Sophie or Silvie?

Wondering what everyone prefers… [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Louise[/name] or [name]Silvie[/name] [name]Louise[/name]. My husband likes [name]Sophie[/name] but I am worried about it as it is so popular right now. I love both, but tend to lean towards [name]Silvie[/name] as it is less common. Also which spelling of [name]Silvie[/name]/[name]Sylvie[/name] is better? I do not really like [name]Silvia[/name] - it would be just [name]Silvie[/name]. [name]Louise[/name] is set as it is a family name.

I like [name]Sophie[/name] more, but I don’t like how popular it’s become.
I like [name]Silvana[/name] far more than [name]Silvie[/name]. And I prefer [name]Sylvie[/name] over [name]Silvie[/name].

I think [name]Silvie[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is wonderful!

I [name]Love[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]! It’s on my girls list! Suits a young person and an older one! [name]Sophie[/name] is a great name, but I’m a teacher and hear it a lot - if you were after something that was less common!?

I love [name]Sophie[/name]; it was our first pick for our bub due next month, but when we realised how popular it is we decided (very sadly) not to use it. I have, however, lately been toying with the idea of [name]Josephine[/name] instead, using [name]Soph[/name] or [name]Sophie[/name] as a nn, as a way of ‘keeping’ the name but having the option to be [name]Jo[/name], [name]Josie[/name], Phee or [name]Josephine[/name] if she finds herself surrounded by other Sophies…just a thought.

Otherwise, to [name]Sylvie[/name] (sweet name) I would automatically assume the ‘y’ spelling and probably expect that it was a nn; short for [name]Sylvia[/name] or [name]Sylvana[/name], don’t know if that matters to you. I think the ‘i’ spelling makes it look more like a full name, but would probably get misspelt a lot by people like me assuming the ‘y’. So that’s a 50/50 vote on the spelling I guess!

What lrmum said : D.

I love [name]Sophie[/name]. It seems very popular though. Especially if you consider it being so similar to [name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Sylvie[/name] is pretty and less common.
[name]Sapphire[/name] nn Sapphy is another alternative.
Good luck!

I love [name]Sylvie[/name] and the beautiful French sound with it. [name]Sophie[/name] is a pretty, albeit popular name, perhaps too popular for my tastes.

[name]Silvie[/name] is beautiful…there are sooooo many [name]Sophie[/name]'s around…I hear it EVERYWHERE

[name]Sylvie[/name] for sure! Great choice, I like both spellings.

I agree on [name]Sylvie[/name]

[name]Silvie[/name]! Either spelling. It has all the lovely qualities of [name]Sophie[/name] without the insane popularity. Seriously, some of the concerns on Nameberry about popularity seem crazy to me, but [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name] are really very popular.

I prefer [name]Sylvie[/name], and prefer this spelling by a long shot. While I really do love [name]Sophie[/name], it is just way to popular for me. Plus [name]EVERY[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] I know get’s called [name]Sophie[/name].

I agree, but I don’t like [name]Sylvie[/name] all that much.

I really love [name]Sylvie[/name]. [name]Both[/name] spellings are pretty, but I prefer it with the y. I like [name]Sophie[/name] too (though not as much), but I have met soooo many Sophies.

Despite popularity, I would go with [name]Sophie[/name].

definitely sylvie over sophie!!! not only is sophie one of the most popular baby girl names on the planet right now, its also the name of one of the most popular children’s toys on the market today. all in all, about the most overused name imaginable.
i agree with you that sylvia, (and silvana for that matter), is less appealing.
i would use the y spelling as it is the standard/expected short form that people will automatically go to, visually it is easier to make out at a glance, and prettier.

[name]Silvie[/name] [name]Silvie[/name] [name]Silvie[/name] and one more time, [name]Silvie[/name]! [name]Silvie[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is beautiful, go on, you know you want to :wink:

I like both but give a slight edge to [name]Sylvie[/name] for reasons of popularity. I definitely prefer the “y” spelling–"[name]Silvie[/name]" just reads as misspelled French.

[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Louise[/name] gets my vote!