Stuck on a combo - thoughts? suggestions?

I’m looking for a nature / word name to complete the combo Zosime ____ Illyria. This is usually very easy for me, because as an herbalist, I have long lists of botanical names that I like. However, the vibe I’m going for with this combo is cosmic, celestial, elemental, and primordial - a departure from my normal style. I’m having a hard time coming up with a good word or nature name that fits this aesthetic while still blending in with the rest of my combos.

Zosime means “vital; survivor; likely to survive,” and we’d be using the “ZOH-sih-may” pronunciation. Illyria means “living star; the one that sparks; to burn.”

If you are a visual person, feel free to reference this moodboard for inspiration.

These are the options I’m currently considering:

Zosime Aeon Illyria
pros - love the meaning; seems like it really fits the aesthetic, possibly because of the similar sound to “neon;” current front-runner.
cons - might be too sci-fi to blend well with the rest of my combos?

Zosime Ember Illyria
pros - good flow; really fits the meaning and aesthetic
cons - it’s so similar to Amber, which is a significant negative association

Zosime Topaz Illyria
pros - great flow; love the repeating O and Z sounds; has meaning in addition to being a word name; fits the aesthetic
cons - was never really on my radar on its own merits; two Zs in one combo might come off as trying too hard to be cool

Zosime Aster Illyria
pros - definitely fits the cosmic vibe; love that it’s a botanical name
cons - don’t love the “ass” sound; seems almost too “name-name-y”

Zosime Hero Illyria
pros - fits with the powerful, cosmic vibe; decent flow
cons - not my usual style at all, and not a name I love on its own; seems like a lot of name to live up to

Zosime Aura Illyria
pros - definite cosmic vibes; beautiful meaning; love the metaphysical imagery
cons - flow isn’t great with Illyria; might be too similar to Aurora, child of a very close friend who they would be around often; I have pronunciation issues with “aur” sounds - most people say them like “or” (Laura and Nora would rhyme), but I say them more like “awr” or “ahr” (Laura and Lara would rhyme).

Zosime Tempest Illyria
pros - has a powerful, primordial vibe; love the Shakespeare reference
cons - not sure if it’s trying too hard; might prefer with a different aesthetic

Zosime Nova Illyria
pros - childhood associations with science and learning; fits the cosmic vibe
cons - the flow is not great with Illyria

Zosime Serpent Illyria
pros - chock full of magical meaning, references, and symbolism
cons - might come off as trying to hard to be badass or “out there;” family would probably hate it because of religious reasons

Zosime Lotus Illyria
pros - definitely has a cosmic, spiritual vibe; gorgeous meaning and symbolism; has those repeated long-O sounds
cons - not my favorite name on its own merits; maybe a little too calm and serene for the vibe

Zosime Echo Illyria
pros - fits the cosmic aesthetic; love the repeating O-sounds; an honor name
cons - I’m already using Echo in the combo for my previous aesthetic, Melusine Echo Alcyone, and I think I like it there better

Zosime Thorn Illyria
pros - feels sharp and strong and badass; love the imagery; good flow; love the repeating long O sounds
cons - sounds like it’s trying too hard to be tough; not sure if cosmic enough?

Zosime Karma Illyria
pros - love the spiritual meaning
cons - the flow isn’t great with Illyria; feels a little stereotypically hippie?

Zosime Opal Illyria
pros - I really love this name and have so many positive associations with it
cons - isn’t a perfect fit with the aesthetic; the flow isn’t great with Illyria

Zosime Fury Illyria
pros - I love the powerful, mythic vibe and imagery; nerd reference to one of my favorite book series; love the flow
cons - a bit of a hard name to wear; associated more with the emotion of anger than with the mythical creatures

Zosime Veda Illyria
pros - fits the cosmic vibe; has a gorgeous meaning
cons - not one of my favorite names on its own; might be too “name-name-y” to fill the word/nature requirement

Others I’ve considered, but discarded:
Lapis, Comet, Horizon, Briar (would use in a heartbeat if wasn’t off-limits due to a negative association), Neon, Moon, Flame, Titan, Nebula, Evanescence, Brave, Azure, Tarot, Star, Indigo, Rune, Meteor, Sage, Chaos, Thyme, Ozone, Nirvana, Garnet, Eclipse, Dare, Bright, Chakra, Kestrel, Oracle, Blue, Mars, Firebird, Arcana, Rose, Tourmaline, Flare, Sapphire, Kismet (love this one and would use it in a heartbeat, but it’s the name of a person we know), Quartz, Journey, Cobalt, Zenith, Saffron, Galaxy, Rain, Iris, and Solstice.

