Round Two - Frozen Fairytale Combos

I derped out on my last post and failed to even include two of my favorite middle name options :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: So I decided to close that thread and start fresh! In the process, I’ve added the names that were missing, and based on your feedback and my own feelings about the combos you created on the last thread, I’ve streamlined the list significantly and removed all but my most favorite options.

These names were all collected for my Frozen Fairytale aesthetic, the moodboard for which is here. Think lush, wintry, slightly gothic versions of Snow White and Rose Red, Beauty and the Beast, the Snow Queen, Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, etc. (the older, more Grimm versions moreso than the Disney retellings).

I have a total of three lists: one for first names, one for name-name middles, and one for word-name middles. If you could build combos using one name from each list, that would be super helpful! For reference, big sister would be Nimue Fern Lunaria, and last name is pronounced KAY-lahr.

First Names:
Acantha, Belladonna, Belphoebe, Gwyneira, Lirael, Olwen, Rosalind, Sabriel

Name-Name Middles
Acantha, Belphoebe, Bianca, Clara, Cornelia, Euphrosyne, Guinevere, Gwyneira, Isolde, Lilje, Lirael, Luminosa, Noor, Odessa, Odette, Olwen, Oona, Ravenna, Rhoswen, Rosalind, Sabriel, Saskia, Titania

Word / Nature Name Middles
Belladonna, Crimson, Sable, Scarlet / Scarlett, Snow, Rosethorn, Thorn, Winter, Wintergreen

Thank you for being patient with me! I don’t even know if I can blame it on new-mom-brain at this point since my little bug is nearly 7 months old. But she is teething, so I am super sleep-deprived!

Anyway, I’m very happy with this newer, sleeker list, and I’m really excited to see what you lovelies come up with!

UPDATE: Sooooo apparently we can’t close threads anymore, which is another derp moment for me, because I’ve already created this new post. :woman_facepalming: OH WELL.

1 Like

[name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] [name_u]Crimson[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] Euphrosyne [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
Sabriel [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] [name_u]Crimson[/name_u]
Lirael [name_f]Oona[/name_f] Rosethorn
[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] [name_u]Sable[/name_u]
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]

1 Like

I LOVE [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] for this aesthetic, and love how it pairs with [name_f]Nimue[/name_f].

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] - my favorite in sound, but snow feels redundant given Olwen’s meaning
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] - love the white/black/red imagery here
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_u]Sable[/name_u] [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - love the repeating vowels, l’s and s’s
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Oona[/name_f] ?? - don’t love the flow with any of the final names but [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] together are so sweet

1 Like

aaaahhh [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f]! :heart::heart::heart:

[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] :wilted_flower::herb::drop_of_blood:

also [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is calling to me right now! I don’t know if it’s too many Os and Ss but it’s definitely giving me glittering snowy-white magick :white_heart:

1 Like

I can close your other post if you wish?

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] Rosethorn
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
Sabriel [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f] Rosethorn Lireal
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Oona[/name_f] [name_u]Sable[/name_u]

1 Like

I’m picturing an ice queen draped in furs and a blood red lipstick

[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] [name_u]Sable[/name_u]
[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] [name_f]Titania[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_u]Wintergreen[/name_u] [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_u]Crimson[/name_u] [name_u]Noor[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal favourite is Lirael Gwynneira [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]

1 Like

@baya44 - These are gorgeous! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] and [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]. I also like Lirael [name_f]Oona[/name_f] Rosethorn, [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] [name_u]Sable[/name_u], and [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f].

@QuirkFlower - I’m so glad you love [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] as a sibling for [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]! I think they’re magical together. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your options is [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], mainly because I have a strange aversion to alliteration. I also love the white/black/red imagery, and I’m discovering my favorite combos for this aesthetic tend to have one of each color!

@alatari - Isn’t [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] the most magical name? :heart_eyes: I had originally been saving her for the more woodsy, witchy aesthetics, but I thought she felt a little thorny and thus might work here as well. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is gorgeous! I don’t think it’s too many Os; the Ss in [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] and [name_u]Snow[/name_u] are a little close together, but not enough to turn me off the combo. I am definitely getting that glittering winter wonderland vibe!

