Sundance Sibling

Starting IVF next month and as a long time baby name lover I can’t help but get my names ready!

[name_f]My[/name_f] two kids are [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I have picked [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] for a girl and we just picked our boy name today after months of debating.

[name_u]Sundance[/name_u] [name_u]Marlin[/name_u]
nickname [name_u]Sunny[/name_u]

Middle names will always be family names. We love the family connection in the middle spot even if it’s not always my favorite name. But what do you think of [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_f]Oona[/name_f], and [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] as siblings? [name_f]My[/name_f] mom said their names just get weirder as each kid is born but I disagree.

Opinions?

4 Likes

[name_u]Sundance[/name_u] sounds very cultural/sacred to me, and I wouldn’t feel right on using it unless I had connections to it through my family/community or culture.

Thats just my opinion. Maybe this applies differently to you.

Other ideas:
Sutherland
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]

6 Likes

love August and Maple! Oona’s pretty cool too! now, Sundance is definitely a cool looking name spelt out and sounds cool when said out loud, but i really just can’t imagine it on a person! idk why though! Sunny as a nickname is cute and something i can definitely see on someone as i know a girl with that nn. but i mean if you really love it, go for it

i think Sullivan nn Sully and Sunday nn Sunny would go well with your other kids names as well!

another suggestion would be,
Sunland (not sure if this is even a name but you can get Sunny as the nn and it sounds cool)

1 Like

[name_u]August[/name_u], [name_f]Oona[/name_f], & [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] would make a great sibset as would [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_f]Oona[/name_f], & [name_f]Maple[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] only concern is that [name_f]Maple[/name_f] may get called [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] as she grows up (if you still go with that).

I love [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] together, they feel familiar yet special together; but [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] feels very over-the-top to me, both on its own and in this sibset.
I do, however, think it could make a lovely middle name!
[name_u]Marlin[/name_u] or [name_m]Marlon[/name_m] [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] would be such a stunning fit with [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f]!

3 Likes

I really love [name_u]Sundance[/name_u], I think it’s such a fun name! :sunny:

It’s definitely more out there than [name_u]August[/name_u] but [name_f]Oona[/name_f] has more of a quirky feel, especially with the double O spelling, so I think it works in your set. Your mum didn’t phrase it very delicately, but there is definitely an increase in quirkiness and uncommonness with each child here. I know plenty of families where the names got progressively braver or more conventional, so I think that’s fine! I love an eclectic set and they’re linked by a naturey, boho charm.

[name_u]Sunny[/name_u] is sweet and cool and feels like a nice way to tone [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] down a bit if it ever feels like too much.

2 Likes

[name_u]Sundance[/name_u] is a very bold name but i feel nn [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] makes it more grounded

1 Like

Sending you some positive vibes for your IVF journey! It can be a long hard road!

[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] are an amazing pair ! [name_f]Maple[/name_f] and [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] feel fun and bold/ spunky.

[name_u]Marlin[/name_u] feels similarly styled to [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] - [name_u]Marlin[/name_u] [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] feels a little more of a match. I think for me having the bold middle name and a more familiar and vintage first feels more “wearable” through different ages and stages of life.

While I can appreciate [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] and all the nicknames it lends [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] , Sed ,Dan , [name_u]Danny[/name_u] , I am trying to think of how it appears in a resume or on an election ballot! It certainly is a memorable name but not something that I think non namers will not snicker over.

Ultimately if it’s a name you love , don’t hold back !

4 Likes

It is not my style. I would recommend Samson/Sampson, which means [name_u]Sun[/name_u] and has the sunny nn potential, and [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_f]Oona[/name_f] and [name_m]Samson[/name_m] [name_u]Marlin[/name_u] rock!

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

What your mom said is hilarious; that’s something my mom would say. [name_u]August[/name_u] & [name_f]Oona[/name_f] aren’t ‘weird’ at all! [name_f]Maple[/name_f] is absolutely adorable & would be perfect for a little sister. I think that [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] is really interesting for a brother. I have to admit that it’s a little out there, but I don’t think that it’s unusable if you love it. The only thing is that [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] looks a little feminine. I would think [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] would make a great little sister for your crew. I’m just not sure [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] is doable for a man.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] my rambling helps. :slight_smile:

Haha I have to say that I might agree with your mom but just because [name_u]August[/name_u] is much more common compared to the other names. [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] is a fun name and I feel matches pretty well with [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f]. Could it be a hard name to wear? Maybe… But I think [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] could fit a lot of personalities. I think of [name_m]Butch[/name_m] [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] and the [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] Kid. So that gives the name a bit of an outlaw vibe for me so it’s not all sunshine.

2 Likes

The Sun Dance Ceremony, from which the name Sundance is derived, is the most significant religious ceremony of the plains tribes of North America- for that reason I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable using it. I absolutely see why you would be drawn to this name though and it does sound nice with August and Oona.

8 Likes

Agree with previous posters about Sundance - what about Cassidy instead? It has the same 70s style as Rhiannon. It’s also quite sunny on a boy, like a flower child and a cowboy in one. I love August, Oona and Cassidy. Or August, Oona and Marlin :heart_eyes:

Nameberry on the name Cassidy:
A lean and lanky Irish cowboy name with great nickname potential to boot (Cass or Sid are both options). This is one of the great under-rated American names!

6 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the cultural connections that [name_u]Sundance[/name_u] had. After doing some research my husband and I agree it’s not usable for us.

Someone suggested [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] and I’m all about it right now. I think it’s so cute. It does have the 70s vibes of [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] but (I haven’t looked it up yet) it feels too popular. I knew a few people named [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] growing up in the 90s but maybe that’s old enough not to matter. Thanks everyone!

I think it matches!