Tell Us About Your Story!

This is my current NaNoWriMo project :slight_smile:

Title: When [name_u]Rayne[/name_u] Rises
Demographic: [name_m]Young[/name_m] adults? It’s an MCU fanfiction, so whoever reads that I guess :upside_down_face:
Genre: Fanfiction, adventure, action
Medium: Wattpad short story

Names:

[name_f]Ambrosia[/name_f] [name_f]Lunette[/name_f] [name_u]Paxton[/name_u], hero name "Rayne"

Pale skin, ombre hair black to blue, pale blue eyes, water powers

[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Sherwood[/name_m], hero name "Spyte"

Fair skin, black hair, black eyes, shadow powers

[name_u]Conley[/name_u] [name_f]Tanwen[/name_f], hero name "Incendis"

[name_m]Black[/name_m] skin, dyed bright red hair, brown eyes, fire powers

[name_f]Sena[/name_f] [name_m]Bartlett[/name_m], hero name "Core"

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] skin, brown hair, green eyes, earth powers

[name_u]Dittany[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], hero name "Vitae"

[name_m]Black[/name_m] skin, black with green highlights hair, black eyes, nature (plants) powers

[name_f]Elaine[/name_f] [name_m]Cassander[/name_m], hero name "Solas"

White skin, white-blonde hair, grey eyes, light powers

[name_m]Viggo[/name_m] [name_u]Raiden[/name_u], hero name "Volt"

[name_m]Brown[/name_m] skin, brown hair, amber eyes, electricity powers

[name_m]Kessler[/name_m] [name_m]Beinon[/name_m], hero name "Oris"

[name_m]Brown[/name_m] skin, black hair, dark brown eyes, metal powers

[name_f]Araluen[/name_f]

Ghost-white skin, black hair, sea-green eyes
Ability to give others elemental powers
Runs Siren organization (all of the above are or were part of this)

And of course the Avengers :slight_smile:

Excerpt:

Opening Segment

She hugged her legs closer to her chest, just as another shiver swept over her body. Turning her face to the roiling grey clouds above, she closed her eyes. A small raindrop landed on her cheek, quickly followed by another. She kept her eyes closed and her face upturned, but her attention was focused on the way the rain felt as it ran down her pale skin. It felt like tears snaking their way down her face, unlike anything she had felt in a long time. When was the last time she had cried?

The answer came as a rushing train of thoughts, barreling into her mind before she could stop them. Flashing images blinked into existence then vanished. A forest caught in a sudden deluge. [name_f]Lightning[/name_f] arcing across a grey sky. A path opening through the foliage. Leaves dancing wildly as the wind whispered warnings in her ear. The woman appearing out of the darkness, beckoning to her with an outstretched hand. Her own hand, pale and shaking, reaching out to take it. The sudden pull, a silenced scream, and then the water. Water everywhere—all around her, filling her lungs…

With a gasp her eyes shot open, darting around like a cornered animal. She was still huddled in the alleyway, the jungle around her one of brick and stone. The water she could feel was just more rain, gently cascading from the clouds above. She sighed and rested her chin on her knee. She knew what she had to do, but the images still running through her mind cast stones at her resolve. Perhaps there was another way; maybe she should just go back.

“No,” she snarled, her words choked with heated passion. “I can never go back.” Letting that thought linger, she stood and pulled the black coat closer around her shoulders. She knew what she needed to do. The world was going to know her name, and it was time for an introduction.

Questions:

1. What is a superhero-esque name for a crime-fighting duo consisting of [name_u]Rayne[/name_u] and Spyte (water and darkness)? All I could come up with is Dark [name_u]Shadow[/name_u] or Deep Shadow…
  2. Should [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] be a shapeshifter? The original inspiration for her is a kelpie from myth, which had the ability to turn from a human into a water horse and vice versa. Should she be able to do the same?
1 Like

Thank you!! Yes, it is my NANOWRIMO project.

1 Like

I don’t know much about MCU admittedly, but I really liked that excerpt! I was trying to picture it like in a [name_u]Marvel[/name_u] movie, and it was cool :grin: And the names of course, [name_f]Ambrosia[/name_f] [name_f]Lunette[/name_f], wow! And Spyte is really cool for a shadow themed hero.
Deep [name_u]Shadow[/name_u] works better I think, like deep waters, only deep shadows…

2 Likes

Title: Right now it’s called Dream Story because pieces of it are based on a really intense dream I had, but even now at over 300 pages in I really have no clue what to title it.

Targeted Demographic: Adult. Some 18+ content
Genre: I’ve been calling it “Futuristic Pseudo-Utopian Urban Fantasy Romance”

Medium: Novel, It’s already over 300 pages and I’ve still got a decent amount of plot to go

Main Characters:

Summary

Serena Fatima Yiovan, 35, boring office job, Reluctant Chosen One archetype
Vashtarin, unknown age, Underworld demigod
Shon Fernandez Parker, 33, nice, normal civil engineer (or IS HE?!)

