Sibling for Sosuke COULD REALLY USE HELP

Hello! This is a bit lengthy, thanks to all who takes the time to read!
I have a 2 year old son Sosuke [name]Henry[/name] (pronounced SOSE-[name]CAY[/name], its Japanese) I am a single mother.
When i was pregnant with Sosuke i didn’t get any good feedback on the name, it was a bit strange because i have no Japanese decent, i just fell in love with the name after watching the movie Ponyo. Haha! I never could get the name out of my head when deciding on his name. Of course, everyone now can’t picture him being named anything else, and it suits him perfectly. I have no regrets for naming my beautiful boy a beautiful name.

Well i am now pregnant with baby #2 and this time around i want it to be a surprise! Problem is now i have to choose a name for if its a boy, and a name for a girl. This is really hard because I’m having trouble finding ANY name i like that goes with Sosuke!
I definitely don’t want the name to be another Japanese name. I’m looking for something heard of, but not too common. I don’t want it to be too common or a shorter name or Sosuke will be the odd one out.

Here is some names on my list so you can get an idea of what i like:
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] ([name]Rosa[/name]-lee)
[name]Linette[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] ([name]Cora[/name]-lee)

For girls its really in between [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name] (opinions?). For boys i think i like [name]Addison[/name] but not sure how well it goes with Sosuke.

Please help! I’m going dizzy repeating all the names on my list with my sons name. Can anyone give me ideas on new names that you think would go with?

Wow, Sosuke is a really unique and wonderful name! I think it’s great that you used the name you loved :slight_smile: Here are my thoughts on your name list:

[name]Atticus[/name] - while not really my style, this name is definitely in favour with our fellow nameophiles! Not sure how it goes with Sosuke though as [name]Atticus[/name] has a very clear literary reference.
[name]Addison[/name] - I am so glad you specified using this for a boy! However you mentioned you want to stay away from common names, and [name]Addison[/name] is extremely popular these days among little girls (as well as the [name]Madison[/name]'s).
[name]Everett[/name] - I really like this name with Sosuke!
[name]August[/name] - I like the name, but for some reason I don’t think it sits well with Sosuke. I can’t quite place the reason why!
[name]Theodore[/name] - I really like this with Sosuke also :slight_smile:

[name]Louise[/name] - Seems very plain next to Sosuke.
[name]Isadora[/name] - Gorgeous! [name]Lovely[/name] and unique - I really like it!
[name]Violet[/name] - Becoming very common, although a lovely name.
[name]Elise[/name] - Like [name]Louise[/name], seems a bit boring next to Sosuke.
[name]Rosalie[/name] ([name]Rosa[/name]-lee) - I love this name!
[name]Linette[/name] - For some reason this name makes me think of 50yo women. Maybe it’s time for a revival? But not my favourite of your choices.
[name]Coralie[/name] ([name]Cora[/name]-lee) - I really adore this name… absolutely stunning.

My favourites of your choices are [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] for boys, and [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name] for girls. Some others you might like:

[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Lucien[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]

[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Imogene[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]

Good luck!

Sosuke just sounds awesome. I know a family whose maternal grandmother is from Japan, so they have Japanese middle names. Coincidentally, their eldest is [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Joji[/name], nearly named [name]Addison[/name] and for their last, they considered [name]August[/name]. I really love that you don’t want another Japanese middle name.

For [name]Henry[/name] Sosuke, I think [name]Rosalie[/name] or [name]Addison[/name] would work wonderfully. I’m a big believer in names not having to ‘go together’ but just using what you love. I have a lot of names on my lists from different cultures, even ones I have no connection to. I’d pair an [name]Alexei[/name] with a [name]Ren[/name] or a [name]Nikolai[/name] with an [name]Oisin[/name].