@Greyblue - Oh, that would be wonderful! I closed a poll the other day, and I guess that left me with the mistaken idea that we could still close our own threads. We’ve only been on this new platform for what, two years? :roll_eyes:
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Oona[/name_f] [name_u]Sable[/name_u] is absolutely breathtaking! I’m also liking Sabriel [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] Rosethorn Lirael, though I think I’d swap it around to be [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] Lirael Rosethorn. Swoon!

@LoneStar - Ooh, that imagery is perfection!!! :heart_eyes: I’m loving [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_u]Crimson[/name_u] [name_u]Noor[/name_u] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]. I also love the idea of [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] with either [name_f]Titania[/name_f] or [name_m]Thorn[/name_m], I’m just not keen on the two together.

@Bonfire_Eclipse - Thank you! Lirael [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is beautiful!

I think this might end up being another aesthetic where I have to split the final combo into two. I just can’t seem to narrow down my options. I love them all so much!

I’ll probably come back later today and do a brain dump so you all can see where I’m at and help me sort myself out, haha.

2 Likes

Suuuuper rambly brain-dump time.

I aM aLl OvEr ThE pLaCe

The seed name for this aesthetic was [name_u]Snow[/name_u]. There is so much imagery and emotion and so many associations wrapped up in this one little name - the imagery of deep winter; the fairy tale of [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White (which led to [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White + [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Red[/name_u], which led to [name_u]Red[/name_u] Riding Hood, which led to [name_f]Beauty[/name_f] and the Beast, which led to Sleeping [name_f]Beauty[/name_f], because this is just how my brain works); the colors of porcelain white (skin), icy blue (eyes), raven’s wing black (hair), and blood red (lips); that particular poignant ache around the juxtaposition of beauty and horror; and all the thoughts and feelings that come with a particular character (in this case, [name_u]Snow[/name_u] from Solitaire, primarily, and to a lesser extent, [name_u]Snow[/name_u] [not [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Margaret] from Once Upon a Time).

So I knew that I wanted [name_u]Snow[/name_u] to be part of the combo for this aesthetic. The only problem is, now I’m in love with [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] as well, and I can’t use both [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] in the same combo. I’m starting to think this is going to be yet another aesthetic where I end up with two combos instead of one. At this rate, my femme list is going to literally be twice as long as my masc list. :woman_facepalming: Why are masc names so much easier???

The other two names I had in mind for this aesthetic were [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f]. I just can’t find a combo that works with all three. I love the idea of [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u], but the flow is pretty choppy with the -wen / [name_u]Gwyn[/name_u]- syllables up against each other. [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] also feels choppy with the -ra / [name_m]Ol[/name_m]- syllables together, and the O and N sounds get a little jumbled. [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] doesn’t work at all with the two O sounds back to back. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] isn’t terrible, but I still feel like the O and N sounds are a little rough together. And I don’t want to use [name_u]Snow[/name_u] as the first name, because I don’t feel like that would work well in the sibset. I also feel like even though I love [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] and [name_u]Snow[/name_u] together from a look, sound, and feel perspective, when it comes to meaning they’re kind of redundant.

I have a similar issue with [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] and [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]. I love them together, and I love the repeating TH and N sounds, but meaning-wise, they’re redundant again. Also because of the repeating TH sounds, they need at least one name in between, so I couldn’t do [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m], for example. Also, as much as I love [name_f]Acantha[/name_f], I’m not sure about it as a first name? Someone on another forum said they didn’t like it because it sounds like, “I can’t though.” Maybe it’s one of those names I love more in theory than in practice?

I’m also having this issue of feeling like my initial favorite names for this combo are too “same-y” - [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], [name_u]Snow[/name_u], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], they’re all that white, glittering snow aesthetic, with none of the black and red that makes the moodboard so… well, moody. The combos I’m most attracted to in everyone’s suggestions are those that combine “white” names (Olwen, [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], Snow), “red” names (Scarlett, [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_u]Crimson[/name_u], Rosethorn), and “black” names (Acantha, Sabriel, [name_u]Sable[/name_u], Thorn) into the same combo. That’s making me re-evaluate what I thought I wanted from the combo(s) for this aesthetic.

