Seamus = "Shame us"?

My mom brought this up. (I know, I know–don’t share names till after baby’s born!–but we’re close to my family, we see them a couple times a week, and I’d rather know if they hate our name choice before we use it than after.)
Anyway, does she have a point that this is what people will hear? I had thought of it but didn’t let it bother me overmuch. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this? Does it bother you? A lot, a little, or not at all?

We have other good names on our list, but [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] has been in the top 3, so I wanted some opinions on this issue.

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! It’s friendly and warm. I can understand why she would hear “Shame-us,” but the second syllable doesn’t sound exactly the same. I don’t associate them. It doesn’t bother me a bit, and it sounds like you love it anyway!

6 Likes

That is how it sounds. I think it might depend how familiar people are with the name where you live. If no one has heard of it then maybe people will think of that but if they’re familiar with the name then probably not. I’m familiar with this name though the tv show [name_u]Archer[/name_u] so I just think “the wee baby [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]” lol.

2 Likes

I never noticed that before. It’s fine.

3 Likes

I’ve never noticed it before and it doesn’t bother me really.

3 Likes

I’ve never noticed that before. In my accent, [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] comes out more like shay-mis, than shay-mus, but even hearing the name in other accents that connection never occurred to me. Plus, most people put the split/slight pause between the syllables before the M, not after. If that makes sense. I’ve had names I really liked ruined by observations like this which just irritates me because most people won’t think of them. If you love it, don’t let a passing comment like that deter you.

9 Likes

I mean yeah it sounds like that but I don’t think it’s obvious unless you point it out like that. I think [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is a great name. Also how often does the phrase “shame us” come up in conversation?

3 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I don’t think of the connection except when it is brought up. To me, [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is a great name that I would definitely use if I could. I would love to see it used.

1 Like

^^This exactly for me! I don’t think it ever would have occurred to me, especially because they’re also so visually different. I definitely wouldn’t let this stop you from using the name you love!

4 Likes

Hi there.

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! It’s my almost ten year old nephew’s name. I was delighted when they named him this, & also sad since I could never use it. :joy: I don’t believe I’ve ever thought of this before. It’s more [name_u]Shay[/name_u]-miss, when you say it out loud. Now, of course the little [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] that I know does get his name mispronounced & spelled plenty. But I’m fairly certain that the ‘shame-us’ thing has never come up. And the mispronouncing & misspelling this is totally worth it for such a cool unique name.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, I seem to have the unpopular opinion, but I do definitely hear the “shame” syllable in [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and it turns me off the name. I also grew up with a very eccentric kid named [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and he once had a substitute teacher pronounce his name phonetically like “sea moose” and was teased mercilessly about it.

All of this is just my personal feelings/experiences. It’s still a solid, classic name. But I’d go with someone else on the list if it were me.

1 Like

I love it for the same reasons :blush:

I say it exactly like you say it, but for some reason I have never noticed the “shame us” thing – my brain automatically splits the syllables SHAY-mus. So it doesn’t bother me at all, personally. However, objectively that is the sound the name makes!

2 Likes

Now that’s it’s brought up, I notice it, but it’s such a classic name that I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

3 Likes

Seamus is my middle name. I’ve never thought of it that way, even though in my accent what your mom said is kinda true. I don’t think it’ll be an issue, I’m pretty public about my middle name and no one in my life has ever brought that up.

2 Likes

I think mothers go into overdrive regarding their grandkids names sometimes, my friends MIL was upset they called their son [name_u]Micah[/name_u] as she felt it was just like saying “my car”.
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is awesome!!

4 Likes

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. Rugged and charming! I don’t think of Shame us

3 Likes

Love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! It’s been a favorite for a long time and I’ve never seen that connection and I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. I would just disregard what your mom said.

2 Likes

That’s how I always hear this name. I understand the appeal of how soft yet strong it sounds, but for me I’ve always heard the word “shame” and I would never use it for that reason. I think I’m greatly in the minority though and this is a totally usable name! I don’t think you’ll hear it that way at all once it’s his name and he makes it his own.

3 Likes

I like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] a lot! I wouldn’t come to that conclusion upon meeting a [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I pronounce it more ‘SHAHM-us’, like the sound in ‘clock’ (don’t know if that’s the correct way, but it’s how I’ve been saying it). I don’t think that should be a turn-off for you. [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is cute and if it works well for you, use it!