Other names you might like:
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Abel[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Corrina[/name] ‘[name]Cora[/name]’
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Hughes[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Della[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Leland[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Jacobi[/name]/[name]Jacoby[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Felix[/name] (Sosuke and [name]Felix[/name]?! I just fell in love)
[name]Henry[/name] Sosuke and [name]Willa[/name]/[name]Willow[/name]

alexandramae you need to work on your reading comprehension… [name]Henry[/name] is the middle name

For a sibling for Sosuke I would def look at [name]Kai[/name], I know you said you didnt want something too out there and its not, but it is def a cultural, beautiful name (it means [name]Ocean[/name] in Hawaiian)
For Sosuke’s sister first name to come to mind was [name]Chloe[/name]… not sure why. After harder thinking I also suggest [name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

[name]Hi[/name] your son’s name is very unique and different, its cute. I think you should keep with the japanese theme or an asian theme for your next baby. There isn’t going to be a name that isn’t Japanese and unique enough to fit your current son’s name. Sosuke is a very strong and powerful name and you need to keep the theme going at least in the asian names.

If you go with something more english Sosuke will feel very much like the oddball, and his sibling will feel you didn’t care enough to give him such a different name like Sosuke’s.

Some suggestions:
Female: [name]Aya[/name], [name]Emi[/name], Katsumi([name]Kat[/name]), [name]Sakura[/name], [name]Sora[/name],
[name]Male[/name]: [name]Dai[/name], [name]Kenji[/name], Masashi, Shinji, Tomio

brother: Sosuke
I’m afraid what would go best with it would be another japanese name.
If you really don’t want one, I’ll just give you my opinion on the other names you got here(some of which are gorgeous), but keep in mind that it might take peoplle some time to get used to the different feels the names have.

First of all: I read through your boys names and I’m completely in love with [name]Everett[/name], so I’m helplessly biased.
[name]Atticus[/name] I don’t like this name too much. It’s too “ancient warlord” for me.
[name]Addison[/name] has gained popularity as a girl’s name
[name]Everett[/name] I love, love, love this name, you can’t get much better.
[name]August[/name] Seems very old-fashioned compared to Sosuke, and month names are difficult.
[name]Theodore[/name] same as [name]August[/name](apart from the month issue)

[name]Louise[/name] compared to your other names it seems a little plain
[name]Isadora[/name] such a beautiful name, possibly my favourite along with
[name]Violet[/name] both such lovely names. [name]Isadora[/name] might be a bit more out of the box and therefor go a little better with Sosuke
[name]Elise[/name] same as [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] ([name]Rosa[/name]-lee) nice name, but it’s a little too cutesy for my taste
[name]Linette[/name] well, nice, but a bit like [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] ([name]Cora[/name]-lee) nice, but I like [name]Coraline[/name] or indeed [name]Caroline[/name] more

My favourites: [name]Everett[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]

[name]How[/name] do you like:
[name]Kira[/name]/[name]Keira[/name], because it sounds slightly japanese
[name]Sakura[/name], genuinely japanese, but a lovely name
Sachiko, same as [name]Sakura[/name]
[name]Maia[/name], [name]Mai[/name]-a almost chinese sounding ^^

[name]Wren[/name]/[name]Ren[/name], though it may be a little too soft for a boy
[name]Ken[/name]/[name]Kenneth[/name], if you don’t mind [name]Barbie[/name] and [name]Ken[/name]

I apologize. For some reason, I read it backwards and thought you just called him by his middle name. [name]Just[/name] switch it around. Not too big of a deal.

