(Poll) Hebrew Boy Name that Works in Spanish and English

@tori101 Inspired me to post. I also have a pretty young baby and will not be adding to the family anytime soon (if ever). However, I’m wondering what my options would be in the future.

I set up a theme with my first child. When it actually came down to naming a second child, I was perfectly willing to change that up for other names I loved, but the boy name that tugged on my heartstrings just fit. So now I’m two names deep into the theme and wondering if I’ve backed myself into a corner.

[name_f]My[/name_f] kids are [name_f]Ariela[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] [name_m]Wells[/name_m] nn [name_u]Rue[/name_u].

Both have Hebrew names that work in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish and, to me, it might not be obvious to non-name nerds that they’re both Hebrew names. I am a nickname fiend, and I love that they both have obvious nicknames that are modern names in their own right.

For girls I also love [name_f]Lia[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] nn [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], which would be another Hebrew origin name with an honor mn.

But for boys I’m feeling stuck. Here are some Hebrew origin boy names that work in Spanish and [name_f]English[/name_f]. I have liked all of them in different moments for different reasons. Which go best with my set?

Any other thoughts on the matter are welcome.

• [name_m]Simon[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Abram[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Abel[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Abner[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Adlai[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Saul[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Judah[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Amos[/name_u]

0 voters

Yay glad I inspired you to think about hypothetical children’s names!

I love [name_f]Ariela[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] & [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] [name_m]Wells[/name_m] they are gorgeous names. I think [name_f]Lia[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] definitely works as a sibling name. I think [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] is a lovely nickname as well.

From your boys my favourite for your sibling set is [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]. [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] is a great choice feels sweet and youthful I like the nickname [name_m]Joe[/name_m] and I think [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] just works in your sibling set. Great choice for a hypothetical future son!

1 Like

I chose [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Judah[/name_m], [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] & [name_m]Adlai[/name_m] for the modern nicknames [name_u]Si[/name_u] ([name_m]Cy[/name_m]?), [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_u]Sol[/name_u]/Solly & [name_f]Addy[/name_f]. I love them all! I think you have some lovely options.
[name_m]Adlai[/name_m] may feel the most different in style from your children’s names, and it repeats an initial, so those may be drawbacks.

I voted for [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] but could [name_u]Elias[/name_u] work?

1 Like

Love [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] for a girl!

I think [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m] or [name_m]Abner[/name_m] go the best with [name_f]Ariela[/name_f] & [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] from your list. What about [name_u]Noah[/name_u] or [name_u]Elias[/name_u]? I think they’d match your sibset beautifully

1 Like

@tori101 Thank you! This is giving me a new perspective on [name_m]Jonas[/name_m].

@columbiacharm I like [name_m]Adlai[/name_m]. It has been on my list for a while (I even considered it for a girl), but I’ve been hesitant because of the pronunciation in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I’ve heard it pronounced three different ways. I love all of those nickname options!

@anon25197097 I love the interest in [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]! It’s moved up me list. [name_u]Elias[/name_u] could work, but I kept it off because it’s a lot more popular in US than my other kids’ names. Similar with [name_u]Noah[/name_u], @enwmn. Though I’ve met girls in Spanish-speaking countries named [name_u]Noe[/name_u], and I love that.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Amos[/name_u] for the Spanish pronunciation, and the [name_f]English[/name_f] nickname [name_u]Mo[/name_u] / [name_u]Moe[/name_u]! I’m also biased, as I had a great-uncle [name_u]Amos[/name_u].