Talk About Your Story

Yes!!! I didn’t know other people did this!

1 Like

I do it all the time! I just wrote a line that made me feel that way, and thought I’d ask here

3 Likes

Has anyone here ever just start writing, not thinking about it, and just letting your hands/brain guide you, then finally look at what you wrote and think “Whoa”?

1 Like

OMG, yes. I wrote this piece about my characters’ colleagues/friends finding out about their relationship after they disclosed it to HR and put up photos, and it was much longer and better after I quit thinking.

2 Likes

Yes! I wrote this one piece of a scene like that (because I got a sliver of an idea and I just wanted to let my subconscious do the work and see what happened), and everyone I’ve shown it to has just responded with “wow.” And I agree with them.

This is it, in case anyone’s curious:

“It’s okay to be a little broken, [name_m]Joel[/name_m].” [name_u]Aris[/name_u] said, assuring him. She felt that he deserved at least that.

“But, what if I’m really broken?” [name_m]Joel[/name_m] sighed, looking up from the floor and straight into her eyes. “What if I’m so broken that I don’t know how to get back to my original form? What if I’m shattered? What if I’m so broken that all the king’s horses and all the king’s men could never put me back together again?”

Silence. And a moment of it. Until [name_m]Joel[/name_m] scoffed.

“Is there even a king in the Outside?” He shook his head after asking the rhetorical question. He had thought for the past 12 years - his entire life - that he was a smart person. He was learning Latin, for [name_m]Christ[/name_m]’s sake! But, really, in the Outside, in the Real World, he knew nothing. He was lost, and he was broken, in the Real World. How was he ever supposed to be the person he was in [name_m]Canton[/name_m], outside of it?

1 Like

Okay I have a question for whoever can give me solid answer. One of my characters works in shifts in a factory, but I can’t find the hours that shifts like that start and end anywhere, so if someone could please let me know, that’d be greatly appreciated. The shift system would be the early shift, late shift, night shift type.

1 Like

Early: 6 AM - 3 PM
Late: 3 PM - 11 PM
[name_u]Night[/name_u]: 11 PM - 6 AM

How about that?

1 Like

I finally compiled a thing with info on my two MCs, and I’m surprised about how fleshed out they are.

1 Like

The pains of using names you love. [name_f]My[/name_f] character’s homophobic sister’s name is [name_f]Annette[/name_f], but I love the name [name_f]Annette[/name_f].

1 Like

Has anyone ever gave their side/background characters middle names/surnames/nicknames/first names/full names just because they can? [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it probably won’t ever see the light of day or be remembered, but you still do it because you want to?

2 Likes

Mine get called by their surnames at work, and [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] calls them that in their heads. Garrish, Winchester, and [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] the counselor (of all people) all have middle names though, lol.

1 Like

So, [name_f]Colleen[/name_f] now has a cat and a snake in addition to her three dogs.

I refer to the snake as ‘Unnamed’ in the bios I keep.

I also give them backstories and kids, lol. Winchester has a daughter, and his sister died in a car crash. Garrish has three kids, and he has a Mandarin tattoo that does not mean what he thinks it means.

That part was based on an old teacher.

1 Like

I do all of this for every single one of my characters, side, background, or main. Maybe I’m just really overachieving, but I love doing it. :joy:

1 Like

I actively try to avoid doing this because it would be a never ending process that I’m doing simply to procrastinate creating :joy:

2 Likes

One weird thing I do/have done…

I have a folder of photos on my phone that are just stock images of young girls that I think look like and have the spunk of my MC when she was younger. It’s called [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_m]Petras[/name_m] and sometimes I go on Pinterest to find more.

One of the images in the collage behind my user card is a [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] because she was wearing a fall-themed sweater and posing with apples. Idk if you can really see her though? She’s in the top left corner.

2 Likes

Ooh. Calling me out!

1 Like

I can see her a bit, but I love that! I just have private boards for all my stories on my Pinterest where I put everything pertaining to the story.

1 Like

This is her in full!

3 Likes