Polly Pocket

Anyone else grow up playing with these toys? If so did it influence your opinion of the name Polly?

For those who didn’t they were super cute mini doll houses. Maybe these still exist but they arent as tiny as they were originally.

I did and I think its one of the reasons I cant take Polly seriously! Shes just so tiny :joy:

14 Likes

Ahaha yes I loved [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pocket! Though mine weren’t tiny :grin: I had the new generation of them

I like the name [name_f]Polly[/name_f] but not in a :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart: level. I don’t think the toys influenced that.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hate it at all…the toys were so cool.

The only negative [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is the [name_f]Nirvana[/name_f] song and story behind it. On the plus side, while it’s a horrible story, there’s some time behind it and might not have same association today.

1 Like

i liked polly pockets!

however, they didn’t impact my feelings on the name. i actually know someone irl called polly and i’ve never made the association with her

1 Like

Oh, I loved collecting [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pockets as a kid! So cute.

I adore the name [name_f]Polly[/name_f]! The toys are not the reason I like the name, but the association doesn’t bother me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pockets but never had one. I wasn’t really a doll kind of child, but I don’t see it as a negative association at all. I think [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is dainty but feisty, an underused vintage gem.

1 Like

i remember them!! my best friend’s name is [name_f]Polly[/name_f] so i think that’s influenced my opinion on the name quite a bit, but i remember thinking it was cute when i was younger too (because of [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pocket)

1 Like

Aww I remember the tiny [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pockets :laughing: thanks for bringing back a childhood memory!
And yeah, I kind of feel the same about [name_f]Polly[/name_f].

1 Like

I loved [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pockets, although mine looked much different.

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pockets I played with around 2006

I’m not a fan of the name [name_f]Polly[/name_f] but I don’t know if the toys are an influence of that. I don’t like a lot of vintage nickname names so it might just be that it’s not my style.

1 Like

I had the tiny [name_f]Polly[/name_f] pockets. Though that’s usually not my 1st association when I think of the name, it wouldn’t be a negative association for me.

1 Like

I’m the opposite I think.

I find names like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] cute because they feel so retro but also relevant because of the toys. Don’t know if I would actually use either tho. But [name_f]Polly[/name_f] has better odds than [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] since it’s not as stigmatized.

3 Likes

I did, do you remember [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Locket?

1 Like

I loved [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pocket :grin: I do have that association of [name_f]Polly[/name_f] but I think it’s kind of cute

1 Like

A distant relative of mine named her daughter [name_f]Polly[/name_f], so that’s my first association. I agree, though, I can’t take it seriously bc of [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pocket! They’re so cute, but the name feels silly and a little childish to me. I think it could better as a nickname, perhaps for [name_f]Paulina[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] , etc. It was actually originally a nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and is used sometimes for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] too, so maybe one of those!

2 Likes

This should probably be in #everything-but-names.

Oh no I don’t! [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is growing on me though…

Whaaat?? I had no idea!

1 Like

I remember them fondly but weirdly don’t automatically connect [name_f]Polly[/name_f] on its own to [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Pocket

1 Like

Yeah, isn’t that crazy? Because R’s and L’s used to be pronounced more similarly (or maybe it was even the same) in English, Mary became Molly and Dorothy became Dolly. There was a trend to change the first letter of nicknames (ex. Meg to Peg, Will to Bill) so Molly and Dolly became Polly!
On an unrelated note, I also find Polly a very cute name, but I hardly played with Polly Pockets, so I don’t think that’s why. Polly has also always had a kind of British feel to me, and I don’t know why! I do like the name a lot, but more as a nickname.

2 Likes

It’s asking if the toy affects your opinions on the name, not about the toy :slight_smile:

1 Like