Recommend a boy name!

What’s a boy name you feel deserves more appreciation? Sell it to your fellow Berries here!

I’ll start…

Maxence

Max is a very fashionable nickname right now, but somehow this longer form seems to still be under the radar outside of France, even though the sounds and style translate well into English.

It’s got the dashing, dignified vibe of Lawrence/Laurence and the cool, funky X sound — plus it’s virtually unique (in the literal sense) outside of France, without being at all “unique” (in the style sense).

Girl version here :point_down:

10 Likes

Adlai! It sounds so dignified to me. It could work perfectly on a baby, but also suits an adult. It sounds similar to other popular names like [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], etc, but has a unique flair. It’s perhaps most famous wearer is the 1950’s politician, so it’s got history (in case anyone wants to be able to say it’s not made up). It also could have the gender neutral nickname [name_f]Addy[/name_f]. To me, it has a quiet elegance, but could fit just about any personality type.

14 Likes

Eben!

It’s gentle and offbeat, but it doesn’t feel insubstantial or contrived. It’s not commonly used but is easy to spell and say, and sounds enough like more popular names to feel familiar. It is also more understated than [name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m] with fewer connotations. It fits well with short vowel names that are popular now!

17 Likes

Adlai is fantastic! I’ve been thinking that it’s ready for a comeback.

2 Likes

Yes! I keep adding it to NB lists — it’s so cool and so rare!

How is this not more popular yet?!

These are so sweet; similar energy to [name_m]Maxence[/name_m] actually! I love [name_u]Jem[/name_u] or [name_f]Clary[/name_f] as male nicknames too :heart:

4 Likes

I also wana vouch for [name_m]Elvin[/name_m]. Like a cross between geeky (which is a good thing in my book) [name_m]Alvin[/name_m] and retro cool [name_m]Elvis[/name_m], this is right in the sweet spot for me. It also is similar to the adorable and pretty [name_f]Elva[/name_f]. I love the meaning, “noble friend.” Who wouldn’t find that positively aspirational for their baby?

5 Likes

Yes, I love elfin names (especially at this time of year!) [name_m]Elvin[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Elwyn[/name_m], which I adore too. The former PM [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] has a son named [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] Elwen, known as Elwen :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[name_m]Linus[/name_m]! As a little boy’s name, [name_m]Linus[/name_m] is sweet and charming, with the association of the Peanuts character to help others warm to it! As a grown man’s name, [name_m]Linus[/name_m] feels quite distinguished and academic to me! Such a handsome name, and I can’t believe it isn’t more popular!

15 Likes

I have both [name_m]Adlai[/name_m] and [name_m]Eben[/name_m] on my long list, so I’m certainly happy to see them here!

My suggestion: Rylan! It’s so gentle and sweet, but also feels adventurous and cool. I like that it’s similar to [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] but a bit softer- it just sounds so friendly! It’s also a unisex name with a nature meaning (island meadow), which tend to be well-liked on here!

7 Likes

Linus is so cute! I love the Peanuts connection. It would be on my list if I could get my bf behind it.

2 Likes

This is definitely one of those names that I’m scared to bring up down the line! :joy:

3 Likes

Ashby! ash-bee

It usually get vetoed in Love Like Lose games but I think it’s charming. It’s a more elegant take on [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- names like [name_u]Asher[/name_u] & [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] IMO

7 Likes

I grew up in a town called [name_u]Ashby[/name_u] so I have a soft spot for this one for sure :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]! So elegant and stately and handsome!

6 Likes

Emlyn! It’s a welsh boy’s name that I think gets pushed to the side because it sounds a little ‘feminine’. I find it gentle but interesting, rugged but sweet!

9 Likes

Leonardo! I honestly am not sure if it is that un-popular anymore, but we’ve never had a bad [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] (DaVinci, Fibonacci, DiCaprio…) so I say we bring it back! [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is popular, so why not [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]!

2 Likes

Edmund!

Has a friendly and cosy feel, while still sounding regal. And the sweet nickname [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] :heart: There are other options too! It’s both sweet and strong at the same time, there’s nothing cutesy in it but still makes me smile.

10 Likes

Yes, I always forget this one but I absolutely love it! I have heard of one or two IRL – so warm and cosy sounding.

Jem! A traditional nickname for [name_u]James[/name_u] that became a stand-alone in its own right. Short, sweet, simple, and beautiful.

18 Likes

LOVE [name_u]Jem[/name_u]! It’s firmly on my own list :heart:

5 Likes