Nightingale (as a mn)

I just posted part of this in another thread, so please forgive the duplication if you read that. But in talking about the name [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and thinking about [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], I wondered about the possibility of [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] as a mn? It’s a bird, like [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Swan[/name_f], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], etc, but three syllables, not one.

Paraphrased from Wikipedia. As if founding modern nursing was not enough, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] exhibited a gift for mathematics from an early age and excelled in the subject under the tutelage of her father. She became a pioneer in the visual presentation of information and statistical graphics and used methods such as the pie chart, which although taken for granted now, was at the time a relatively novel method of presenting data.

I wonder if [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] could be a nice mn as an honoring name towards female scientist, mathematicians etc.

4 Likes

Yes! I love it!

1 Like

Super cool! Would definitely stand out from the usual middle names and has a great meaning behind it (nature/birds & female scientist)!

1 Like

I love it!

1 Like

I used to love [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] as a middle name! I’m not so wild about it now, but all of my middles have become somewhat more reserved so that’s just a victim of overturn! It could totally be a way to honor that!

I love [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] as a middle name! It’s absolutely beautiful, and has a wonderful namesake!

1 Like

Yep! Different and also it has a beautiful sound.

1 Like

Love love love it… but not with [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. I think it’s a more subtle tribute combined with another name. And the child might feel burdened if they had to carry the full weight of both names in tribute. With a different name it could also be linked just with the bird if the child felt more comfortable that way too. I have it paired with [name_f]Grace[/name_f] in my fave combos ie First Name [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] Surname.

1 Like

Yes, I totally agree. I think pairing it with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] would be too overdone. I love the duel bird and person meaning too. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is so sweet.

1 Like

Yes.

I’ve never considered it for a name but it would actually be a very pretty middle name and a lovely namesake! I think it would work especially well with a short first name like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u].

1 Like

@tavimh Isn’t this your daughter’s middle? I saw it in a thread, i think it’s lovely xxx

1 Like

Nightingale is beautiful! I absolutely love it!

1 Like

It would make a super cool middle!

1 Like

Sure; sounds cool.

I love the sentiment and I think it’s very usable since it was a last name!

1 Like

Nightingale would make a bold but exciting middle

1 Like

Yes, I love it! Definitely not as out there as [name_f]Tigerlily[/name_f] or Seawillow (beautiful names but GPs for me!), which I’ve seen on the forums recently. And the namesake of [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is amazing!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] as a middle name for both genders! It’s so beautiful, magical and melodic.

1 Like

@Estrela I had not even considered it for a boy. Thank you.

1 Like