Still debating..Viola or Scarlett? Vote! MN for Scarlett?

I posted a couple weeks ago asking people to give me their opinions / associations on the name [name]Viola[/name]. Thanks to the couple of individuals that sent me some imagery. I do really like the name. However, I still feel conflicted on whether to go with [name]Viola[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name] as a first name for my girl due in Oct. Good thing I still have a couple months. Which do you prefer?? [name]Viola[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name]?

Thanks,

[name]Michelle[/name]

Also, I have been thinking more about a middle name for [name]Scarlett[/name]. I like [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name] (maybe b/c of the Blues song [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name] Blues and the fact that it is a family name). However, I am not as crazy about [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. I see and hear more of a tongue twister here. I want to honor family.

A couple other names I could try to find a different version of to go with [name]Scarlett[/name] would be: [name]Karole[/name] (mom’s name), [name]Elaine[/name] (mom’s mn), [name]Ruth[/name] (name of deceased grandma who was married to [name]Lee[/name] / [name]Leeland[/name]), and [name]Ilene[/name] ([name]Ruth[/name]'s mn). Any thoughts there on modern versions to go with [name]Scarlett[/name]? Keep in mind our last name is hyphenated and long - blankblank-blankblankblank (first name is French / second is [name]German[/name]).

My vote goes for [name]Scarlett[/name]!
Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile:

Did you consider [name]Violette[/name]? Probably, right? It’s sort of a combination of the two.

[name]Both[/name] [name]Viola[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] are nice names. They are different stylistically. The main thing they have in common is they are both colors, or [name]Viola[/name] is nearly ‘violet.’ (I am assuming you pronounce [name]Viola[/name] Vee-ola not Vye-ola – if it’s Vye-ola I definitely prefer [name]Scarlett[/name].)

[name]Viola[/name] sounds more antique. [name]Scarlett[/name] is in today’s spotlight because of [name]Scarlett[/name] Johansson. [name]Scarlett[/name] seems to demand a particular tempestuous personality. Partly because of [name]Scarlett[/name] O’[name]Hara[/name] but also because red is the color of passion. So if your child turns out to be shy and bookish it will be sort of comical.

When I had my first child I had 3 names in mind when I went to the hospital. I think it’s ok to keep both in mind until you see your baby.

I looked at your past post and I see you are pronouncing it Vye-ola. I thought I preferred Vee-ola but now I am feeling confused, because I am repeating both over and over to myself, and I am not sure.

I like [name]Violet[/name], but I didn’t go with it the first time around because I wanted a name that worked in other languages, especially [name]Romance[/name] languages, because we like to travel. (Now that we have a 2 year old and I am pregnant we don’t do it much but we can still look to the future…) Anyway in French, [name]Violet[/name] would have to be [name]Violette[/name] or it’s a homonym with the word for “to rape.” I think it’s similar in Spanish. (I speak French but not so much Spanish.) So there’s that.

With [name]Viola[/name], pronouncing it my way, vee-ola, makes it more like the French “violer” than your way does…

Am I helping or just making you more confused?

I really like the [name]Vi[/name]-oh-la pronunciation best. I like [name]Violette[/name] but the nn would probably be [name]Violet[/name]. I had [name]Violet[/name] on my list with my first baby but a friend of a friend recently used it… Plus, I have seen it around a lot lately. [name]Violetta[/name] is too long.

So, it really is down to [name]Viola[/name] & [name]Scarlett[/name] (i hope!). Let me know which one you like best for first name. Thanks for the help!

P.S. Sibling is 2 1/2 year old [name]Julian[/name]

I like both names and think you can’t go wrong but [name]Viola[/name] will be more distinctive. I like the long-i pronunciation, too. One more thing I thought of with this name: I don’t know if kids are still reading “Miss [name]Nelson[/name] is Missing” but the evil substitute teacher alter ego of Miss [name]Nelson[/name] is named [name]Viola[/name] Swamp.

I really love both names!

I want to vote again for [name]Viola[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]! :slight_smile:

Ok, so I think we have 1 definite vote for [name]Scarlett[/name] and maybe 2 for [name]Viola[/name]? Keep voting :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name], I like them both together too and love that you are passionate about both names. It makes the choice seem less risky for a first name b/c I tend to agree with a lot of your opinions. However, I think we have decided we need to use the family name, [name]Lee[/name], as a middle name. Plus, it may just be me (b/c many other people agreed with you) but I don’t think the tongue twister is too bad. And, I kind of like the short, tom boy grounding element of [name]Lee[/name].

If you love [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name], you should totally go for it! :slight_smile: Pick the name you love!

BIG VOTE FOR [name]VIOLA[/name]!!

Nothing against [name]Scarlett[/name], but it’s no contest in my mind. (Esp. with [name]Lee[/name] :))

[name]Scarlette[/name] all the way classic yet unique!

My vote is for [name]Scarlett[/name] on it’s own, however I think the mn [name]Lee[/name] goes better with [name]Viola[/name].

[name]Just[/name] to confuse you more :slight_smile:

[name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name]!

Thanks everyone. I think it is 3 [name]Scarlett[/name] and 5 [name]Viola[/name]

Eep that is a hard one! I absolutely adore both names. Before [name]Scarlett[/name] became more popular I would have said it won hands down. But I’ve always have a soft spot for [name]Viola[/name] too. Another thing I love is that they are both literature names! That is way awesome to me : D

I think I vote for [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Lee[/name] is pretty also but [name]Scarlett[/name]'s character in GWTW was portrayed by [name]Vivian[/name] [name]LEIGH[/name]. That is a little too much in my opinion to incorporate the two names together.

Good luck!

I honestly can’t decide. They’re two of my favorites. I’m pretty sure if it were me I’d use [name]Scarlett[/name] (it’s been my favorite name for years). [name]Viola[/name] is a newer favorite of mine, number 3 or 4 on my list. I believe if I were you I would go with [name]Viola[/name], it’s so much less common. Bah, people who love the exact same names are not much help in the voting department! Sorry! I go to customizedgirl.com and type out the names I like and see them in all different fonts and colors to figure out which I like best. And practice saying and see which feels better! Tough choice, either way you win, two gorgeous names!

i vote for [name]Viola[/name]. scarlett is also nice, but i like how [name]Viola[/name] is less used while still being a not too odd of a name.

I love the name scarlett. that is one of the names i had picked out for a second child

I think it is 4 for [name]Scarlett[/name] and 8 for [name]Viola[/name]. Thanks for voting.

It helps to hear what users of this site think. We have shared the name with two close friends and my sister. A lot of them seem to choose [name]Scarlett[/name]…whereas people on this site seem to choose [name]Viola[/name]. I think the husband is leaning towards [name]Viola[/name] and I’m still unsure. Somedays it is fiery, glamourous [name]Scarlett[/name] and other days it is sweet [name]Viola[/name]. I just wish I didn’t hear [name]Viola[/name] portrayed in films as waitresses, maids, and old ladies! When we decide on will make sure i update everyone as you have helped me so much.