Sibling for Brigid

I have a 2 year old daughter named [name]Brigid[/name] [name]Ceaira[/name] (pronounced as “[name]Bridget[/name] [name]Sierra[/name]”) and am expecting our second child in late [name]January[/name]/early February. I had no problems with a name the first time around, as we conceived my daughter in [name]Ireland[/name] on a sort of a second honeymoon and wanted to use an Irish name for that reason as well as the fact that we wanted the nn [name]Bri[/name] ("[name]Bree[/name]"). We decided against the Irish pronunciation for both fn and mn however, as I grew up with a very difficult name and didn’t want that for her.

Anyway, I just don’t which direction to go this time. By the way, we don’t know the gender and probably won’t find out until the big day. We have it written down in an envelope in case we change our minds, but most likely won’t look. I don’t know if I should stick with Irish names for this and future kids (we aren’t sure if this will be the last or not) or go more towards classic names. The names we had picked out for my daughter had she been a boy were [name]Killian[/name], [name]Jack[/name] or [name]Wyatt[/name], but it most likely would have been [name]Killian[/name] for the Irish reason. I do still like that name, but am afraid I’m going to stick myself into a rut if we have more kids? The other girl name we had been considering last time was [name]Caitlin[/name] Aubriella (have loved [name]Caitlin[/name] since childhood), as I like the nn “[name]Cait[/name]” or “Caiti”. However, the reason we didn’t go with it was because of the popular factor. That is the same reason that I wonder about [name]Jack[/name] for a boy, although we have liked that name for a long time as well.

Yet another option to throw into this is that my husband’s family has a history of the oldest male passing down the name “[name]John[/name]” as either a first or middle name. My husband is actually the second son, but his older brother and wife may not be able to have more children and only have girls, so it is still unused. The problem is I really don’t want to use the name very much, as I know many Johns and Jonathans, but yet don’t want to hurt my father-in-law’s feelings, and it is an old tradition. Still, my husband and I aren’t really into the naming after family members thing. I know [name]Jack[/name] is a nn for [name]John[/name], but I don’t know if that would pass as a substitute with my husband’s family. There are also more boy cousins from my father-in-laws siblings that haven’t started having kids yet, so there are more chances out there. But I don’t know if they’d do it or not. I guess I’m not completely against it, but not convinced yet either.

So, to sum up, can you recommend both boy and girl names… Irish? Classic/timeless? And typically I prefer not very popular, although if it was the right name, maybe I would just use it anyway? I just don’t know what to do!

hmmm…for some reason I think [name]Piper[/name] would go great with [name]Brigid[/name]. I’d say not to use an Irish name so you don’t get stuck in pattern and because [name]Brigid[/name]'s name has a story behind it with the orgin of her name. I also say if you like [name]Caitlin[/name] Aubriella, then go for it! Sure it’s popular, but if you love that name then use it and save yourself some headaches. But here are a few fresh ideas that hopefully you might like. I consider [name]Brigid[/name] a spunky name so here are some fresh, spunkier names.
~girl~
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Taryn[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Katia[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
~boy~
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Brendon[/name]
[name]Brandon[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions! I had to laugh, because [name]Piper[/name] is actually the name of one of our [name]Boston[/name] Terriers. :lol:

Also, Aubriella is out as a middle name (was in for the “[name]Bri[/name]” nickname before) so if we did decide to just go with [name]Caitlin[/name], then we would still be looking for a middle name suggestion too.

[name]Don[/name]'t know why I am having such a hard time this time!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Brigid[/name]

Suggestions

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name] (why don’t more people use this name I think is really lovely?)
[name]Catriona[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Lenore[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]/a
[name]Amity[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Courtney[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Ireland[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] (means island so it could be a reference to [name]Ireland[/name])

Now I think you would be better off not following family tradition with the boys and simply saying to Dad that this is not your style. I think that [name]Jack[/name] is super popular and I actually prefer [name]Jackson[/name] and I know someone in their 80’s with this name, boy he must have been trendy in his day :smiley:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name] and you get the nn of [name]Nathan[/name] here so if you want to honour Dad in a subtle way and yet love [name]Nathan[/name] more than [name]John[/name] or [name]Jack[/name] this would ‘fix’ the problem.

[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]

rollo :slight_smile:

I forgot [name]Deidre[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]. I think a [name]Deidre[/name] should be a red head, also [name]Clementine[/name] would be nice with [name]Brigid[/name].

oh haha darn. Guess [name]Piper[/name]'s out. did you like anything from my list and rollo’s?

