Recommend a girl name!

Fully agree! Despite the popularity of the “[name_f]Eve[/name_f]” names, [name_f]Eve[/name_f] itself is actually still astonishingly unusual. I think it’s the best of the bunch by far – simple, sleek and perfectly balanced :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Sonya! [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Sonja[/name_f]! [name_u]Love[/name_u] both spellings.

With the popularity of “long-o” names and [name_f]Anya[/name_f] (also lovely!) around here, I’m surprised I don’t see this one getting more attention. It feels recognizable and classic without ever having been— at least where I live— so popular it feels overdone. Also a great alternative to the lovely (but entirely too popular these days) [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] overall a beautiful and elegant name.

Side note: @Araminty I love [name_u]Regan[/name_u]! And [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], actually. Basically any name in [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m].

11 Likes

Pandora
I never hear it on nameberry and I don’t know why. It fits in with current trends of greek mythology names such as [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. Its similar in sound to the rising [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]. The meaning is also so beautiful “all gifted.” It offers the cutest nicknames Panda and [name_f]Dora[/name_f] which makes this name even more desirable. [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] makes me think of a curious little girl exploring the woods. I hope i sold you on this name :orange_heart:

11 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this one :heart_eyes: I recently met a little [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] “Panda” in the wild — adorable!

I think the legend probably puts parents off, unfortunately, even though anyone would have opened that box!!

6 Likes

Odette!

I wish [name_f]Odette[/name_f] got more love on here! It’s so romantic, classic and dreamy; conjuring up images of swans and tutus and shimmering lakes… yet has a strong kind of sound to it and feels very confident. I think it should be popular in the trendy community, and I’m surprised it isn’t.

Also, [name_f]Astra[/name_f].

With [name_f]Aster[/name_f] getting so much love on the NB forums, and the trends in general favouring shorter, a-ending, often celestial names ([name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_u]Nova[/name_u] etc) I often wonder why [name_f]Astra[/name_f] hasn’t caught on. I think it’s so pretty and really wearable, easy to spell and pronounce, but very rare.

14 Likes

Be still my heart, I’m squealing.

6 Likes

Kassarine - It’s both feminine and strong, and has the popular ‘[name_u]Cass[/name_u]’ sound at the beginning. Nickname [name_f]Kassie[/name_f]!

Ani - Got to sell you on my daughter’s new name. Most people say they prefer [name_f]Annie[/name_f], but why? This name is pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-ni, and is beautiful and sweet, but also quietly powerful.

Astrid - The name of my good friend. It’s strong and powerful. Some people say it sounds kind of harsh. Maybe it’s just because of my friend, but I think it’s kind of sweet sounding.

Integrity - I have to make a pitch about my own name. I still don’t believe that my mum knew what she was doing when she named me this, but it’s a good value and has, in my opinion, an amazing nickname: [name_m]Ty[/name_m]!

5 Likes

Rosamonde

Firstly, this doesn’t get enough love regardless of the spelling. But, it also doesn’t get enough love because nearly everyone that I’ve encountered prefers [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]. But why? Think about it. Study how [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] looks, and then study how [name_f]Rosamonde[/name_f] looks. [name_f]Rosamonde[/name_f] is romantic and elegant and holds beauty in places that [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] lacks it. The “onde” looks so much more romantic than the “und”, does it not?

Not to mention the meaning! I understand that horses aren’t everyone’s thing that they love, but it means “horse protector” and “pure rose”. How can that not melt you? :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::revolving_hearts: And with the possibility of more modern nicknames such as Mondy, [name_m]Monty[/name_m], or even [name_f]Monday[/name_f], it appeals to a larger crowd than it would first appear to.

13 Likes

Casiphia… It’s biblical and yet familiar sounding… Reminiscent of [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] but also has a mythical sound like [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] or [name_f]Calista[/name_f]

Odessa… A cross between [name_f]Odette[/name_f] and [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], with a smoky eastern European vibe. I also love it as it’s pronouncable in many languages!

8 Likes

Ok this is less about a name and more about a nickname but [name_f]Katie[/name_f] for sure does not get enough love on here. Though, I know there’s a strong preference for less popular names on the forums. I could also list just about every popular name from the 80s and 90s.

6 Likes

It does, but that’s exactly what I love about [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]! It’s everything that isn’t conventionally beautiful, but that makes it more beautiful and idiosyncratic to me. [name_f]Rosamonde[/name_f] is stunning too, though :blush:

5 Likes

I’ve had this name forever, but I don’t really see in on Nameberry and I really, really love it— [name_f]Layla[/name_f]. It’s probably a bit boring to you berries, but adore the sound of it. It’s so versatile and could fit easily on a child or adult. I prefer the [name_f]Layla[/name_f] spelling over the [name_f]Leila[/name_f] spelling for sure, and I love how musical it sounds to the ear.

Another name that I rarely see but love: [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. Welsh, if memory serves, and its sound is so pleasing to the ear. It ends in an -n, which I love for a girl, and comes with nicknames like Rhi or [name_f]Annie[/name_f]. It’s also ver versatile, and I think that it deserves a lot more love!

Out of the two, my favorite is definitely [name_f]Layla[/name_f]— it just seems so romantic!

8 Likes

I also adore the name [name_u]Regan[/name_u] (though I spell it [name_u]Reagan[/name_u]).

1 Like

I’m also going to recommend [name_f]Rosenwyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Demelza[/name_f]. These are both stunning Cornish names that I never hear about on the forum! They have lovely nature meanings as well.

9 Likes

Oh my goodness, you’re named [name_f]Integrity[/name_f]! I freaking love virtue names… this is awesome!

1 Like

I feel like I would pronounce them differently. [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] with an -un, and [name_f]Rosamonde[/name_f] with an -on.

3 Likes

Demelza is one of my faves! I suggested it to my husband once and he just went :face_with_raised_eyebrow: but it’s so witchy and magical and fresh. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the character in Poldark, too. I have [name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Demelza[/name_f] on my list, and even though I can’t use it, I really love it!

4 Likes

I would have to recommend [name_u]Stacy[/name_u]! I think it sounds so sweet even though some people see mean high school girl or the song “[name_u]Stacy[/name_u]’s mom”. I love nn [name_f]Stace[/name_f] and I think that it can be so fresh on a girl today!

Focusing on the top…
I literally love the name [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]! It’s actually on my list but I have a third-cousin named [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] and another named [name_f]Valeria[/name_f] so it’s never been too high on my list!

5 Likes

Amadea - Its the feminine version of [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], I think its so pretty and I love the musical connection

13 Likes

I’m torn between [name_f]Éliane[/name_f] and [name_f]Tirzah[/name_f].

Tirzah is so fiery and fun to say, has that zippy Z, and some really great namesakes (Zelophehad’s daughters in the Bible were amazing—convinced [name_m]Moses[/name_m] to allow them to inherit their father’s land in a time when women inherited nothing! [name_m]Just[/name_m] to keep the land in the family—and [name_m]Judah[/name_m] ben Hur’s sister is a noteworthy namesake, too), and has the lovely meaning of “favorable”.

Éliane is more modern than [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], has all the appeal of [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and then some, but somehow is virtually unknown. It boggles me?!

I would love to see both of these gain more favor. :heart:

12 Likes