I also find myself really drawn to [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] in these combos. It’s such a winter name, like moonlight glittering on ice-encrusted snow. It would also honor my partner’s Finnish heritage, because [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] is one of the Finnish words for snow. [name_f]My[/name_f] worry here is that it’s too similar to Lunaria, which is one of the names we chose for my daughter, so it’s not like I can swap it around. Then too, I love [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] and [name_u]Snow[/name_u] together, such as in [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]. But I don’t know how the flow works with the O and S and N sounds. Are they too close together? I keep going back and forth.

Then there’s [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], which I was going to add to the first names, until I realized that I already have [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] on the shortlist, and you just can’t do [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] in the same sibset. That would be like siblings named [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] :woman_facepalming: It’s also very similar to [name_m]Isidore[/name_m], so I’m wondering if I should just nix it altogether.

I also go back and forth on [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]. Is it witchy enough? Is it too normal? Would it work in a sibset with [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]? I love the suggestion of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m], because it pulls in that red / white / black imagery that I’m just swooning over for this aesthetic. But is [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] too much [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]? Someone else said [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] sounds super bitchy, which was really painful to hear because I would be using it as an honor name for a great-grandmother [name_f]Blanche[/name_f], who was one of the sweetest souls ever to walk the earth.

There’s also Sabriel and Lirael, which I absolutely adore and which totally fit the aesthetic, but they’re literary names, so they don’t have as much depth of history and meaning behind them. I keep going back and forth. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time I’m in love with a combo with one of these names, I start to second guess whether they should be used at all, and every time I try to take them off the list, I just think about how perfect they are. :woman_facepalming:

Then there’s the word names. I love [name_u]Winter[/name_u], [name_u]Wintergreen[/name_u], [name_u]Crimson[/name_u], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_u]Sable[/name_u], and even [name_m]Thorn[/name_m], but they don’t have the same depth of meaning that I get from [name_u]Snow[/name_u]. I love [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] for the imagery and connection to the myths and fables that are the heart of this aesthetic, but does it have enough meaning? [name_u]Sable[/name_u] is so gorgeous and evocative, but again, does it have enough meaning? Is it too similar to [name_u]Fable[/name_u], a name that’s been on the shortlist for years? Should I just save it as a nickname for Sabriel? [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] has extra associations via The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Letter and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] O’Hara. They’re both powerful literary connections, and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] would tap into my [name_u]Southern[/name_u] roots, but are those associations too negative?

I also love, love, LOVE [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f], but I think I’m going to save her for a different aesthetic - I have some witchy and foresty boards in my pending stack, and I’m even considering one specifically Poison Path themed.

Ugh. As you can see, I am a hot f*cking mess right now.

Okay, after some thought, I’ve made yet another cut to the list.

First Names:
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f], Gywneira, Lirael, [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], Rosealind, Sabriel

Name-Name Middles:
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], Lirael, [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f], [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], Sabriel

Word / [name_u]Nature[/name_u] Name Middles
[name_u]Sable[/name_u], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] / [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_u]Snow[/name_u], Rosethorn, [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]

If you read the brain-dump, my condolences :sweat_smile: This is what it’s always like in there, especially when it comes to femme names, which is why I’m so indecisive and keep asking variations on the same questions over and over.

If the brain-dump is too much for you to tackle, that’s okay, I totally understand. I still super appreciate the feedback and combo suggestions!

I may take a break from this aesthetic for a while and come back to it. Sometimes letting things simmer on the back burner while I spend creative energy on something else primes the pump, if you will. Wow that was a mixed metaphor. Anyway, here’s Wonderwall. :purple_heart:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is Lirael [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I so relate to your brain dump and kind of love reading through it! :joy: I love that you have these fantastical aesthetics and interests but clearly still a down-to-earth sense of humor.