My vote is for [name]Maeve[/name]!

Thanks to you both lemonlime and rollo! There are several suggestions that I like.

As far as boys go:

[name]Oliver[/name] - I think it has potential, but husband not so much
[name]Grayson[/name] - has potential and will run by my husband
[name]Dashiell[/name] - kind of like this one too, but betting I get a no from DH
[name]Jackson[/name] - like it as well, but it is ruled out for the same reason as [name]Piper[/name] - it is a family dog name (this time my brother’s). Apparently I should have listed them as well when I posted. In other words, [name]Remy[/name], [name]Hogan[/name] and [name]Toby[/name] (saw that was on rollo’s list!) are out too. :smiley:

Some other boy names my husband and I discussed tonight are also:
[name]Weston[/name] (or [name]Westin[/name]) nn “[name]West[/name]” - husband is unsure on it
[name]Cedric[/name] - my husband came up with this one as either fn or mn
[name]Wyatt[/name]

After talking to him about it tonight, DH’s choice would be [name]Killian[/name] [name]Cedric[/name] (nn “K.C.”) or [name]Killian[/name] [name]John[/name]. And I do like both of those, but again, with that whole Irish name thing, I just don’t know!

For girls: I guess my taste is running towards the more feminine ones without being over the top…

[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] it, but have 4 friends that named their daughters this within the last 2 years, so probably it is out
[name]Leila[/name] - like it and was on my list, although it might be too close to her cousin [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Nora[/name] - I do like it, and would have to think on it
[name]Maeve[/name] - but DH says no

Other names DH and I have discussed or are on my list are:

[name]Abigail[/name] - another popular one I know, but we like [name]Abby[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] - I like it, husband is unsure
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Serafina[/name] - although doesn’t go great with [name]Brigid[/name], but I like the nn “[name]Sera[/name]”
[name]Emmeline[/name]/[name]Emeline[/name]
[name]Keelin[/name]
[name]Maribel[/name]/[name]Maribella[/name]

And by the way, the names [name]Ava[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Eden[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Lillian[/name] ([name]Lily[/name]) and [name]Chloe[/name] are out due to cousins.

Everyone who has been giving us ideas… thank you! [name]Haven[/name]'t had a chance to discuss the names again with my husband lately, as we have been having the flu at our house for the last couple weeks! [name]Just[/name] keeps going round and round. Grr…

So if you have any more ideas, we are still welcoming them! And sorry about the novels I wrote for the last couple posts, apparently I was having one of those days. :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] as an FYI, I can’t get [name]Cedric[/name] out of my head right now… and might not even mind the [name]John[/name] part. [name]Cedric[/name] [name]John[/name] (nn [name]Ced[/name] or CJ?). The girls are being a little more difficult for me. Kind of liked the [name]Adalie[/name] from the blog the other day, and DH liked it too, but would probably have to be a mn as we have an “[name]Addy[/name]” [name]Addison[/name] in the family.

Anyway… [name]Brigid[/name]'s brother or sister still needs a name, so feel free to suggest! Thanks!

[name]Shani[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! I love the name [name]Brigid[/name]! Here are some suggestions for girls:
[name]Caroline[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] this with [name]Brigid[/name]!)
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Erin[/name]
[name]Colleen[/name] ( I know this is a little dated, but I have always liked it)
[name]Caitlin[/name] (I still like it, even though it is so popular)
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] (a new favorite)

Boys:
[name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] (my favorite)
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]

I love [name]Brigid[/name], it was on our short list!
Have you considered [name]Keira[/name]? It has that same Irish feel (but not overwhelmingly so!) and sounds cute with [name]Brigid[/name].

kyemsma - We love [name]Brigid[/name] too (obviously!). It was so easy picking her name. Wish it was this time around! [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] are still on our lists, as is [name]Caroline[/name], but I will go over some of of the other suggestions when I can get my husband to feel better. I think this darn flu has decided to take up residence here!!

gigi22 - Thanks! [name]Keira[/name] is on our [name]LONG[/name] list, but my husband isn’t too crazy about it. I do think it is cute though. It was on my short list the first time around. Maybe DH will give it another look. :slight_smile:

Girl suggestions (apologies for repeats!):
[name]Claire[/name] - timeless, sort of Irish (County [name]Clare[/name])
[name]Catherine[/name] (as an alternative to [name]Caitlyn[/name], nickname [name]Cate[/name]) - I find this more timeless & classic than [name]Caitlyn[/name]
[name]Signy[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name] - I really like [name]Darcy[/name] & [name]Brigid[/name]!
[name]Regan[/name]
[name]Isolde[/name]

I am currently sort of obsessed with the names [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Alice[/name], so I also like those suggestions.

