Recommend a girl name!

Ruth and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].

Ruth - especially now, in honor of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_m]Bader[/name_m] Ginsberg.

18 Likes

Oooh I’m seconding [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f] and [name_f]Amy[/name_f]!

Tansy
I love [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] so much, and I’m always surprised I don’t see her more often on berries’ lists. She’s floral without being frilly, rare but easy to spell and pronounce. She’s got interesting history as a herbal medicine. And I just love that spiky T sound!

Mara
Another one that I’m surprised I don’t see more. So tailored and chic! Perfect honor name for any [name_f]Mary[/name_f]/Marian/Marie, etc. She’s both cozy and Big City, you know what I mean?

Sally
I’m ready for the revival! And I predict we’ll start to see more of her soon. Fits in with multiple current trends and the nickname [name_u]Sal[/name_u] is :heart_eyes:

17 Likes

Me too :heart_eyes: The midcentury names are coming and I’m ready!

6 Likes

Helena

I think this is a beautiful, modern take on [name_f]Helen[/name_f], which is a gorgeous name but just a bit dated. I think [name_f]Helena[/name_f] brings the modernity it needs, yet it is still vintage in itself!

13 Likes

I’m going to recommend [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]. It’s the original spelling and I think it just looks more aesthetically pleasing. It also has a whimsical sound and a magical meaning :wink:

11 Likes

Leona.

Short but not incomplete, feminine but not frilly, vintage but not dated, this name has a perfect balance of everything. It has a elegant and serious feel, but not too serious for a child either. So many nickname options: [name_m]Leo[/name_m] for a tomboy, [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] for a bubbly personality, [name_f]Leni[/name_f] for a sweet girl… so many options. It fits in today’s trends well (similar to [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f] etc.) while still sounding unusual.

17 Likes

Definitely Truley! I think it’s her time shine again! Also [name_f]Judith[/name_f] nn [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. Bring them back :star_struck:

4 Likes

Keziah! It has that bright i sound of [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f], it has that kicking K of [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] and [name_f]Keira[/name_f] and that unusual Z of [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_f]Zara[/name_f]. Plus it’s biblical but underused

11 Likes

Wilmotine. At least consider her! This is a charming name and provides the nicknames [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Wilma[/name_f]. Wilmotine has a [name_u]French[/name_u] charm and a clunky sweetness. I feminised the boy’s name [name_m]Wilmot[/name_m] to create this name, but I am sure there have been and still are some Wilmotines out there somewhere.

1 Like

Another one…

Leda

I know it has a heavy mythological backstory, but it’s certainly not alone in that! Most of the mythological names have a very chequered history behind them, and yet others have caught on regardless.

Leda has the same simple, sweet, sleek appeal that names like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] have, but none of the popularity. Only 17 births in 2019! I’d love to see it considered more.

18 Likes

[name_f]Fiorella[/name_f]
A whimsical, melodic, underused flower name. Fits in with the ella names along with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]/Josephine while still feeling distinct and incredibly original.
Reminds me of dewy grass, ribbons, and paper dolls.

9 Likes

I came here to say [name_f]Laura[/name_f] as well! I am watching Game of Thrones right now (I need to catch up with the rest of the world :joy:), but [name_f]Laura[/name_f] could suit [name_f]Ygritte[/name_f] or [name_f]Cersei[/name_f], born of the wild or royalty. [name_f]Laura[/name_f]’s elegant and soft while also having a depth to her that could be heard roaring across a field or whispered under moonlight :heart: She’s got a “lore” to her, while also being well-known, but extremely low in the naming charts.

I love [name_f]Laura[/name_f] :star2:

2 Likes

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is astonishingly popular despite never reaching trendy levels in the modern era. I’ve done pretty extensive name searching and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] might be the most well-beloved name I’ve ever come across. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] unites unique baby namers and classic baby namers alike. She’s classic, warm, and perfect for the global village. [name_f]My[/name_f] profile picture is of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from Killing [name_f]Eve[/name_f], so I always picture a Russian woman tucked away into the woods wearing a traditional dress. Anna is oh, so completely bewitching because she is just light enough to suit a fairy, but sturdy enough to demand respect. Also, [name_f]Annie[/name_f] is a super cute nickname!

8 Likes

I’ll add Phaedra to the mix! Not enough people know about her tragedy for the name to be deemed unusable (although the story is ripe with gasp-inducing reactions if people do read up on her).

Nonetheless, the sound is gorgeous, so I figure that Phaedra is due a resurrection. Plus, she’s got a lovely meaning of “bright” and Phae is the quintessential fairy nickname :leaves::sparkles:

11 Likes

Fenella
Nickname potential. Lots.

7 Likes

Aria - I really wish that [name_f]Aria[/name_f] got more love on NB. It’s one of my favorite names! And I love the sound :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I really like that name too!

1 Like

Wilhelmina :heart:
Besides being my favorite name in the whole world, it’s strong, sophisticated, and feminine and offers so many cute, quirky nicknames: [name_u]Elm[/name_u], [name_m]Wim[/name_m], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_u]Billie[/name_u], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_m]Wills[/name_m], Helmie, [name_m]Lemmy[/name_m], etc.
Classic without ever being overused, and has a long history. Fits in well with all the ‘clunky’ vintage names coming back ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]). [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] always makes me think of old Victorian novels and violets and ballrooms and long, elegant dresses. I’d love to see it used more.

9 Likes

Regan

Why am I the only one that loves this name? (I pronounce it REE-guhn). It’s Shakespearean (I prefer it over [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]), feminine without being fussy, neat and understated. I love just about anything beginning with R, or Br - just love those deep, warm, earthy sounds. I love ‘g’ in a name - it’s an under-rated letter. And I love names that end in consonants for girls - they sound somehow more intelligent to me. For me, [name_u]Regan[/name_u] is like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] (get those 'r’s and 'g’s!) strong, smart, intelligent!

8 Likes

Eve, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_f]Ann[/name_f]

I think they are such a pretty simplistic choice that are completely underused and underrated. Most people say that these three choices are ‘boring’ and they seem to just to be used as middle names which is a shame. They all have lovely meanings [name_f]Eve[/name_f] meaning ‘life’, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] meaning ‘G-d is gracious’ and [name_f]Ann[/name_f] meaning ‘grace’ which are all beautiful. I think it would be so refreshing to see little [name_f]Eve[/name_f]’s, [name_f]Jane[/name_f]’s & [name_f]Ann[/name_f]’s running around. Such gorgeous names!

11 Likes