I think Sosuke and [name]Rosalie[/name] sound very lovely together. That is what I would go with if it were my decision : )

Sosuke is such a unique Japanese name that I really can’t picture anything but something more exotic. From your list, I like [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] the best but it’s hard for me to envision these names with Sosuke. His brother or sister may feel strange if they don’t have another unique name. I like Island’s suggestion of [name]KAI[/name]. i know you won’t like me saying this but I think there are wonderful Japanese names that could work. Some of my favourites are:
Girls
[name]Aiko[/name] (ah-EE-koh)
[name]Aki[/name] (ah-KEE)
[name]Asa[/name] ([name]AH[/name]-sah)
[name]Haya[/name]
Hisa (hee-SAH)
[name]Ishi[/name] (ee-SHEE)
[name]Jin[/name]
Kaiyo
[name]Kaya[/name]
Katsu
Kin
[name]Mika[/name]
Rei ([name]RAY[/name])
[name]Ren[/name]
[name]Sada[/name] (SAH-dah)
Shina
[name]Suki[/name]
[name]Yuki[/name]

Boys
[name]Akira[/name]
[name]Jiro[/name] (means “the second male”-jee-[name]RO[/name])
[name]Joji[/name]
[name]Raiden[/name] (RI-den)
Daichi (da-EE-chee)

Here are some unique, unusual names from different cultures to pair with Sosuke.
Boys
[name]ATLAS[/name] (Greek): in mythology, a Titan who carried the world on his shoulders)
BELDANE (English): from the beautiful glen
[name]CAIUS[/name] (Latin): one who rejoices
[name]CANAAN[/name] (Hebrew): a Biblical place name
[name]COSMO[/name] (Latin): the order of the universe
[name]CREED[/name] (Latin): a guiding principle or belief
[name]DALZIEL[/name] (Scottish-pronounced dee-el): from the little field
ELEGY (Spanish/Latin): one who is memorable
[name]HERMES[/name] (GREEK): in mythology, the messenger of the gods
HONOVI (Native American): having great strength
[name]INIGO[/name] (Spanish): an ardent man
[name]JAPHETH[/name] (Hebrew): in the Bible, one of [name]Noah[/name]'s sons
[name]JASPER[/name] (Persian): who who holds the treasure
[name]JERICHO[/name] (Hebrew): a Biblical place name
[name]JOVE[/name] (Latin): in mythology, another name for the god [name]Jupiter[/name]
[name]KIRAN[/name] (Hindi): a ray of light
[name]LEANDER[/name] (Greek): a lion of a man and a mythological figure
[name]LEITH[/name] ( Gaelic): from the broad river)
[name]LYSANDER[/name] (Greek): the liberator
MACCABEE (Hebrew): a hammer
[name]MANNIX[/name] (Irish): a little monk
[name]MELCHIOR[/name] (Polish): the king of the city
[name]MORPHEUS[/name] (Greek): in mythology, the god of dreams
[name]MUNGO[/name] (Gaelic): one who is very dear
[name]NAZAIRE[/name] (Latin/French): a man from [name]Nazareth[/name]
[name]NIRAN[/name] (Thai): the eternal one
OBELIX (Greek): a pillar of strength
[name]ODIN[/name] (Norse): in mythology, the supreme deity
OHANZEE (Native American : a shadow)
[name]OMRI[/name] (Hebrew): a servant of God
[name]ORION[/name] (Greek): in mythology, a great hunter; a constellation
[name]PALLADIN[/name] (Greek): filled with wisdom
[name]PHILO[/name] (Greek): one who loves and is loved
PLANTAGENET (French): resembling the flower; a royal dynasty
[name]POLLUX[/name] (Greek): one who is crowned
RADAMES (Egyptian): a hero
[name]RAMSES[/name] (Egyptian): born of the sun god
[name]RHODRI[/name] (Welsh): a strong ruler
SAITH (English): one who is well-spoken
[name]SAXON[/name] (English): a swordsman
SHAIMING (Chinese): of the sunshine
[name]SHEM[/name] (Hebrew): having a well-known name
TALFRYN (Welsh): from the high hill
[name]TALIESIN[/name] (Welsh): radiant brow
[name]TAMERLANE[/name] (English): one who is lame
TAO (Chinese:resembling a peach; symbol of long life)
[name]TARQUIN[/name] (Latin): a king; one who is impulsive
TECUMSEH (Native American): a traveler; resembling a shooting star
[name]TEILO[/name] (Welsh): a saintly man
[name]THERON[/name] (Greek): a great hunter
[name]THOR[/name] (Norse): in mythology, the god of thunder
[name]TORQUIL[/name] (Gaelic); [name]Thor[/name]'s helmet
TINTAGEL (Cornish): in Arthurian legend, the birthplace of [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]
TREVELYAN (Cornish/Welsh): from the house of [name]Elian[/name]
[name]VALERIAN[/name] (Latin): one who is strong and healthyZ
[name]ZADOK[/name] (Hebrew): one who is righteous and just
[name]ZEPHYR[/name] (Greek): of the west wind

