Recommend a boy name!

That’s a good point. But then so would a boy named [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] who grew up to like boating, [name_m]Colt[/name_m] if he grew up to like horses, [name_u]Holden[/name_u] if he grew up to like cars. It’s a common issue to run into I think.

3 Likes

Ivar/Ivo- I don’t think we hear this enough in the UK. I think it’s handsome and strong.

Raphael- I hope this name will make a big come back. It’s timeless, classic sounding and the nickname Raph is just so sweet.

Casper- wish it would lose its Casper the friendly ghost imagery. As it’s a gorgeous name.

@Harvest-Endellion I agree about Douglas, my partner has Scottish and Scandinavian ancestry. Our surname is Màckenzie, with roots from clan Màckenzie in Scotland. I don’t understand why Douglas isn’t a common name. It’s fun.

Another name is Fraser. We would love to use this as a middle for a boy. It’s a top contender at the moment

8 Likes

Laurence is nice

5 Likes

Definitely agree! [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] is my current #2 for boys, I think.

It’s funny, I‘ve met loads of little Raphaels and a fair few Caspers! [name_u]Love[/name_u] those as well.

1 Like

Timothy

My love for [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] goes back to the [name_f]Busy[/name_f] [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] books of my childhood and to my old boyfriend’s cute baby brother, [name_m]Timmy[/name_m], and to a cute boy I went to school with who had the crinkly hair and smile of [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f].

While I’ve met the occasional [name_m]Tim[/name_m], it is not used often where I live.

I love [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] as a word. It is beautiful to say with its t and th sounds and how the y wraps it up nicely at the end (like [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] or [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]). I think there is a plant - maybe a grass - named timothy.

And [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] as a little boy nn I adore.

9 Likes

[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] is such and underrated vintage name! [name_m]Tim[/name_m]/Timmy are definitely dated, but as a full name it’s so sweet. [name_m]Otto[/name_m] could be a really cool nickname for it even though a bit of a stretch. [name_m]Timo[/name_m]?

2 Likes

I still adore [name_m]Timmy[/name_m], though only as a private nn or little boy nn. I don’t mind [name_m]Tim[/name_m]. I think I’d call him [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] most of the time though since that’s the form I really love.

1 Like

Arben - Albanian name with a cool sound!
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] - It feels so nerdy-cute to me!
[name_m]Ludwig[/name_m] - I thought it was too heavy until I met one. The nickname Lud is really cool. I also love [name_m]Ludo[/name_m] as a full name, like the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character!

4 Likes

I love [name_u]Timothy[/name_u]! Such a sweet and subtle nature connection. Althougth I hate [name_m]Tim[/name_m]/Timmy because they remind me of the word timid. I’m hoping Timothee Chalamet’s career helps re-launch [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] in full.

1 Like

It might just. He annoys me deeply, but if he moves the name [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] forward, great!

1 Like

I’m not even going to tell you which family member is named [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], haha :wink: I agree though: I love the three-syllable, ee-ending rhythm, it’s so jaunty. And [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] feels soft and calm and classic to boot.

2 Likes

Ohhhhh I forgot [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]! I love [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] so much, soft sounding but strong, a nature name, so pretty. I would love if [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] became more popular for boys :heart:

8 Likes

I never thought myself to have ESP before. :slight_smile:

Yes, how exciting that a name can be both jaunty and soft and calm and classic …

I love
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_m]Grayling[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_m]Ward[/name_m]

Let me talk about [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] for a bit because I think that it is a vintage gem ripe for the picking! It’s just such a sweet name for a boy, especially with nn ‘[name_m]Gil[/name_m]’. Plus, there’s [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] for a great namesake – most charming love interest in literary history, fight me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But seriously. It has a strong and classy sound and a very down-to-earth vibe, would wear wear well on any age, and is in that familiar-yet-uncommon sweet spot. Am I alone in thinking he deserves more love?

10 Likes

I have only half an argument, because I’ve never read [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, but c’mon, Mr. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is pretty awesome!

3 Likes

I still stand by my opinion, but I do love [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]. :blush:

3 Likes

I love [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]! I plan on using him <3

3 Likes

Rainer! [name_m]Rainer[/name_m] [name_u]Maria[/name_u] Rilke is my favorite poet, so I’ve always wanted to use part of his name. Rilke doesn’t have the best sound, so I chose the soft, but striking [name_m]Rainer[/name_m]. I see [name_m]Rainier[/name_m] like the mountain and [name_u]Rain[/name_u]/Raine on here a lot, but never [name_m]Rainer[/name_m].

Also [name_m]Baxter[/name_m]. It’s an old family name for me, but with the love that [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] gets on here, I’m always surprised that it’s not more popular.

5 Likes

Fabian! It’s such a sweet name. It fits in with the other more common -ian names ([name_m]Adrian[/name_m], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], etc.) while still being different and less common.

4 Likes

Gordon

I’ve only known two: one, a close relative, and two, my childhood dentist.

I like this name’s Scots ancestry, its upright quality, its definite ending, and the nns of [name_m]Gordy[/name_m], [name_m]Gordie[/name_m], [name_u]Orrie[/name_u].

I love the idea of boy siblings named [name_m]Gordon[/name_m] and [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].

1 Like