Portia

I love this name.
I need people’s opinions, it’s classic or odd??
Would it work for a little girl? WDYT berries?

I love [name]Portia[/name]. I consider it classic, without being overused.

[name]Portia[/name] is a beautiful name! I think it’s very classy and a little exotic!

It’s very pretty and I like the Shakespearean tie in. At the same time I would worry about the perception of the name as [name]Porsche[/name], and while the etymology I think is largely unknown, one suspected root is related to “pig” in meaning, which is unfortunate. I’m not one to totally avoid names due to unfortunate meaning, but this one seems a little worse than average.

I know someone named [name]Portia[/name], she is very beautiful and athletic, fun and well mannered. She’s only met one person that knew the meaning of the name. I think it’s gorgeous and substantial, and I read a post a while ago about nicknames [name]Shay[/name] and [name]Poe[/name].

I like this name in theory, but I would never use is because it sounds just like [name]Porsche[/name] and will all the [name]Mercedes[/name] and [name]Lexus[/name]’ out there I would worry that when people heard it and didn’t see it written they would think you were one of THOSE parents.

I love it. It’s exotic, classy and literary. The character in Merchant of [name]Venice[/name] is a great namesake, too.

I love it. I love the sound and the history, and [name]Portia[/name] is easily one of my favorite female Shakespearean characters. The possible “pig” meaning worries me slightly, but not a lot.

I think it’s so cute but I know a [name]Portia[/name] who gives the name a negative connotation for me. She was a snob & SO rude, but that’s just my personal experience. It really is an adorable name though.

[name]Portia[/name] is lovely. I adore the Shakespearean connection, and I used to know a little girl named [name]Portia[/name] who wore it so well. I was in love with [name]Portia[/name] for forever because of her. The meaning is a bit off-putting, and I hear that she’ll be teased a lot because of [name]Porsche[/name] (the cars), but I really do love it. I had seriously considered something along the lines of [name]Portia[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] to get to my beloved [name]Posy[/name]. :slight_smile:

I would love to meet another little [name]Portia[/name].

Its funky, old-fashioned, yet cool to me. Kind of a big name to pull off, but definitely usable.

I think [name]Portia[/name] is lovely. I’ve only ever known one, and she’s really pretty and outgoing, so that’s the kind of person I’d imagine with the name. I also love the Shakespearean connections - it gives the name a lovely depth and history. The only downside would be that if someone misheard or didn’t see her name written down, they might think her name was [name]Porsche[/name] or something along THOSE lines. But if it was me, I don’t think it would bother me too much as the name is so nice.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Portia[/name]! [name]One[/name] of my favourite names as well as one of my favourite literary characters of all time (and The Merchant of [name]Venice[/name] is my favourite [name]Shakespeare[/name] play)! The name sounds strong, elegant, and beautiful, like a name with history. I’ve never met a [name]Portia[/name] but if I did it would absolutely wow me.

I don’t know about other places but where I live [name]Portia[/name] is pronounced “por-shah” and [name]Porsche[/name] would be something like “por-shuh”, “pohr-shuh” or even just “porsh”. So nobody would really get mixed up.

I do know one meaning is “pig” but I’m not one to care about literal meanings. Most people wouldn’t know anyway and honestly, I’ve never met anyone who was embarassed that their name had a bad meaning.

I like this name. I was in love with the name [name]Olivia[/name] for the longest time after reading Twelfth [name]Night[/name], and then it got super popular. So I’ve been trying to replace it with [name]Portia[/name], but I haven’t grown to love it as much as [name]Olivia[/name] yet. I do love the character though, so maybe I just need more time. :slight_smile:

I’m with 2gsdchildren on this one.

i love portia. however, as people use the same pronouniation for the car porsche i always cringe that people will thnk she is in the trend of being named after a luxury item which i find trashy

I guess I’m the only one that doesn’t like it even though I see the appeal. I usually don’t like names with a “sh” sound like [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], [name]Alicia[/name], [name]Shannon[/name], [name]Sean[/name]

No offense, but do you just go around and repeat all of [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s opinions? Seems really weird that you always just post what they say instead of posting your own opinion in your own words.

I guess it’s just me, but [name]Portia[/name] (and especially the car spelling) has always struck me as a trashy name associated with being low class. Maybe cause I always think of the trendy car names as strippers anyways. Sorry!

I like the look and sound of it but not the meaning.

The meaning is pig which puts people off but I think it is a very beautiful and classic girl’s name that should see more usage.

rollo