Sylvie vs Juliet?

I posted a couple days ago looking for nicknames for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but my husband decided he didn’t love [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] after all when I showed him the list (sigh, lol). I think our top two girls names now are [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. Wanted to see what you all thought/preferred between these two names!

For reference: I don’t like [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] for some reason, and we both strongly prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] over [name_f]Juliette[/name_f].

Other girl names we are considering: [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].
Names I love that he has vetoed: [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f].
Names he loves that I have vetoed: [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Sierra[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_f]Piper[/name_f], [name_f]Azalea[/name_f].

1 Like

Both are lovely choices! [name_f]My[/name_f] own favourite is [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] – I just love how classic, strong and at the same time dainty it feels, and the nicknames are really sweet (Jules and [name_f]Julie[/name_f] obviously, but I even know a [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] who goes by Lettie!)

From your list of other names, I also adore [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], she’s so sunny and bouncy! :sunny:

2 Likes

Shame about [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] she’s gorgeous!

All the names you’ve discussed are magical such beautiful choices :sparkles:

I love both! [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] & [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are on my list however I do slightly prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. I like the elegance, romance, grace and history behind the name. I think she’s beautiful. Such a gorgeous name with a summery feel. I love the nickname [name_m]Jules[/name_m] along with the meaning ‘youthful and sky father’ I like the connection to youth and nature. I also feel [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] has that vintage nickname trend attached which is similar to a lot of the names used nowadays. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] feels fresher not attached to any trend. However both are gorgeous as I say I have both names on my list.

2 Likes

Juliet!! [name_m]Poetic[/name_m] and lovely, but sharp and sleek too

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], it has more nicknames and I think it ages better than [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. but I love both

I just love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]!

Thank you!! Ohhh [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] is really cute. I’ve heard [name_m]Jet[/name_m] too, which I love! And for a baby, JuJu makes me smile :smiling_face:

Yes, love Phoebe!! I think I like the idea of [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] more than the actual name itself if that makes any sense, so that’s my hesitation, but it’s definitely still on the short list!

2 Likes

I know! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has the tendency to inexplicably veto perfectly lovely names with zero explanation, which drives me bonkers, but I guess he has to like the name too or something :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you so much for this explanation, I totally agree with you about [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]! [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] does fit in with vintage nickname names like [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Billie[/name_f], etc but it isn’t any more of a nickname than [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is, so I do like that it’s a complete whole name in its own right. I really do love both, it’s going to be a hard decision!

2 Likes

Ohhh I like that explanation, I agree that it’s both lovely/feminine yet grounded and sleek, which I love. It certainly isn’t overly flowery to me, it has gravity behind it which is something I definitely look for in a girl’s name!

1 Like

That’s a good point about the nicknames! I have never met a [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] so I’m not sure about the aging, but I do know it’s a common middle-aged women’s name in [name_f]France[/name_f], ha – so [name_m]French[/name_m] may think it’s overly dated and not youthful, which is interesting. Thanks for your input!!

2 Likes

Me too!! It’s been one of my top choices for the past few months after I read it in a book and fell in love with the name. I’m seeing it suggested here and Reddit more and more often lately, but have never actually met anyone named [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] in real life!

1 Like

Both are lovely but [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] would be my choice.

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] :grapes::fireworks: is romantic and beautiful! And I love the nickname potential as well!

1 Like

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is so lovely

1 Like

I prefer the romantic and beautiful [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] :clap::cherry_blossom::blossom:

I love both but [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] tips the balance with her gravitas and versatility with nn options for your daughter to customise - [name_m]Jules[/name_m], [name_m]Jet[/name_m], [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] etc. Is [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] an option for a middle name?

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is my favorite of your top 2! It’s a sweet but spunky name in my mind. It feels retro/vintage ad well. I had a friend in middle school with the name!

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] for me :blush:

Of your other options I love [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] :blush:

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] for me! [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is pretty but I’m not too much into the [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] family. Although I do prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as a first name (Sylvie [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] would be a beautiful combo!), I like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] more in general.

Good luck!

1 Like