Recommend a girl name!

What’s a girl name you feel deserves more appreciation? Sell it to your fellow Berries here!

I’ll start…

[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]

With vintage names, strong V sounds and sweet -ie endings all fashionable at the moment, I think [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] deserves a second look. It has the same flowy rhythm as on trend names like [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], and a wonderful meaning to boot!

It was my wonderful grandmother’s name, and although it feels just as strong as the names of her friends the same age – like [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] and [name_f]Gladys[/name_f] – it’s got a clean, upbeat, feminine sound which I think makes it feel a little more timeless.

Boy version linked below! :point_down:

33 Likes

[name_f]Dinah[/name_f].

This name checks boxes a lot of berries have. It’s not common, has a long history (a Biblical name with a vintage feel), has literary connotations, is striking but easy to spell and pronounce, and it has the classic feminine “a” sound without being a bit frilly. Despite this, I never see it on this site!

I have a family member named [name_f]Dinah[/name_f] that makes me love this name more.

20 Likes

Mine would be

Vanessa. I think this is so beautiful with a lovely meaning but it is still retaining its 80s (decade) association I think.

Henriette. I love this version of [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]. It is sweet without being too frilly.

Thomasina. I love this so much. It’s lively, interesting and unique. Also a great way of honouring a [name_m]Thomas[/name_m].

Jemima. Honestly don’t know why this isn’t more popular. It’s got a lovely melodic sound and the NN [name_u]Jem[/name_u] is pretty. Like a little gem/jewel.

18 Likes

Yes! [name_f]Dinah[/name_f] is fab. I first encountered it as the name of [name_f]Alice[/name_f]’s kitten in Alice in Wonderland, plus it’s the name of the heroine of a series of children’s adventure books from my childhood: The Demon Headmaster. More reasons to love it!

6 Likes

I remember reading the book and being very excited to see the name! The [name_f]Dinah[/name_f] I know has yet to meet another [name_f]Dinah[/name_f], so I think it would be nice for her to meet a baby with the name!

3 Likes

Velma and [name_f]Wilma[/name_f]

Maybe it’s just the Scooby-Doo lover in me, but I definitely love the old fashioned feel of [name_f]Velma[/name_f] and [name_f]Wilma[/name_f]! Both names are pretty similar, but they each have their own spunky qualities that make them feel fresh. [name_f]Wilma[/name_f] seems like a fun alternative to [name_f]Willa[/name_f], while maybe a bit clunkier and older. [name_f]Wilma[/name_f] could also go by [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_m]Will[/name_m], etc. [name_f]Velma[/name_f] has such a cool V sound at the beginning that it feels fresh. While both seem to be more clunky and old fashioned, I think they could deserve some more love.

17 Likes

I really love this one. I understand why it isn’t popular in the US (due to the connection with a racist trope) but in the UK I think it has so much potential.

I always think of [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] together — they feel like a stylistic trio to me — and of those, [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] feels the least like an “acquired taste”, so the fact that it’s so much lower in popularity really is mystifying.

Maybe it’s the similarity to [name_f]Jemma[/name_f]/Gemma and the puddleduck connection? :thinking:

8 Likes

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
I see it mentioned, but it definitely deserves more appreciation. So classic and beautiful

[name_f]Amy[/name_f]
Girly and vintage without being too “out there”

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
This seems like something more people would like. It’s simple and classic without being too dated.

20 Likes

I’m really crushing on the -elma names since @Harvest-[name_u]Endellion[/name_u] mentioned [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] the other day! [name_f]Selma[/name_f] is my fave, but [name_f]Velma[/name_f] is definitely intriguing too.

7 Likes

Yes! [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] ( I love as you know) and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] deffo would make a lovely triplet set.

Same as [name_u]Romilly[/name_u] and [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]

4 Likes

I have to vouch for my everlasting love, [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]. I first came across it as the sister of poet [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m], with the nickname [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]. Honestly, the genderneutral/genderbent nickname is what really sells me. Is [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] not the cutest name on a girl? But [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] also is so beautiful. I think it has a gorgeous flow. Maybe it’s bias from being a [name_f]Lily[/name_f], but I really like names that start with Ls, and I think the V in the middle gives it some spring. It’s an ancient name, but to me it sounds Victorian, which I think is so in right now, while still being an offbeat choice. There’s also the nickname [name_f]Nia[/name_f] for those who aren’t sold on [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u], and I think these nickname options make it more versatile.

26 Likes

Loads of potential with [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]! I think I’d go for [name_f]Liv[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I’d go for [name_u]Vinny[/name_u] (with the -y, because I prefer that to -ie), since Lavvy is not super usable due to the lavatory connection. (I never thought of this until I read some comments for the name, and now I can’t unthink it). I love [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]! It feels dark and light at the same time, with such an elegant and rare sound.

3 Likes

Hey my name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f]! Haha glad to see it getting love

3 Likes

Of course, it’s got to be [name_f]Laura[/name_f]! [name_f]Laura[/name_f] is so sweet and friendly! I fell it should be more popular considering it’s similarity to [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Alora[/name_f], and I feel it has the same elegant feel as those, while still being a true classic! I think it has a lot of spunk to it! Also, the [name_m]Little[/name_m] House on the [name_u]Prairie[/name_u] association is wonderful!

17 Likes

I’m going to say Elaine. I think it gets pushed aside for being dated, when I personally think it’s lovely and timeless- it’s both elegant and strong. It sounds so beautiful to say out loud. Plus, you can’t beat the nickname options of [name_f]Lainey[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_u]Lane[/name_u], and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. The meaning of ‘bright, shining light’ is lovely, and it’s generally just such a sweet name. The spelling [name_f]Elain[/name_f] is also nice, and feels like a fairy name to me :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

Definitely! I love this spelling. [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] is lovely too though. Part mum name, maybe, but also part Arthurian romance.

2 Likes

Another one! [name_f]Bree[/name_f]! It has such a pretty sound, and is one of the only names that ends in -ee that actually looks complete to me.

6 Likes

I know sisters with these names (from UK living in the US)! They were both very popular in the school and I think of that [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] before I think of “Aunt [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]” - all it takes is knowing one person with the name for some of these associations to be forgotten

4 Likes

Annabelle

It’s my ALL TIME favorite name, and I’m determined to name my future daughter [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]. Because of the horror film, people are afraid to use the name, but I’ll just keep loving the name and never watch the movie! There are so many nn options, like [name_f]Annie[/name_f] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] as a baby and little girl, and then [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Belle[/name_f] as she gets older.

10 Likes