Telegraph names 2020!

Continuing the discussion from today’s blog…

Which are your favorite unusual British baby names?

What would you name a boy and girl from these lists?

Here, as promised, is the full data from the Telegraph birth announcements for the past year :point_down:

And here are some of the most intriguing names and sibsets of the year!

Boy names

[name_u]Rocco[/name_u] Urs [name_m]Ernst[/name_m]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u] Errington [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] Hannay
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Hereward[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] [name_m]Franco[/name_m] [name_m]Sacheverell[/name_m]
[name_m]Rollo[/name_m] [name_m]Lando[/name_m] Mihlolo
[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Lovelace[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]-[name_m]Alexandre[/name_m] [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] [name_m]Axl[/name_m]
[name_u]Freddie[/name_u] [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Ozanne[/name_m]
[name_m]Orlando[/name_m] Dare Fiteni
[name_u]Indiana[/name_u] Newsum
[name_u]Constantine[/name_u] [name_m]Evelio[/name_m] [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]
[name_m]Aiken[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_m]Kazuo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Basil[/name_u] [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Zebedee[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] [name_m]Bear[/name_m]
[name_m]Ludo[/name_m] [name_u]Ziggy[/name_u] Powys

Girl names

[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] [name_f]Hester[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elba[/name_f] [name_f]Pear[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Fflur[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Mai[/name_f] [name_u]Loveday[/name_u]
[name_f]Lupita[/name_f] [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] [name_f]Beata[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_m]Balfour[/name_m]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_u]Loveday[/name_u] [name_f]Annis[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] Delap
[name_u]Coco[/name_u] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lua[/name_f] Harkness
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] Adorian
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] Galbraith [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] Deere
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] [name_f]Merry[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ebba[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

Sibsets

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Maud[/name_f]
[name_m]Digby[/name_m] and [name_u]Rocco[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
[name_m]Orlando[/name_m] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] and [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Giacomo[/name_m] and [name_f]Giulia[/name_f]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_f]Zadie[/name_f]
[name_m]Jago[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Lupita[/name_f] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], [name_f]Clemency[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
Ephra, [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] and [name_m]Carew[/name_m]
[name_m]Hamish[/name_m], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_f]Prudence[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] and [name_u]Quentin[/name_u]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_f]Posy[/name_f] and [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Tiggy[/name_f]?)
[name_m]Zac[/name_m], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] and [name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Hebe[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f], [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
Charbel, Aimée and [name_f]Noura[/name_f]
[name_f]Electra[/name_f], [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] and [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_m]Ranieri[/name_m]

Twins

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Xenia[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] [name_f]Selena[/name_f] and [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] [name_u]Maria[/name_u] [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] and Chloé
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Le[/name_m] Feuvre and [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_m]Walter[/name_m] [name_m]Butler[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Williams[/name_m]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f] [name_f]Cicely[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Muse[/name_f]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Deverell[/name_m] and [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] [name_u]Hedley[/name_u] [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]

12 Likes

smells like my naming style… I would use almost all of these

5 Likes

You know, I thought of you a lot while putting this post together! Pretty please can you use [name_m]Sacheverell[/name_m], because I don’t dare :pray: :wink:

3 Likes

For the Telegraph [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] doesn’t seem that unusual anymore, there seems to have been Ottilies every two or three weeks for months! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I love it but DH isn’t convinced. He can’t believe Brits want to use [name_m]Otto[/name_m] either!

2 Likes

[name_m]Otto[/name_m] is surprisingly popular in the US too! It didn’t make the cut for names below the Top 500 in the US, although [name_m]Otis[/name_m] did.

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] was one of the most popular girls’ names of the year, yes! And I also spotted plenty of older siblings named [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]. It’s definitely in regular use outside of Telegraph readers too though – I’ve met a handful of little Ottilies over the past 5 years of toddler groups and softplay centres.

4 Likes

I think my favourite this year was [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Dusty[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I was swooning over that for days but I totally imagine 2024 prep school reception classes full of Ottilies

6 Likes

I loved that one too. I’m having a big [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] “[name_f]Tiggy[/name_f]” moment right now :green_heart:

5 Likes

I love [name_f]Elba[/name_f] [name_f]Pear[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]

4 Likes

Gosh, those are perfect.

2 Likes

Isn’t it fun?! It kind of sounds like a pudding (dessert) of some kind – but an adorable one!

3 Likes

I’ll share five combos from both genders; I love all of the names!
[name_f]Lupita[/name_f] [name_f]Fflur[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_f]Eirlys[/name_f] [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Giulia[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_f]Selena[/name_f] [name_m]Kelso[/name_m] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] [name_f]Zadie[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Augustus [name_u]Blaze[/name_u] :heart_eyes:
[name_m]Inigo[/name_m] [name_m]Haskell[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] :heart_eyes:
[name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] :heart_eyes:
[name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] [name_m]Evelio[/name_m] [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] :heart_eyes:
[name_u]Ziggy[/name_u] [name_m]Alberto[/name_m] Dare :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oo yay! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites:

2 Likes

Love:

Alicia, [name_f]Amalia[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Ebba[/name_f], [name_f]Eirlys[/name_f], [name_f]Elettra[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]India[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Rosetta[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_f]Zara[/name_f]

Ivy [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Eirlys[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

1 Like

I also really love alliteration like this. I think I saw another Telegraph baby named [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Patience[/name_f] once. :heart_eyes: eta: actually it was Patience Plum!!

3 Likes

I love alliteration too. I think this particular one is a little bit too alliterative for me – especially with the two -ee ending names together – but [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Patience[/name_f] is great :heart_eyes:

ETA: [name_f]Patience[/name_f] [name_f]Plum[/name_f]! [name_m]Even[/name_m] better :heart:

1 Like

Arthur, [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_m]Gregory[/name_m], [name_u]Harry[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Inigo[/name_m], [name_m]Jacobi[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_m]Mateo[/name_m], [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Olivier[/name_m], [name_u]Percy[/name_u], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

Elliott [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]

1 Like

Thanks for compiling this, @katinka! The differences between British and American styles are so fascinating to note. (I keep comparing these Cecilys and Florences to the K3nzlies, T1nsleys, and Bl@kelys born where I live!)

[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Lovelace[/name_u] is such a distinguished combo – sounds just like a Victorian gentlemen! That would have to be my favorite from the boys’ list, and my favorite girl combo…[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] Galbraith [name_u]Louise[/name_u], which is just so elegant and also vibes Victorian.

But how adorable is [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] [name_f]Merry[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]?! :relaxed:

7 Likes

To be fair, there aren’t many [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] Lovelaces wandering about where I am! This is a pretty rarified list. But they are always so fun to pore over :blush:

I do know a fair few little Cecilys and especially Florences though! But most little girls I meet are [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], etc.

3 Likes

Right, and that’s just what I mean. Our popular names are mostly the same – there are just as many little Olivers and [name_m]Williams[/name_m] running around here as there, as well as Avas, Olivias, etc. But looking at the uncommon choices, Brits seem more likely to dig up gems Americans still find dusty, while Americans just seem more likely to invent new combinations of affixes they like. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

So interesting! There’s a thesis in there somewhere :wink:

3 Likes