it’s spelled but-> (its pronounced like mee-thee). My other cousin calls me Dudge or Dudgie, why? I have no idea. My dad calls me mamacita or mushu. And both my brothers call me [name]Tabby[/name] which is the only one relatively close to my actual nickname.

My brother’s name is [name]Devlin[/name]. When my baby sister was little, she couldn’t pronounce it, so she called him [name]Bobby[/name], short for brother. It stuck, and now everyone calls him [name]Bobby[/name], including his wife. They’re expecting a baby in a couple of months and plan to use it as a middle name ([name]Bobby[/name] if it’s a boy, [name]Bobbie[/name] if it’s a girl). Now that we’re all having kids, the little ones only know him as [name]Bobby[/name]. My two year old niece calls him Fobby, but he put his foot down on that one :slight_smile: