Starla

in the search for my daughters’ names, i think i may have gotten addicted to this forum…
just curious what you all think of the name [name]Starla[/name]…
i really like it, but don’t think i’d ever use it…
i think it’s beautiful and sweet, but it kind of makes me think of an 80’s cartoon character…
anyway… thoughts? opinions?

In all honestly, it feels dated to me and not very sophisticated. :frowning: (I’m sorry!)

I picture [name]Starla[/name] as a sibling to sisters with names like [name]Darleen[/name], [name]Jolene[/name], [name]Crystal[/name], [name]Wanda[/name], or [name]Misty[/name].

I really like [name]Stella[/name], [name]Estella[/name], and [name]Estelle[/name], though, which also mean “star.”

Good luck! :slight_smile:

lol… know what’s funny?
i actually like [name]Crystal[/name], [name]Misti[/name], and [name]Darlene[/name]…
you’re entitled to your opinion though… i agree that [name]Stella[/name] would probably be a better alternative to [name]Starla[/name]…
but [name]Starla[/name] just feels so whimsical to me…
i don’t know why i like it so much…
as i said, though, i don’t think i could ever bring myself to use it… especially now as it wouldn’t work in a sibset with my twins due in january::: [name]Caoimhe[/name], Aibhlinn, and [name]Starla[/name]… lol… yeah that just doesn’t work.

I really like your twins’ names! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I actually kind of like [name]Starla[/name] but I keep wanting it to be something else… it looks half finished to me for some reason. No idea why.

And I really like [name]Crystal[/name]! My friends call me that sometimes, it’s a personally joke kind of thing though, not a nn.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Never heard [name]Starla[/name] before. I wouldn’t choose it as first name, but it’s a perfect middle name… As a first name I’d prefer [name]Stella[/name]…

[name]Starla[/name] just makes me think of a cartoon called [name]Starla[/name] and the [name]Jewel[/name] Riders

It’s one of those names that appealed to me once, even though I also think it’s kind of cheesy. A name can be appealing and cheesy at the same time. I agree with [name]Jill[/name], it belongs in a certain category of names that aren’t really high on the food chain, so I wouldn’t use it. It does have a pretty sound, but I think of someone having this name not necessarily being uneducated, but someone who has some obstacles to overcome if she wants to, and being someone with a name that doesn’t necessarily fit. I hate feeling like a dirty classist, but that’s a name that seems unexpected in certain venues - a name that one’s mother gives to imbue certain qualities of confidence and ego (a [name]Star[/name]- it says so in the name!), but doesn’t have the parenting tools to help her child channel that into any kind of success - that’s as far as one’s name really tells a better story of who one’s parents are and what they are about.

[name]Charla[/name] would be better, although it seems dated and tied to [name]Charlene[/name], I think it is cute. [name]Carla[/name] is also pretty (for feminized [name]Charles[/name] these days, it’s [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Caroline[/name] in fashion). Neither mean [name]Star[/name]. I don’t love [name]Stella[/name] or [name]Estelle[/name] or [name]Celeste[/name] or any of those as much as some people. I get they mean the same thing, but they don’t give me the same star-like imagery or quality. I am remembering a [name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name] kid from way back in the old days name Shala. Some people thought her name was [name]Charla[/name] (I found a clip where she says her name is Shala, but [name]Kermit[/name] clearly calls her [name]Charla[/name]), http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_player?p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_id=videoPlayer_WAR_sesameportlets4369&p_p_uid=e7b2a5ea-154e-11dd-8ea8-a3d2ac25b65b
and another site says her name was actually Shola. Anyway, something I thought was interesting trivia. Her name reminds me of words you sing when you don’t know the words, sha la la la. No idea what it means. There is definitely something pretty, if not currently wildly trendy, about names that end in -la.

It is not my style. Reminds me of a hippy name. It is a lot for a kid to live up to (or down to). It is too much of a defining name for my taste.

It’s not a name I like and I really don’t think it goes with your twins name…

Being cursed with the name of [name]Tiffany[/name], I’m very sensitive to names that are a little too unserious, flashy sounding… [name]Starla[/name] may be cute for a little girl, but is [name]Starla[/name] a good name for your daughter that grows and decides she wants to be a politician or serious lawyer?

Huh, it seems so blan and boring and dated to me. Also i had a cat names [name]Star[/name] growing up so it reminds me of that. It sounds like one of those names that tried to be sophisticated and pretty and never quite made it. Not to mention if there were to be a women with the name [name]Starla[/name] i immediatly picture a very elderly women and nothing else. Sorrry. Im not a big fan of [name]Stella[/name] but i much perfer [name]Stella[/name] to [name]Starla[/name]. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I’m the same, I think that in theory it’s pretty but in practice it’s just not classy. It makes me think stripper. And now it reminds me of poor [name]Jaycee[/name] Dugard - one of her daughters is named Starlit.

i like it… i think it’s kind of pretty, but i’d never ever use it.
i knew a girl in high school whose name was [name]Starla[/name] [name]Kate[/name]…
as an adult, she goes by [name]Kate[/name], but in school she loved her name.
I think it works on a child or even a teenager… but once you hit adulthood, you tend to want something more sophistocated.
If you’re going to use it, i’d definitely pair it with a more mature middle name.

What about the Welsh [name]SEREN[/name], meaning star? It would go sort-of-ok with your Irish twins! What is the Irish for star, someone???

oh. i was never considering actually using it…
i like it… but it seems a little too retro-1980’s cartoon character to me… i was just wondering what everyone else thought of it…

I really like [name]Starla[/name] ( and [name]Stella[/name] too). I don’t associate it with anything mentioned by previous posters. Maybe it’s a US thing. And I’m sure when the baby grows up in the 2010’s they will have no idea about any supposed 80’s references or stripper names! (and if you associate it with a stripper name it says much about you if anything.)

I also find it terribly sad how some people feel they need to change their name to be regarded by others as ‘sophisticated’!

I am also a [name]Tiffany[/name]! I couldn’t agree more with your statement. I do not advise naming your daughter [name]Starla[/name]…

stripper name

I agree with the OP, it sounds dated … like an 80s soap opera name. For interest’s sake, star in Irish is r”alta (RAIL-tuh), but firstly I think this sounds too much like realtor to be usable, and secondly it is not, as far as I know, used as a name, and so I don’t recommend it!

I knew a Starlina in high school who went by [name]Star[/name] or [name]Starla[/name] most often. I remember thinking at the time that it was a hippy-ish name, but I also really liked her, so this name is good in my opinion. You might also consider names that mean star.