I’d love to hear your feedback on the options I’m considering, whether they go well with the rest of my combos, if any of them feel like a “LavenderWitch name,” etc.

I’d also love any nature / word name suggestions you can think of that might work for a fiery cosmic goddess.

Thank you in advance for your help, my dears! :purple_heart:

This would be my choice of your options! I really think the cons don’t need to actually be cons. The two z’s is definitely not over the top, forsure with a third non Z name. Plus you love the sound of them, as do I. Nature/word names (to me) have their own merit just by their natural meaning. And Topaz fits the aesthetic perfectly and is a brilliant, underused gem.

Zosime Aurore Illyria
Zosime Bright Illyria
Zosime Brighton Illyria
Zosime Caraway Illyria
Zosime Coral Illyria
Zosime Cosmo Illyria
Zosime Dandelion Illyria
Zosime Diamond Illyria
Zosime Emblem Illyria
Zosime Glimmer Illyria
Zosime Golden Illyria
Zosime Goldfinch Illyria
Zosime Lore Illyria
Zosime Onyx Illyria
Zosime Quest Illyria
Zosime Realm Illyria
Zosime Sassafras Illyria
Zosime Stargazer Illyria
Zosime Solaris Illyria
Zosime Tamarisk Illyria
Zosime Zephyr Illyria

1 Like

If it were me I would strike off Serpent and Fury. I do see the allure in Fury, and the sound is great. But these just feel like they would come across as Zosime Snake [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Zosime Anger [name_f]Illyria[/name_f].

1 Like

what a list! and they’re all so gorgeous too :star_struck:

i love (for you):
zosima aeon illyria
zosime echo illyria
zosime tempest illyria - it’s not bang on with the aesthetic, but it’s still wonderful!
zosime topaz illyria
** i also love opal & lotus in this combo, but not for the aesthetic.

i like (for you):
zosime ember illyria - i think this one flows the best, and the imagery is perfection. it is quite close to amber though, which is unfortunate.
zosime aura illyria - don’t think it’s too close to aurora, especially as a middle, but i don’t love how it flows.
zosime aster illyria
zosime thorn illyria
zosime veda illyria

not a fan:
zosime hero illyria
zosime fury illyria: adore it in theory, but feels a bit too harsh in practice.
zosime serpent illyria
zosime karma illyria: karma sounds so pretty and i love the meaning, but (personally) i would avoid it as a name.

i really like the previous suggestion of zosime aurore illyria and zosime solaris illyria.

1 Like

Here are some ideas. Forgive me, this isn’t the most considered response as I am supposed to be leaving the house right now, but these names occurred to me quickly as flowing nicely and fitting some of your criteria & or colours in your moodboard. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] they are helpful & youfind what you are looking for soon :star_struck:

Zosime [name_f]Perouze[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_m]Ganymede[/name_m] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime Agathis [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_f]Esteri[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_f]Etoile[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]

1 Like

Zosime__ Ilyria is stunning!!

I really enjoy Zosime [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] Ilyria and Zosime [name_u]Hero[/name_u] Ilyria - [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] especially- there’s something mythical amd interesting about it!

Zosime [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] Ilyria
Zosime Goldstone Ilyria
Zosime [name_f]Magenta[/name_f] Ilyria
Zosime [name_u]Cyan[/name_u] Ilyria
Zosime [name_m]Saturn[/name_m] Ilyria
Zosime Stardust Ilyria
Zosime Gleam Ilyria
Zosime [name_u]Glow[/name_u] Ilyria
Zosime [name_u]Stellar[/name_u] Ilyria

1 Like

@columbiacharm - Thank you so much for your feedback, especially on Zosime [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]. I’m glad you don’t think it’s trying to hard. Of your suggestions, I love Zosime [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and I’m considering Zosime [name_f]Lore[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Zosime [name_f]Glimmer[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f].
I also appreciate your input on Zosime Serpent [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Zosime Fury [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]. I can definitely see how Fury sounds like Anger, and Snake just doesn’t have the same appeal as Serpent.

