Primrose too out there?

My wife and I are having terrible trouble seeing eye-to-eye when it comes to naming out daughter. We both like the name [name]Primrose[/name] (probably shortened to Prim most of the time) but fear it is too weird. What are your thoughts? [name]Will[/name] she be the playground joke?

[name]Imo[/name], it is a little out there for a fn but could make a great mn.

I love it and think it is very usable!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

Definitely too ‘out there’. I sure wouldn’t like introducing myself as [name]Primrose[/name]. You could use it as kind of a nickname for [name]Rose[/name], or as a middle, though… I think it’d be a great middle name for something more classic-- [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Julia[/name] [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]…

I’d say it’s a little too out there for a full name. All it makes me think of is [name]Primrose[/name] [name]Way[/name], and I hated that book in middle school. I do think it could make a nice middle name though, assuming it was paired with something classic.
Good luck!

While pretty & sweet, I think it is a bit too “out there” to use as a first name (and a little too
“prim” if you know what I mean). But it would make a neat middle name paired with something more classic, as irisrose & janebrandon have said. I really like the classic names irisrose suggested to pair with [name]Primrose[/name]-they are all so lovely with it! Off the top of my head, I think [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Claire[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]/[name]Clara[/name] [name]Primrose[/name], and [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Primrose[/name] are nice combos. Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

~*~Nameseeker3

I think it is perfectly useable - my only hesitation is personal and because I had a pony called Miss Prim as a child!

i like [name]Primrose[/name]! very cute. BUT it could be a name that causes certain assumptions about your child or playground torture. It just sounds a bit uppity. Maybe an alternative could be [name]Rosalie[/name]? Thats one of my current [name]Favorite[/name] names. If you like the name it will suit your soon to be daughter beautifully though! so pick what you love!

Speaking as someone who plans on naming her first daughter [name]Amethyst[/name] Poinsettia, nicknamed [name]Mysti[/name], I say you should definitely go for this beautiful name! Although I think I would be more likely to call her [name]Rosie[/name] for short, not Prim.

I quite like [name]Primrose[/name] but it may cause teasing for your daughter in the future (Miss Prim and Proper). Children can be very cruel. Having said that, I do believe that it depends alot on where you live. [name]Primrose[/name] may be heard more in [name]Britain[/name] than in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you live in a conservative town or more liberal minded city? Are there children in your area with other unusual names? I agree with the other Nameberries that [name]Primrose[/name] would make a great middle name.
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Simone[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Regina[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Claire[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]

I’m going to have to go with too out there. I do think it could work for some kids, but whether or not it can be carried off, or is a source of embarrassment is going to have a lot to do with the personality of the kid. I would have disliked being named [name]Primrose[/name] as a child, and I tel you----I am sure it would have been laughed at plenty at the school I attended. Granted naming has gotten a lot more permissive since we were kids, and also, much of whether this stuff can be carried off has to do with the circles you run in. But only so much of that is possible for you to know at the outset. As an adult, it’s kind of unimaginable to me. But again, I do think most adults, by the time they get that far, just ‘can’t imagine themselves as anything else’. I do think it’s cute in the middle spot though—and then you could call her that for fun when you want to. [name]Just[/name] my two cents…

The french translation is

Primev”re

Which I think is awesome! Prim-ev-air like [name]Guenevere[/name] with Prim.

Reminds me of well loved-

[name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Guenevere[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

Why is it too out there? It is a flower name. Not some character in a comic book.
Kids find a way to make fun of anything. My husband tested this out during our naming process and could come up with something horrible for every name!!
I grew up with kids [name]Hunter[/name] (g), [name]Monty[/name] ([name]Montana[/name], g), [name]Chandler[/name]. All in the 80s. And now these are popular.
There is nothing wrong with it - it is a sweet name. You like it, you go for it.

I think it is more acceptable if you are in the UK but I see it becoming more familiar in the US especially because of the book series ‘The Hunger Games’ which is gaining more and more popularity here in the US, one of the characters in the book is named [name]Primrose[/name] with the nickname ‘Prim’

I can never understand quite how a name is too ‘out-there’ either. Can you imagine the first mother who said-

“I think I’ll call her [name]Rose[/name].”

“WHAT!??!?!?!?!?! You mean like a flower?!?!?!”

:wink:

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

If you both like it, I say go for it! She can always go by [name]Rose[/name] if she wants something more “normal”. Besides, I’ve heard much stranger names.

People on here write about [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Lake[/name] etc all the time.
[name]Primrose[/name] is one of the least “offending” of names to me! It is nature people!
Besides, why is it ok to make a name like [name]Cayden[/name] or [name]Brayden[/name] etc but not use a flower/nature name??

Why is it too out there? It is a flower name.

Agreed. Think it’s a pretty name and don’t think it’s too out there.

It is a pretty name, but I would very much have disliked being named [name]Primrose[/name]. Prim is a lot to live up to, or live down. [name]Lake[/name] and [name]Wren[/name] (and [name]Rose[/name]) are different, in my opinion, since they aren’t adjectives but nouns that bring up nice images…Prim just sounds snooty to me. I’d love it as a middle name though, which she could choose to go by when she’s older if she liked.

I think its possible this name could work as a first name, mostly because it has a nickname that is totally normal ([name]Rose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name], etc.). I personally wouldn’t use it for a first name, but I love unique names that you don’t hear everyday but arent impossible to pronounce and spell. If you love it, do it. I dont think its too out there if you love it.
That being said if you think it is too out there, what a great middle name it makes too!