Other characters:
Nepthalsa, unknown age but older than Vashtarin, demigoddess of sea/tides
George and Luca, 30s, partners and friends of Shon
Rosa, 33, Shon’s sister and her partner Raul and 2 kids
Jonna, 30s, Serena’s friend
Mari, 58, one of Shon’s mothers
James, 60, Shon’s biological father
Sylvea, 65, and Khalil, 64, Serena’s parents.
Em, 17, Shon’s half-brother
Sersei, 50s, Elder Nepthalsan Sorceress, and her Cadre of Sorcerers, soothsayers, and other members of “the cause”

Synopsis:

Summary

Serena Yiovan lives a normal, albeit lackluster life on Level 7 of Theta Arch until one day, a fate beacon ignites her destiny as she stumbles into a hidden world and discovers a cryptic Prophecy that she is not sure she wants any part of.

CW: Adult themes, violence, mention of suicide, addiction, queer and polyamorous characters

Excerpt:

Summary

(from the Prologue, which begins in medias res)
“I knelt down and bowed my head, black silk robes pooling on the cool, hard ground beneath me. My hair had grown longer in these last few months, and I shivered as a few strands fell out from behind my ears and lightly brushed against my shoulders as I dropped into a deeper bow.

I laid my bare arms across my lap and stole a quick glance around. The vast, dome-shaped cavern enshrouded me, sculpted out of the earth, its ornate walls carved long ago with intricate detail, depicting prophecies, legends, scenes from the past. Figures were seated all around me, but out of immediate view. I could just make out their shadowy forms against the walls. A dim light shone down from the top of the dome, illuminating only my kneeling form and the pool of darkness in front of me.

The water looked like molasses, thick and cloying, barely reflecting any of the light from above. I knew exactly what was about to occur, but I couldn’t shut out the part of me that was terrified. My heart was racing, but I remained still. None of the figures seated around me made a sound, the cavern perfectly silent other than the sound of my breathing and the pounding of my heart."

Questions: How much, as a reader, do you need to understand about the antagonist’s motivation?

Summary

I don’t really make it clear why “the enemy” is doing what they’re doing, except for an increasing lust for power and influence. Is that sufficient or do I need to weave in more details?

4 Likes

Title: Days of Salt and Monsters

Demographic: Unsure, probably 13-18?

Content Warnings: Death

Genre: [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f]

Medium/Format : [name_u]Novel[/name_u]

Plot: Having not actually named a single character, I’ve not written a blurb yet. But basically the concept was that there’s a world plagued by monsters that can only be kept away by salt. At night, salt has to be sprinkled in every doorway and on each windowsill, and if you’re not going to be in a house, a salt circle around your tent or whatever.
When MC, a teen girl with missing parents and three younger siblings (or two and a twin, I don’t know), catches a rumour or two about the whereabouts of her father, she almost immediately believes them, though she’s a little more sceptical of the version where dear old dad is a wizard. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a bit. And being the oldest of the ? siblings, and therefore the oldest confirmed living member of the family, she decides to go and investigate, just like any kid with a death wish would do.
What ensues is basically a whole lot of monsters, salt and some weird kids who’re definitely not quite humans, but what does MC know about part-humans? Literally nothing – all she knows is humans and monsters. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the existence of wizards and witches (counted as humans in this context, like anything that looks like a human – a part-human either has monster traits such as scales or can shapeshift) were basically a mystery to her for a while.

Yeah, that might not make much sense.

2 Likes

So I totally failed nano because [name_u]November[/name_u] just was NOT my friend, but here’s what I’m working on now:

Lifeboat

Summary

A story about five teens who go to a specialized school for kids with depression and anxiety, where their main teacher helps them have more hope. The kids are all inspired by different aspects of me and my own mental health struggles. I’m excited about this one because I obviously connect so strongly to the characters, but I’m also putting this one on pause just for a bit because like I said, real life has been rough lately, and I could use some escapism. But I love my sad children.

Unnamed horror story

Summary

this one I came up with like 2 days ago, lol. Dead people start mysteriously resurrecting in a small town. I will say the monster is inspired by the one in season 3 of Stranger Things, but with a mushroom motif. Mushrooms symbolize rebirth, death, and a place between life and death. There’s also a murder mystery going on, and the inciting incident is the funeral of the victim. The details of the mushroom stuff are super icky, so I’ll leave it up to imagination. I’m aiming for a [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] vibe.

I’ve also been craving a found family story, and wanting to be very self indulgent with giving characters accents.

2 Likes