@Indilee - Thank you so much for your sweet and insightful comments! I also found your rankings really helpful in gauging how strongly I felt about a particular combo.
I can see how [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and [name_u]Lotus[/name_u] are not the best fit for this aesthetic. I’m also happy to see Zosime Aeon [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Zosime [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] in your “love” list, so that tells me I feel strongly about these two.
I agree with you that Zosime [name_u]Ember[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] would be fantastic, but I think it’s just too close to [name_f]Amber[/name_f]. I’m also happy to see Zosime [name_u]Aster[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Zosime [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] on the “like” list, but lukewarm about Zosime [name_f]Aura[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Zosime [name_f]Veda[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], which means I might need to reconsider those two.
I think I agree with your no votes at this point. [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is just too much name, Serpent and Fury are too edgy, and [name_u]Karma[/name_u] is not enough of a connection to outweigh the problematic bits.

@EdgeOfTheMeadow - Thank you for your suggestions! I think it’s sweet that you were replying while on your way out the door, so no worries there - I just hope I didn’t make you late! :sweat_smile:
[name_m]Ganymede[/name_m] and [name_f]Esteri[/name_f] are gorgeous and definitely going on the list for the moodboard.

@Greyblue - Thank you so much for your feedback! Zosime [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] is really growing on me. Of your suggestions, I love Zosime [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], Zosime Stardust [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], Zosime Gleam [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], and Zosime [name_u]Glow[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f].

Here is the current state of the options I’m considering after your feedback.

Still on the list:

• Zosime [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] (now in first place)
  • Zosime Aeon [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
  • Zosime [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
  • Zosime [name_u]Aster[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
  • Zosime [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
  • Zosime [name_u]Nova[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]

On thin ice:

• Zosime [name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - not sure it fits the vibe, but not ready to cut this one
  • Zosime [name_f]Aura[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - not sure I like it enough to outweigh the issues

Removed:

• Zosime [name_u]Ember[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - just too close to [name_f]Amber[/name_f]
  • Zosime [name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - too much name, not really my style
  • Zosime Serpent [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - too “out there”
  • Zosime [name_u]Lotus[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - not right for the vibe
  • Zosime [name_u]Echo[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - I’m just too happy with the [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] combo to move this one
  • Zosime [name_u]Karma[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - don’t love it enough to outweigh potential problems
  • Zosime Fury [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - the positive associations don’t outweigh the negatives
  • Zosime [name_f]Veda[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - not as much of a word name, and I just don’t love it enough

Added:

• Zosime [name_f]Glimmer[/name_f] Illlyria
    pros - love the repeating “im” sounds; sci-fi without being harsh; a fantastic reference to She-Ra and the Princesses of [name_u]Power[/name_u] which is full of cosmic warrior femme energy
    cons - might be too sparkle-princess?
  • Zosime [name_f]Lore[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
    pros - fantastic word name; love the flow
    cons - might be too [name_u]Angel[/name_u] (characters named [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and Lorne); not sure it fits the aesthetic
  • Zosime [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
    pros - a gem name that feels powerful and strong rather than cutesy; love the meaning of “claw; talon; fingernail” because I feel that brings in strong falcon / harpy / fury / valkyrie imagery; very witchy, has pretty powerful protective properties (say that five times fast) - probably in the top three at this point
    cons - with all the Zs, Ys, and Xs in this combo, it feels a little “X-factor trendy”
  • Zosime Stardust [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
    pros - love the cosmic imagery; definitely fits the aesthetic; references a great book/movie; reminiscent of one of my favorite quotes, “we are all stardust,” which has tie-ins with my belief system
    cons - compound word names are always a risk because they can come off so stereotypically hippie; maybe a little whimsical for the vibe
  • Zosime Gleam [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
    pros - an unusual word name, which are right up my alley; fits the imagery; good flow
    cons - might be a little superficial, doesn’t have the same depth of meaning as some of the others
  • Zosime [name_u]Glow[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
    pros - another unusual word name; definitely fits the vibe; love the repeating long-O sounds; good flow
    cons - has a little bit of the sparkle-princess vibe like Gimmer; might be too tied to the Netflix show?
4 Likes

You have such great options so far!! Based on your updated list, I love …

Zosime [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_u]Glow[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]

I absolutely adore [name_f]Opal[/name_f], but I think you’re right that this might just not be the combo for it. I think [name_f]Opal[/name_f] totally deserves a spot on your list though!! Maybe even as a first … it sounds so gorgeous with your daughter’s name :heart_eyes:

Here are a few more ideas … I’m really liking the rhythm of two syllables (sorry about repeats, I didn’t read other replies!)