My two cents would be to use [name]Johnathan[/name] as a middle name if you have a son. I think family traditions are a wonderful thing, and although I never liked my middle name ([name]Marie[/name], a little lacking in imagination one could say) I always LOVED that it was my grandmother’s middle name, and I used it for my own daughter. [name]Feel[/name] lucky that the name is [name]John[/name]/[name]Johnathan[/name]! It may not be your favorite but it’s still pretty unoffensive and you could of had to deal with much worse!! Using “[name]Jack[/name]” instead is also a nice comprise.

I really love the name [name]Cedric[/name] [name]John[/name], and CJ is a great nickname! [name]Do[/name] it!

moxielove - Thanks for the additional suggestions!

So I got a chance to run all the suggestions as well as what I had on the lists so far with DH today, and I THINK we have narrowed our boy name down to (Bonner is our last name):

DD: [name]Brigid[/name] [name]Ceaira[/name] Bonner

[name]Cedric[/name] [name]John[/name] Bonner
[name]Killian[/name] [name]John[/name] Bonner

Probably won’t decide until the hospital, but what do you all think? After talking it over, we both decided that we’d rather just keep the tradition going with the [name]John[/name], use it as a MN and not ruffle any feathers. There were lots of MN I liked better, and although it wouldn’t be my first choice, I truly don’t mind that much at this point.

As far as girls names, it is a lot rougher going still. This time around we have totally opposite views on names. If I say I don’t like it, then he will say he does! And even on my lists, I don’t know if I have found one I’ve fallen in love with once I try to picture it. Maybe I can’t find the right combo of sweetness and spunk? Anyway, pretty well everything I ran by him got vetoed, other than those we had listed last time and a couple other suggestions. Names I have gotten a “maybe” from him on include:

DD: [name]Brigid[/name] [name]Ceaira[/name] Bonner

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Adalie[/name] (but might have to save for MN because of the NN [name]Addy[/name] situation)
[name]Adelyn[/name]/[name]Adeline[/name] (possibly same issue on MN as [name]Adalie[/name])
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] (NN [name]Cait[/name], Caiti)
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] - maybe for MN - we know 4 of them under 2 right now
[name]Emmeline[/name] - (surprised that one didn’t get vetoed!)
[name]Juliet[/name] - this one doesn’t fit maybe? But we both liked the name, so its there for now.
[name]Lucy[/name] - would love for this to be a NN but I can’t find a name that he likes that I could use
[name]Maeve[/name] - Big shock! Problem is I’m not sure on it myself. I think I want something a bit more feminine???
[name]Rosalind[/name]

Opinions? Suggestions??? We do have a couple of months left right now, but at the rate we are going… :slight_smile:

Why not go for [name]Kendrick[/name] or Kerrick? I think that Kerrick in particular would give you the look and sound of both [name]Cedric[/name] and [name]Killian[/name].

Kerrick [name]John[/name] sounds great and his nn could be [name]Kerr[/name], [name]Kerry[/name] or [name]Rick[/name]. I like its modern Irish feel.

I was researching [name]Cedric[/name] and found out there was a luxury liner called the [name]Cedric[/name] which rammed or collided into another ship near [name]Ireland[/name].

The owners of the ship wanted it pronounced as [name]Si[/name] Drick.

Siblings [name]Brigid[/name] and Kerrick

rollo

I know I can’t use [name]Kendrick[/name], but Kerrick is another good name, and one I hadn’t thought of yet, so thanks for the suggestion! I’ll run it by the other half and see what he thinks. I don’t know how open to suggestions he will be as he thinks it should just be [name]Killian[/name] anyway (which is the boy name we had picked out first time around). I am trying to get him to have an open mind…

I know there are a few negative associations with [name]Cedric[/name], but I figure that is so with any name. My brother-in-law came up with plenty of reasons NOT to use [name]Brigid[/name] as well, but it didn’t scare us off, and we still love it, so whatever. :slight_smile: I was worried about the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] association the last time with his suggestion of [name]Cedric[/name], but I think enough time has gone by now that it should be okay, at least around where I live (small town Midwest).

Anyway, thanks for the idea, I will pass it on!

