Sure Signs You Are a Name Nerd

You may be a name nerd if . . .

You are already planning your 2010 SSA Names Release [name]Day[/name] party (to be celebrated with your name obsessed friends).

While flipping through your old daytimer, you find 20 plus lists of names and combos.

Whenever someone brings up one of your favorite names, you give them a detailed description of the history of its use.

You dress up as [name]Michael[/name] Shackleford for Halloween (as an homage).

You write a complete list of your favorite names in calligraphy, frame it, and put it in your bedroom.

You give people who are not expecting baby name books as gifts. (Always keep a few on hand!)

You are trying to bring back the name Etheldreda, and take every opportunity to convince people of its antique charm.

You say the Pledge of Allegiance (U.S.): “With liberty to name your kids anything you want, and justice for all.”

Anyone have any more?

You may be a name nerd if you are in your late 40’s, expecting grandchildren but cannot pass up any new name book that becomes available at the bookstore.

You may be a name nerd if you have named everyone of your goldfish in your aquarium even if some look so much alike you can’t tell them apart.

You may be a name nerd if you ask the parents of every new child or infant you run across what their child’s name is (and not just fn but mn(s) as well).

Those were great. I especially love the one about the goldfish.

HaHa! This is awesome!
I’ve definitley found random lists all over my house! :slight_smile:

…if you are not expecting and can send DH a random email at work that just says ‘[name]Saffron[/name]?’ and he knows what you’re talking about.

OMG! I do this [name]DAILY[/name] to my hubby! I’m so so glad I’m not the only one! I seriously squeaked from excitement when I read this! LOL! Yesterday I sent “[name]Adriana[/name]?” I haven’t heard back yet… He’s not always as amused as I am :slight_smile:

LOL i ask everyone what they named there kid and why and how thye got it LOL

OMG! I do this [name]DAILY[/name] to my hubby! I’m so so glad I’m not the only one! I seriously squeaked from excitement when I read this! LOL! Yesterday I sent “[name]Adriana[/name]?” I haven’t heard back yet… He’s not always as amused as I am :)[/quote]

I know what you mean–mine is practically NEVER as amused as I am, especially since we’re not talking about an actual baby! :slight_smile:

ha this is so brilliant and hilarious, so many of these are true :slight_smile:

you are a name nerd if you have namer’s remorse over your pets :wink:

OMG! I do this [name]DAILY[/name] to my hubby! I’m so so glad I’m not the only one! I seriously squeaked from excitement when I read this! LOL! Yesterday I sent “[name]Adriana[/name]?” I haven’t heard back yet… He’s not always as amused as I am :)[/quote]

I know what you mean–mine is practically NEVER as amused as I am, especially since we’re not talking about an actual baby! :)[/quote]

Yeah, he says “Can we NOT decide on something until we’re ACTUALLY pregnant?”

I know what you mean–mine is practically NEVER as amused as I am, especially since we’re not talking about an actual baby! :)[/quote]

I’m guilty of sending one name texts to my husband too. All though we’re trying to conceive I’ve been hounding him with names since forever.

I inquire fn and mn of all new babies I meet.
My name list can be found in numerous places around the house.
I’m sure I’ve made a few people uncomfortable by gawking at their name tags.
As teenager I even changed the name on a name tag I had to wear for work from [name]Lisa[/name] my real name to the more exotic (to me) [name]Deirdre[/name].

When you find yourself visiting other people’s genealogy trees to find a cool name, then you know you are a NAME NERD!

… when you dream (in your sleep) of names and/or nameberry.

You may be a name nerd if…

You keep pestering your younger brother to ask his teacher what him and his wife will be naming the baby they are expecting.

You randomly ask your friends about their favorite names (even if they aren’t name obsessed like yourself) and give them a kind of rude look when they say they like the names [name]Jayden[/name], or [name]Declan[/name], spelled Decklyn.

You look at people on the street and wonder what their names are. And, occasionally, you say to yourself or the people with you what you think their names could be.

Instead of texting people like an average high school student would be doing, you are instead typing down name combinations into your phone that pop into your head at random moments throughout the day.

When visiting your mother in the hospital, before going up to her hospital room, you ask the front desk if they have a list of birth announcements for the hospital. When she says no, it’s for privacy, you sigh and walk away.

All true stories of a self-proclaimed name nerd :slight_smile:

You are a name nerd, if the first thing you say when you find out a friend/family member/neighbour/the postman’s sister has had their baby, is “what did they call him/her?” instead of asking how mother & baby are doing!!!

I totally get that about asking non-namenerds their favorite names. “[name]Brayden[/name]. Eww. As in braidin’ hair and a donkey’s bray.” I have never actually said things like that though, just thought them.

A real-life anecdote:

You’re reading a baby name book (not one of [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s; don’t worry) and you say, “Hey. [name]Lois[/name] isn’t a form of [name]Louise[/name].”

I’m so guilty of these two, ESPICIALLY the second one! Lol, I play around with name combos on my phone almost every night before I go to bed. [name]Glad[/name] to see I’m not the only one :wink:

… When, 3 months after your daughter’s birth, you have a panic attack, realizing that the name you slaved so hard to “perfect” has now ruled out other beloved combos for as-yet-unconceived siblings. This sudden epiphany keeps you awake 4 nights in a row.

[name]Love[/name] this thread, BTW! I think we are all equally implicated :slight_smile:

I do this =) In my [name]Robert[/name] [name]Frost[/name] class, I am always thinking of new name combinations :wink: And I about dropped my friend when she said she wanted twin boys, named [name]Damen[/name] and [name]Damien[/name] =O