Girls
[name]ALAIA[/name] (Arabic/Basque): One who is majestic, of high worth/joy)
[name]CHIMENE[/name] (French: one who is ambitious)
[name]CIRCE[/name] (Greek): mythological sorceress
[name]CLIO[/name] (Greek): [name]Muse[/name] of history
[name]CRESSIDA[/name] (Greek): the golden girl
[name]CRIMSON[/name] (English): red color name
[name]DEMELZA[/name] (Cornish): from the hill’s fortress
[name]DHARMA[/name] (Hindi): the universal law of order
EXODUS (Hebrew): of the great deliverance
[name]GALILEE[/name] (Hebrew): from the sacred sea
GITHA (Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name]): a gift from God
[name]HAIDEE[/name] (Greek): a modest woman
[name]HEPHZIBAH[/name] (Hebrew): she is my delight
[name]IONE[/name] (Greek) resembling the violet flower
[name]JUNO[/name] (Latin): mythological goddess of marriage and women
[name]KARMA[/name] ([name]Indian[/name]): one’s actions determine one’s destiny
LLASA ([name]Indian[/name]/Tibetan): from the sacred city
[name]MALU[/name] (Hawaiian): a peaceful woman
MELANGELL (Welsh): a sweet messenger from heaven
[name]NEITH[/name] (Egyptian) : goddess of war and hunting
NIMAH (Arabic): blessed by God
PAIVA (Finnish): born during daylight
[name]PHAIDRA[/name] (Greek): a bright woman
RADHA (Hindi): a successful woman
SADZI (American): having a sunny disposition
SAKTI (Hindi): in Hinduism, the divine energy
[name]SALOME[/name] (Hebrew): one who offers peace and tranquility
[name]SENECA[/name] (Native American): a tribal name
[name]SEQUOIA[/name] (Native American): of the great redwood tree
[name]SHASTA[/name] (Native [name]America[/name]): from the triple-peaked mountain
SUNNIVA (English): gift of the sun
TAMESIS (Celtic): the goddess of water
[name]TANAQUIL[/name] (Latin: worshipped in the home)
[name]TANITH[/name] (Phoenician): goddess of love, fertility, the moon and stars
TAPHATH (Hebrew): in the Bible, the daughter of [name]King[/name] [name]Solomon[/name]
TETHYS (Greek): in mythology, a sea goddess
THEMIS (Greek): in mythology, the goddess of law and order
[name]THISBE[/name] (Greek): mythological figure
[name]TOPANGA[/name] (Native American): where the mountain meets the sea
[name]UNDINE[/name] (Latin): in mythology, a female water spirit
[name]VASHTI[/name] (Persian): a lovely woman
[name]VIRIDIS[/name] (Latin): youthful and blooming; green; innocent
ZAYLIE (English): a heavenly woman
[name]ZULEIKA[/name] (Arabic): one who is brilliant and lovely; fair

Thanks for everyone who replied!
I’m not looking for a Japanese name but i decided on Japanese names for the middle name :slight_smile:

For the girls i really am falling in love with [name]Rosalie[/name]. I think it goes great with Sosuke.
Out of the Japanese names suggested, i really like [name]Sora[/name], [name]Emi[/name], and [name]Jin[/name]
But i think [name]Sora[/name] is a lot like [name]Sara[/name] which is really feminine next to [name]Rosalie[/name]. I don’t want an over the top girlie name. And the ending of [name]Emi[/name] with [name]Rosalie[/name] sound too similar.

