Search + Advanced Search not working

Is anyone else getting this when searching on mobile?

Yes, but it shows the results a few seconds later.

4 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s odd. Mine didnā€™tā€¦ I waited and waited and tried searching a few different names. Not sure why itā€™s acting this way. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Itā€™s working for me too :thinking: Please could you try again now @elanorelle and let me know if thereā€™s any change? Has it always been like this or is this a new change?

I tried again just now, waited a full 2 minutes, and it is still not working. I am using Chrome if that makes a difference. I donā€™t know how long itā€™s been doing this because I hadnā€™t really tried search on mobile since the update. :grimacing:

OK, Iā€™ll experiment on Chrome.

Re. the search in mobile portrait: I raised this with our tech guru and he has said itā€™s a deliberate design feature that the search bar only appears when thereā€™s sufficient space. On mobile, you can search either by turning to landscape view or by going through the dropdown menu option for ā€œAdvanced Searchā€.

If you do an advanced search, does it display results?

1 Like

Oh, I see. And, no, advanced search doesnā€™t work either.

Oh dear, Iā€™m sorry about all the trouble youā€™re having. Iā€™m going to move this to a new topic to get more visibility.

Everyone else: post here if youā€™re experiencing the same issue with search + advanced search not returning results. Please include your device and browser

1 Like

Oh, so no search bar in portrait anymore? Okayā€¦ Iā€™ll get used I guess.

I know, itā€™s a bit of a shame! Iā€™m going to ask about potentially having at least a search icon at the top in mobile portrait, so at least people can find the search function.

4 Likes

That would be nice, itā€™s not easy to turn the phone every time to search, especially when Iā€™m trying to compile a list it can become annoying :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Itā€™s all right! Thanks. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve noticed something that is a bit confusing, definitely would be for new people browsing the site, or people with a slower connection.

When I search for a name (in this case it was [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]) there is a multiple second wait time (Iā€™ve counted up to 8 seconds) where the results are loading, but there is no indication that anything is loading on the page, just a line and a sentence ā€˜No names match your criteriaā€™ which is false because there is an entry for [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] but it just took ages to come up. This happens to some extent every time I search.

If I had a slower connection or wasnā€™t familiar with the site, Iā€™d assume there was no such name and possibly click away before the results came up. I think you should add a ā€œloadingā€ button and/or get rid of the ā€˜no names match your criteriaā€™ because itā€™s quite confusing.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 12.35.58 PM

6 Likes

I get that very frequently too. I donā€™t think it has ever lasted 8 seconds for me though. Itā€™s usually only 1-3 seconds for me before the results come up. And even though I know it can take a few seconds, I forget so I often end up either shocked for a second before the real results come up or wonder if I misspelled the name or something.

2 Likes

Thanks @alatari, I have had this a few times as well. You make some very good points and I will see if thereā€™s anything that can be done.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently finding that the simple search function is returning a ā€œNo names matchā€ message, and the advanced search just endlessly loads. This is on mobile and desktop.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I just noticed this myself and was about to let you know! This is on desktop for me, too, now.

I canā€™t even get into my account right now for the last several minutes :unamused:

1 Like

I also see it.

Thanks @elanorelle @ethelmary and @KaiLun . I have asked for a search icon to be added to the top bar in mobile portrait, so Iā€™m just going to give it an hour or so in case this is being caused by ongoing work, but if itā€™s still broken in an hour I will flag it with the team.

1 Like