Rename Harry's kids

Not sure if this should go under [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games or not. I just finished the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series (again for the millionth time) and I got me thinking what would you rename [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and Ginny’s kids? To me, they are unoriginal and there are others they could’ve honored. You can use part of their current name, start from scratch, or chose other characters to honor. Here are their current names:
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Severus[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

3 Likes

obviously james & lily were important to him, & sirius does deserve to be on that list as well. snape doesn’t, in my opinion, & molly weasley & hagrid both definitely do. luna always seemed like a kind of odd addition to the list ?? this is my rename:

james rubeus potter
albus sirius potter
lily molly potter

7 Likes

This always annoyed me too! I understand [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_m]Albus[/name_m] and [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] as those were all significant figures to him. I definitely don’t understand why he honoured Snape and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] over other more important people in his life. I think I’d name them:

[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

4 Likes

[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Remus[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Fred[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Seren[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

I know the last one is completely out of left field but I think that [name_u]Harry[/name_u] & [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] would have wanted some creativity

2 Likes

I was just thinking about this the other day! I’m of the opinion that the kids should have had first names that don’t honor specific people, because that’s a lot of weight and history to put on those kids, and I think they need to be allowed to be their own people. But middle names can be strong honor names.

[name_m]Hartford[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] (hartford to honor his parents patronuses)
[name_m]Lowell[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Remus[/name_m] (Lowell meaning wolf cub to honor [name_m]Remus[/name_m] and Sirus)
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] (Lyra for the tradition of using constelations, meaning harp or lyre)

5 Likes

I totally agree! At least give them their own name for one of the names.

1 Like

[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Hartford[/name_m]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]

1 Like

So I did some research… since [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] share a mutual love for Quidditch, I looked up what types of wood the brooms are made with and then found names that correspond.

So [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] have:
[name_u]Asher[/name_u] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

2 Likes

Jack Sirius Potter
Frederick James “Freddie” Potter
Hazel Lily Potter
Jack, Freddie, and Hazel

Jack similar to James, Frederick similar to Fred Weasley, and Hazel similar to Hermione :relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t think Serverus or [name_f]Luna[/name_f] needed to be honored. I agree with pp that [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m] should’ve been honored somehow. I think he and [name_m]Remus[/name_m] were better father figures than [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] was. I was kinda upset that she didn’t include [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] Weasley and I definitely think they should have been honored. Also I could see [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] wanted their last names hyphenated, but I’m gonna leave it just [name_m]Potter[/name_m] for now

Perhaps…
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Remus[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] “Jack”
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] Rubeus [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Prewett[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (Prewett is Molly’s maiden name, I believe. Please correct me if I’m wrong)

3 Likes

If I had to rename:
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
Rubeus [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

1 Like

I love the suggestion of [name_m]Prewett[/name_m]! I also think [name_m]Evans[/name_m] would be a great first name option
Another set of 3

[name_m]Evans[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Remus[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_m]Prewett[/name_m] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] “Pip”
[name_u]Hartlee[/name_u] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u]

2 Likes

I would give them three names each, with the first one being their own.
So something like…

Theodore James Sirius “Theo”
Henry Severus Albus
Elizabeth Molly Luna “Lily”

I can understand why Severus was chosen, giving the name to his own child was probably the only way the world would believe Snape chose the right side in the end, which seemed important to Harry.

1 Like

[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u] [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

[name_u]James[/name_u] - [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronald[/name_m] - [name_m]Ron[/name_m] Weasley
[name_m]Sirius[/name_m] - [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Black[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u] - [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Evans[/name_m]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] - [name_m]Albus[/name_m] Dumbledore
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u] - the Weasleys
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] - [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Weasley
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]James[/name_u] Rubeus [name_m]Evans[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

• [name_u]James[/name_u] after his father
  • Rubeus after [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Evans[/name_m] after his mother’s maiden name

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Prewett[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

• [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] after her father
  • [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] after his godfather
  • [name_m]Prewett[/name_m] after her mother’s maiden name

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

• [name_f]Lily[/name_f] after his mother
  • [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] after [name_m]Fred[/name_m] Weasley
  • [name_f]Luna[/name_f] after [name_m]Remus[/name_m] [name_u]Lupin[/name_u] “Moony” and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] Lovegood
1 Like

i would drop severus??? idk why he would name his son after snape, considering what an @$$hole he was to him as a kid.

also, i’d drop Luna. EVeryone else was named after dead people but Luna just got stuck in there.

Remus Alastor Cedric
Albus Sirius
Lily Fredricka (after Fred)

2 Likes

I thought about [name_m]Evans[/name_m] too, or just [name_u]Evan[/name_u].

1 Like

I agree with others that honoring Snape was ridiculous. Yeah he had a whole redemption arc and whatever, but he still literally bullied [name_u]Harry[/name_u] basically his entire childhood. I also agree that there were more important people that could’ve been honored over [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. If I was keeping Harry’s kids names as honor names I’d replace [name_m]Severus[/name_m] with [name_m]Remus[/name_m] and replace [name_f]Luna[/name_f] with [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. But honestly I am not a fan of honor names in general and I wish JK would’ve taken the opportunity to come up with new creative names for the kids. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if she would’ve came up with honors that weren’t just direct copies of the names, like maybe [name_f]Alba[/name_f] instead of [name_m]Albus[/name_m] or [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] for [name_m]Sirius[/name_m].

2 Likes

More representation for Ginny’s parents! Unfortunately, [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] shouldn’t go in one name lol.

[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

This was really hard!

1 Like

I really like the idea of using surnames / maiden names that previous posters had, as well as tweaking names to make the weight of the honor a little less heavy in the case of this story!

Maybe I’d change them to …

[name_m]Ruben[/name_m] [name_m]Sirius[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Molly[/name_f]

2 Likes