Sanscrit/Hindi names

I love [name]Indian[/name] names but being that I am not I am having a hard time finding them. Does anyone have any great girls names, preferably that do not end in an A? thanks!

I took a flip through my yearbook, as I remember some [name]Indian[/name] classmates… unfortunately a lot of them were boys! Some girls names I found that do not end with A were Shivpreet (went by “Preet”) and [name]Sundeep[/name] (went by “[name]Sunny[/name]”). I also spot an Anjani in another grade, and a Roopinder.

Contrary to my memory of all proudly having names of their origin, a few of the girls (but none of the boys) had American names (happen to end in A anyway) like [name]Dena[/name], [name]Lolita[/name], [name]Sara[/name], and [name]Anita[/name]. Other presumably Hindi names were Manisha, Susmita, Aashmita, [name]Vanita[/name], and Aparna. I like Susmita the best! I do not know what these names mean or any other authoritative knowledge.

Aside from looking on the internet for “names,” try looking for people in business or science who usually write papers or websites. I have found a few interesting names this way - professional adults of any specific origin… here, I found this site:

Good place to start. Unfortunately by the list, if you are unfamiliar with the names to begin with, it’s hard to tell which bios are men and which are women, but it is a list of names, another way to expand a list beyond just looking for baby names.

Another list (possibly somewhat redundant but looks bigger):
http://www.famousinindia.com/famous_personalities_in_india.html

Its hard without the ‘a’ ending. What about:

[name]Kalindi[/name]
[name]Kerani[/name]
[name]Noor[/name]
[name]Rani[/name]
[name]Rohan[/name]
[name]Shakti[/name]
[name]Shivani[/name]
[name]Yasiman[/name]
[name]Devi[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Rajani[/name]
[name]Taj[/name]

thanks for your help!

[name]Priya[/name] is my favorite Hindi name. It means beloved. Sita is from the epic poem the Ramayana. [name]Both[/name] of those are very pretty!

I love [name]Priya[/name], too.

[name]Ananda[/name]/Anandi
[name]Anjali[/name]
[name]Lakshmi[/name]
Lilavati
Manisha
Savitri
Malini
Suniti
Minali
Sunita
Mohini
Jaswinder
Rupinder
Priti
[name]Parvati[/name]
[name]Kiran[/name]
[name]Indira[/name]
Kaveri
Kalyani

my sister-in-laws name is Vaishnavi. I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] it! She often goes by “Vai” as a nn.

Here’s a thread with some [name]Indian[/name] names. A lot of them have A endings, but quite a few don’t.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I forgot to add that I love [name]Kalindi[/name]! :slight_smile:

Good luck!