I REALLY like [name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Jin[/name]
I think i found my girl name!!!

Only problem, is i don’t like ANY of the boys names on my name list with Sosuke. So i need ALL new names! :frowning:
Its not that i didn’t like anyone’s suggestions, its just VERY hard to find names that go so well with Sosuke, and on top of that, it has to be a name i love.
I do think [name]Kai[/name] goes great with Sosuke! But i don’t like short names like that for a first name. [name]LOVE[/name] for a middle name though. I would love to use [name]Kai[/name] as a middle name.

If anyone can think of any male names that goes with Sosuke and can go with the middle name of [name]Kai[/name]?
Sorry this is such a challenge!

I’m working on my new boy name list, and will update everyone ASAP so i can see what you think!

So i found two names i like…tell me what you think!

Sosuke and [name]Hawthorn[/name]
Sosuke and [name]Tatum[/name]

I love love love [name]Hawthorn[/name]…but are there any nicknames? [name]Hawthorn[/name] is a lot to say every time saying the name.

[name]Mira[/name] or [name]Aria[/name] would be so cute with Sosuke.

Anyways, for boy names I think another [name]Asian[/name] name would be ideal. Maybe…
Kasem, Thai, means happiness.
Liang, Chinese, means good, excellent.
[name]Park[/name], chinese, means the cypress tree.
[name]Ryo[/name], Japanese, means excellent.
Tomio, Japanese, means treasured man.
[name]Zhen[/name], Chinese, means greatly astonished.
Zian, Chinese, means self peace.
[name]Taj[/name], Hindi/Sanskrit, means crown.

Okay sorry for ANOTHER post but i found that its spelt [name]Hawthorne[/name].

And i found a forum about nicknames for [name]Hawthorne[/name]

So [name]Hawthorne[/name] and [name]Tatum[/name] are on my new list!

ooooo i like [name]Ryo[/name]!!
Its a bit short for my taste, but it is still 2 syllables. And doesn’t sound over the top [name]Asian[/name] haha.
This name too will be added to my new boys list. Thanks!

You indicated that you have decided on a girls name, with the middle name being [name]JIN[/name]. I wanted to bring it to your attention that [name]JIN[/name] is a Japanese “boys” name. I am 3rd generation Japanese-American, so I am not 100% in the know, but I have only seen it on boys (e.g., singer [name]Jin[/name] Akanishi). You may want to research this, to see if it’s unisex or strictly for boys. I believe it also is a Korean boys name.

http://www.babynames.com/name/[name]JIN[/name]

On this sight it says its a female name, but it is probably unisex. It also says its Japanese.
But I’m gonna do more research on the name. Thanks :slight_smile:

[name]Atticus[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name] are my picks. The other names are great, but seem very tame next to Sosuke. These names hold their own more so than the other names on your lists, in my opinion.

[name]Just[/name] a thought, and I shall take a look at your list when I have more time - firstly, Sosuke is brilliant! Now, I personally think for a sibling you need another foreign name which isn’t in frequent use in English-speaking countries.

For a boy :
[name]Cosmo[/name] (Greek)
[name]Didier[/name] (French)
[name]Dimitri[/name] (Russian)
[name]Inigo[/name] (Basque)
[name]Otto[/name] ([name]German[/name])
[name]Remi[/name] (French)

For a girl :
[name]Capucine[/name] (French)
[name]Electra[/name] (Greek)
[name]Elodie[/name] (French)
[name]Freya[/name] (Norse, but popular in the UK)
[name]Ingrid[/name] (Norse)
Ma”lys (French)
[name]Noemie[/name] (French).

Good luck! [name]Auburn[/name]