Anyway, about the names. When I replied to your last thread I was struggling for the exact same reasons. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite names on your list are the “white” names — [name_u]Snow[/name_u], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]. But I’m really bothered by the repetitive meanings! And I loved the idea of the white-black-red thing but I couldn’t find a combination where I liked each of the names individually as much. I don’t have any advice here, but you’re not crazy for thinking these things. [name_u]Or[/name_u] we’re both crazy lol.

I do think [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is too tame next to [name_f]Nimue[/name_f], but I like it as a potential middle. Have you considered [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosamonde[/name_f]? For some reason I like them better here. They feel heavier like velvet drapes.

I’ve always felt [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] was too similar to Lunaria.

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] is a bit of a spicy-sassy name but I actually think that’s why it works for this aesthetic. She brings in the slightly dark, creepy fairytale factor instead of everything being all winter wonderland.

I have very few suggestions but I’m liking [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] with [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is still my favorite option in the first name slot. I think the list is missing the right final name still. I’m wondering if there’s another good “red” option you haven’t considered yet.

1 Like

Gywneira Lirael Snow
Rosealind Bianca Thorn

1 Like

@LK86 - Thank you! I’m glad to see some love for [name_f]Bianca[/name_f]!

@QuirkFlower - AHA! I knew I’d missed replying to you somewhere! Sorry it took me so long to find it!
I’m glad at least one person can relate to my overthinking everything! And my humor, too! I feel very seen. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
This remains my most stubborn list. I still haven’t figure out what to do with these names, but I have a little more clarity than last time.
As much as I love the idea of [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], I just don’t think I can use her with [name_u]Snow[/name_u]. The redundant meanings will just drive me bonkers. And between the two of them, I want to use [name_u]Snow[/name_u] more, so [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] is out. I do think I can use [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] together, because while [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is still a “white” name, there’s no actual references to snow in the meaning or the legend.
I do still have doubts about [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] being too “normal,” but the one combo that I truly love for this aesthetic is [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m], so I think I’m hanging onto her for now. I have thought about [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamonde[/name_f], but I prefer [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], in part because my synesthesia likes the “lind” part better than the “mund” or “monde,” and in part because much of my love stems from the connection to the As You Like It character - this play was my first introduction to [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] as a child and low-key changed my life.
I think [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] and Lunaria are different in sound and meaning, but written out they do look quite similar. I’m still on the fence about it.
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is still my favorite name to pair with [name_u]Snow[/name_u]. Currently my favorite [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] combos are [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and Lirael [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u], but there are problems with both. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] sounds so similar to [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f], which is the first name for the [name_u]Warrior[/name_u] [name_f]Queen[/name_f] combo, and [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f], as mentioned above, is similar to Lunaria. Lirael solves both those problems, but the sound is very similar to [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], the first name from one of the Starseed [name_u]Soul[/name_u] combos. I feel like I’ve painted myself into a corner here.
I like your thought about considering more “red” names, and am definitely open to suggestions.

@wintergarden - [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] Lirael [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is beautiful. I’m just a nitpicky little person and the repeated “snow” meanings bother me.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] has been haunting me, and I really think it’s going to be one of the final combos. Still looking for the perfect names to pair with Snow…

1 Like

I don’t suppose you would consider
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]?

I’m not sure your feelings on alliteration? I know it’s breaking the mold with two word names. It also may be too short compared to your other names. But I do feel like it solves the [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] and [name_u]Snow[/name_u] back to back problem. It also breaks up the whiteness, with the sharp [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] in the middle. It’s a very snappy combination, whether that’s something you like or not!

I also like:
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]

I think [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] is truly amazing. Can’t be beat! The colour balance in this combination is truly incredible.

1 Like

@columbiacharm - I don’t mind two word names in the same combo - several of the combos on my shortlist contain more than one nature or word name. But alliteration does bother me, unfortunately. I think it’s a synesthesia thing. I do think [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_f]Acantha[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is lovely! And I’m relieved to hear that you love [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]. I think it’s an incredible combination on its own, but I do feel self-conscious about it in context with the rest of the combos on my list.

1 Like

Lirael [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] Lirael [name_u]Sable[/name_u]
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] Rosethorn [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
Lirael [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]
Lirael [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]

I’m also fan of Lirael!

1 Like