If only girl names were as easy for us as boys. :wink:

I am of Irish origin so [name]Brigid[/name] is an authentic Irish name to me. The original Irish spelling for your male choice [name]Killian[/name] is actually [name]Cillian[/name] and this is the spelling that I prefer. You also like [name]Caitlin[/name] which is authentic but very popular. Here are some other Irish names you may want to consider.
Girls
[name]Ailis[/name] (ay-lish)
[name]Aine[/name] (awn-ya)
[name]Aislinn[/name] (ash-ling)
[name]Aoife[/name] (ee-fah)
[name]Caoimhe[/name] (keev-ah)
[name]Cliona[/name] (klee-ona)
[name]Clodagh[/name] (klo-da)
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Dervla[/name]
[name]Emer[/name] (ee-mer)
[name]Eistir[/name] (esh-tir)
Fidelma
[name]Fionnuala[/name] (fin-oo-la)
[name]Grania[/name]
[name]Isibeal[/name] (ish-bayl)
Laoise (lee-sha)
Liadan (lia-din)
[name]Maeve[/name] (mayv)
Majella (saint name)
[name]Mairead[/name] (morade)
[name]Malvina[/name]
Mor (more)
Mughain (moon)
[name]Niamh[/name] (neev)
[name]Roisin[/name] (ro-sheen)
[name]Sadhbh[/name] (syve)
[name]Saoirse[/name] (sare=sha)
[name]Shea[/name]
[name]Sheila[/name]
[name]Sine[/name] (sheena)
[name]Sinead[/name] (shin-aid)
[name]Siobhan[/name] (shiv-aun)
Siomha (sheeva)
Slany (slain-ee)
[name]Una[/name]/ [name]Oonagh[/name] (oo-nah)
[name]Orla[/name]
Searlait (shar-lat)
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
Tuathla (tua-la)
[name]Tuilelaith[/name] (twil-ay-la)

Boys
[name]Brendan[/name]
[name]Malachy[/name] (mal-a-kee)
[name]Cian[/name] (key-in)
[name]Ciaran[/name]
[name]Colm[/name] (colum)
[name]Colman[/name]
[name]Conor[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Daithi[/name] (daw-vee)
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Dermot[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Eamonn[/name]
[name]Egan[/name]
[name]Eoghan[/name] (owen)
Fionnbar (fin-bar)
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Finnegan[/name]
[name]Gulliver[/name]
[name]Jarlath[/name]
[name]Keane[/name]
[name]Keir[/name]
[name]Kevin[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Lorcan[/name]
Naoise (nee-sha)
[name]Niall[/name] (neel)
[name]Oisin[/name] (ush-een or ish-teen)
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Riordan[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Tiernan[/name]
[name]Ulick[/name] (yoo-lich)
[name]Uinseann[/name] (in-shan)

Wow! That is quite a list. Thanks! I might have to run those names by a little at a time cause he is getting a bit overwhelmed with this name business. :slight_smile: We have (or have had) a few of those names on our lists, but for reasons (including pronunciation) some of them have been overruled. But we will definitely give the list a look!

As far as [name]Killian[/name] goes, we know it is not the authentic spelling, but for pronunciation reasons, we decided that if we use it, it will probably be with a K. We have a bad enough time with people asking how to pronounce [name]Brigid[/name] (something that is pretty obvious if you ask me!). :slight_smile:

Can I just chime in on Irish names –

This all depends on where you live, and whether or not people are very familiar with the names already, but I wouldn’t have the slightest idea how to pronounce [name]Aoife[/name] (ee-fah) or [name]Caoimhe[/name] (keev-ah). It could be rather exhausting for your child to constantly be having to correct the pronunciation, or to get used to the raised eyebrows when she spells her name for someone.

I am all for authenticity when it comes to names, but I also feel that names that are just a little too much effort in day to day life should be relegated to middle names. As an American (who has lived in 4 countries and worked in 7) I just want to say that the authentic spellings of the names in mischa’s list are frankly too much for me, and I would argue many are too much for anyone not living in [name]Ireland[/name]., although I know many here disagree with me, but keep in mind the majority of folks here are self-professed “name nerds” who would know the correct pronunciation, while the world at large, is not.

I love the name [name]Brigid[/name] - it’s definitely one of my favorites. I also love [name]Colleen[/name] (another of my favs) and [name]Erin[/name].

For boys I like [name]Conner[/name], [name]Patrick[/name] (old classic stand-by) and [name]Daniel[/name]…what could be more Irish than your own “[name]Danny[/name] Boy”?