Rory or Rowan?

I’ve been going back and forth about the final boys’ name for my user card/top ten list. I’m debating [name_u]Rory[/name_u] versus [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. I think they’re too similar to be used as brothers, of course, and I’m sort of arguing back and forth with myself over which to showcase. I’ve liked [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] much longer and more consistently, but this year I had a burst of feeling for [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and added it to my user card. Now, the novelty’s worn off a bit and while I still like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] I’m starting to find [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] more appealing.

So, since I’m torn here, which do you guys prefer and why?

Personally, I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is lovely but I just love the sound of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] so much more xoxo

Rowan nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] would be perfect!

2 Likes

I think [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is lovely, and I especially like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]!

1 Like

Rowan nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]!

1 Like

I love both, which is why I like the suggestion of [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]!

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is a little too nickname-y to stand alone, imho.

1 Like

I second [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. If that doesn’t appeal to you, though, you seem to have a much stronger connection to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]!

I considered [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] for my son but looked at the statistics for how common it is getting for girls and decided against. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] I changed mind as I now know 2 little baby girl Rowans now. I know in other countries, like [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] for example, it’s already top 100 for girls and climbing fast but doesn’t feature in boys top 100 at all there.

I don’t really understand “[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u]”
as it’s not the natural shortening at all. You might as well just use [name_u]Rory[/name_u] in that case.

Let’s be honest. Most likely [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] will get shortened to Row by friends (like row row row your boat). So depends if you like that or not? I wasn’t keen myself.
I also worried about the similarity between [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_m]Roman[/name_m] which is exploding in popularity in [name_u]America[/name_u] and Europe. One of the fastest rising names. It can get a bit confusing as I know 2 Rowans and 2 [name_m]Roman[/name_m]’s now. I think a few years ago either name would have been fine but now they’re both getting popular at the same time, I just think they’re too similar.

Rory I really like. Let us know what you decide

1 Like

I love the gentle ruggedness of [name_u]Rory[/name_u]

I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u]! I’m biased because I find [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] more feminine but I also just love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] on a boy. It has a lovely gentle strength that I find so appealing in boy names. The meaning is also really cool.

Rory is a more classic choice
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]/Roman type names are VERY trendy at the moment for the first time in history whereas [name_u]Rory[/name_u] has been used throughout history so more timeless.

Rory is a nice strong name
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is a girl name to me ([name_f]Ro[/name_f]-[name_u]Anne[/name_u]). Know a few baby girls called [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] recently.
[name_m]Roman[/name_m] is the more masculine version ([name_f]Ro[/name_f]-[name_m]Man[/name_m]).
I find both names too similar and trendy to be honest though (more likely to date) and hate nickname Row.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u]- [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] seems too much like a girls name now.

1 Like

Rory for a boy; [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] for a girl.

1 Like

I like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] more than [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] as of right now, but I think [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] would be wonderful!

Rory just isn’t a nickname for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] though. Row is the natural shortening. All the little baby girl Rowans I know get shortened to Row but I don’t think their mums like it and try to insist on full name.
I suppose in reality you can give anyone whatever nickname you want but [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] have the same number of syllables are are different names so I think it’ll be very unusual to introduce someone with two different names ? To me it would be a bit like registering someone [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] / [name_u]Holly[/name_u] but then going round saying their nickname must be [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] / [name_f]Polly[/name_f]? A totally different name. Each to their own though of course.

I don’t have a preference, I like them both equally :see_no_evil: I would go ahead and use [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] with [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname just to get both in there :sweat_smile: It’s not a “natural nickname” for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], but it does work.

It’s a tough call! Both lovely but [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is my slight preference. It feels both sweet and rugged, I really like it. Extra points if there’s a chance you’ll have a redhead :orange_heart:

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is gorgeous too, though, and FWIW I too think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] could work as a nickname. Although I do quite like [name_f]Ro[/name_f] actually!

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Rowan[/name_u].