Zosime [name_f]Turquoise[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_u]Vega[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime Cosmos [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_f]Citrine[/name_f] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Zosime [name_m]Quartz[/name_m] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] (though I kind of like the flow better as Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] Quartz)
Zosime [name_u]Ever[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]

2 Likes

I may be a bit biased but I do adore Glow!! [name_f]Glimmer[/name_f] is gorgeous too

1 Like

@ellerbea - Thank you so much! Zosime Topaz Illyria is definitely the front-runner right now.
I’m so glad to hear that you love Opal! I definitely want this one on my list somewhere, I just have to figure out where it fits.
I think Turquoise and Ever are very pretty options! I want to love Citrine as a name, but it always reminds me of the word latrine when I say it out loud.

@Greyblue - I’m all over the place with Glow right now, haha. I love the look and sound of it, but it just feels like there’s something missing.

After sleeping on these options and getting some feedback over on my rankings thread, here are the updates to the list.

Still on the list:

• Zosime Topaz Illyria - still the frontrunner for great flow, lovely imagery, and fiery meaning.
  • Zosime Onyx Illyria - second place for powerful imagery and witchy vibes.
  • Zosime Aeon Illyria - third for cosmic vibes and evocative meaning; lowest in the community rankings, but I love it too much to let it go yet.

On thin ice:

• Zosime Glow Illyria - I’m a sucker for unusual word names, and I love the look and sound. It just feels like something is missing, a lack of depth and substance.

Removed:

• Zosime Thorn Illyria - I let my excitement about the sharp, powerful, badass feeling of this name run away with me, and was rightly reminded that this one doesn’t really fit the cosmic aesthetic.
  • Zosime Aster Illyria - this is one of those names that I love more in theory than in practice. I just can’t get past the “ass” sound.
  • Zosime Tempest Illyria - I had overlooked the fact that Tempest is a very politically charged name in the pagan community, due to the story of Tempest Smith. I think the work that has been done in her name is incredible, I just don’t feel comfortable using the name on my own child.
  • Zosime Nova Illyria - I figured out that my problem with Nova was that it is an expected name in this context, so it loses some of its wonder and originality.
  • Zosime Glimmer Illyria - I love the reference to She-Ra as a whole, but the particular character of Glimmer is not one of my favorites. I also looked up the meaning, and many of the definitions use the words “dim” or “weak” when describing the quality of the light. I know that’s kind of nitpicky, but it does undercut the feeling of power that I’m looking for.
  • Zosime Lore Illyria - I like the name Lore, but I think I would love it more in a different aesthetic, maybe something woodsy or fairytale in nature.
  • Zosime Stardust Illyria - this one still sparks my sense of whimsy, I just have other options that feel more usable.
  • Zosime Gleam Illyria - Gleam and Glow fill the same slot for me, and I prefer the sound of Glow between the two.
1 Like

If you’re still open to suggestions, would like to suggest [name_f]Electra[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Silver[/name_u], Sunflower, [name_f]Gravity[/name_f] and [name_u]Ray[/name_u].

[name_f]Electra[/name_f] is not really a word name but to me it does have strong ties with the words electricity, electron and electrical. Electricity is such a energic and fundamental concept and I think that fits well with the cosmic amd elemental theme.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a word and nature name. Besides that, it’s a colour. It fits well with the purple from your moodboard. To me, [name_f]Violet[/name_f] also feels celestial due to the association with ultra violet radiation.

[name_u]Silver[/name_u] could be fitting as well. I like that it’s an element.

Sunflower would be nice for you because it is botanical but it has also the clear link with the sun.

[name_f]Gravity[/name_f] is just a cool word that came to mind when I tried to think of something cosmic, celestial and elemental. I thought that you would maybe like to use it as a name.

[name_u]Ray[/name_u] is shorter and simpler but the strong imagery of light rays seems very fitting.

1 Like