Tell Us About Your Story!

I didn’t see one like this yet, and maybe this thread is a dumb idea and will die out, but I wanted to try it. Basically, I love hearing all the names and ideas for everyone’s stories on here, but they’re spread out a bit, so maybe we could put them in the same place. Try something like this:

The title of your story, or just what you call it in your head if you don’t have one.

The demographic or age group you would like your story to target. (What is it rated for/are there content warnings?)

The genre/s you think your story falls under.

The medium you want to see it in. Is it a novel? Short story? Picture book? Comic? Movie? Episodic tv show with lot of seasons, or a mini-series?

(Of course!) the names of your characters, or just the main ones, if there are many. Brief description of your main characters, if you like!

Write a blurb for you story! What would the back cover (or inside flaps for hardcover, ooh la la) say about it? Probably not too much detail, just enough to pique the reader’s interest and curiosity!

If you like, put a short excerpt of your story here, to show your writing style. A short paragraph, or conversation, perhaps!

Is there anything I didn’t cover that you need to say, or something else that you feel others should know about it?

Lastly, if you are looking for advice (like on a character’s name, what would people like to see, is this too cliche, ect.) put a question or two for the readers here.

This is nothing too serious, just for helping others (and yourself, perhaps) get a clearer idea of your story! I know a lot of people have a number of ideas, but I suggest one story per post. So just post as many times as you like. Have fun!

Edit:
It’s occurred to me that maybe I should go first! Remember this is just an example, you don’t have to do it exactly like this.

Title: Hometown

Demographics/Ratings: Teens/ young teens is what I was thinking, since that is the age of the main characters. As for ratings/content warnings, there would be some nongraphic animal → human violence, questionable suicide (didn’t really die), and themes of depression and hopelessness.

Genre: There are supernatural elements, creepy, mystery, a bit of horror, and a ‘coming of age’ kind of vibe

Medium/format: Probably two or three short length books, if it ever turned into anything.

Characters: the main Hometown Kids: Eve, Hollis, Naomi, Beau, Arianna and Jonathon ‘Johnny’. Three secondary Fairview Punks: Grant ‘Goldey’, Lance and Flora.

Blurb: Fifteen years ago, in small and dying Hometown, a dark entity crawled up from deep in the earth. Since then, mysterious happenings have become the norm – random objects gather on the ceilings, voices from long past echo in the night, and the young children are beginning to exhibit unusual abilities. Most residents have fled over the years, or at least tried to. It wasn’t long before it was discovered that those born in Hometown since the arrival of Mr. Be-Goody can’t leave- not without paying the ultimate price. In response, the sister town of Fairview, the only other ones in the know, have taken it upon themselves to ‘protect’ Hometown, by keeping outsiders out and insiders in. Now, the children who remain make their lives out of what is left, with the knowledge that nothing can change. Until it did. (wow, I’m really bad at this XD)

Excerpt: (I don’t have one right now, sorry) Edit: wrote a quick one just for this, lol
He felt it like a bucket of freezing water being dumped over his head, his scalp tightening under his baseball cap, cold rushing down to his toes, and he was suddenly very aware of the silence. An unnatural silence, thick and permeating enough to fill his eardrums and seep into his pores. Hollis’s nerves jumped, and a needling whisper in a voice that didn’t sound like his own hollowed out the back of his skull to say something has gone wrong here, don’t you think? He turned to Flora, who now stood stock-still beside him.
“It feels…. weird, here,” she said, eyebrows scrunching, trying to find a word to describe the heavy, expectant drop in her chest.
“Yeah,” Hollis said quickly, a little breathlessly, bending to grip her wrist and draw her away after him. There was no protest. The hairs on her arm were standing on end. “Let’s leave.”
Be careful, he thought to himself, mindful of how thin and delicate her bones were. He controlled his footsteps back to the street, fighting the urge to start running. If you began to run, he knew, it was hard to stop. Once back on the crumbling pavement, he turned in a circle, dragging Flora with him. Where was everyone else? Still playing that stupid game of hide-and-seek.

Extras: An older story, that I’ve recently started to think about again. This actually started out much darker, with the characters in their older teens, since I based the feel on a number of songs. They have since gotten younger, and the story has more to do with navigating friend and family relationships between all the paranormal themes. It’s still dark, but much more hopeful now.

Questions: There is no ending yet, so in general, what kind of note do you think you would want a story like this to end on? I’m incapable of writing a ‘bad’ ending since the characters are kids, but do you like open endings, bittersweet endings, or more happy-fluffy endings?

20 Likes

How fun! I hope this catches on!

Title
I’ve called this story/series The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Seas from the beginning because the MC is a pirate and she has red hair, plus the alliteration is nice. I’m not married to the idea though, I just hate coming up with titles so I usually go with the first idea that sticks! Book two is currently called The Second [name_f]Star[/name_f].

Target demographic/age group
I like to say that I write for college students who love the pacing of YA books but can no longer believe a group of 15yos could topple any self-respecting dystopian government while dealing with twelve love triangles between them. [name_f]My[/name_f] target age is 16-22, probably girls, and this story is written with PG-13 rules in mind (I get one F-bomb!)

Genre
[name_f]My[/name_f] MC is 18-19 so it could fall under YA and I wouldn’t mind it. Other than that, fantasy.

Medium
I hope this will be a published novel someday! I’m currently planning for four books in the series, with the possibility of a fifth and a couple spin-offs.

Names of main characters
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_u]Keller[/name_u]- 18. She’s loosely inspired by [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m]. [name_m]Long[/name_m] red hair, brown eyes, short build, left-handed. She’s impulsive, brave, sarcastic, extroverted, adventurous, and clever. Her secret is that her aunt who raised her is the queen of a nearby kingdom and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] is the heir. She also possesses a rune (magic) that keeps her from dying.

Zaccai [name_u]Rafa[/name_u] “[name_m]Zac[/name_m]”- 19. [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s best friend. Built like a football player, tall, muscular, dark skin, and dreadlocks. He’s adventurous as well but is less impulsive than [name_f]Petra[/name_f], acting as her rock. He always needs something to fidget with, his favorite hobby being clockwork. His mom was a doctor so he’s the ship’s personal ER nurse.

Ksenia Medvedeva- 19. [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s other best friend. [name_u]Dancer[/name_u] build (former ballerina), shoulder-length blonde hair, ice blue eyes. She seems cold and intimidating but softens for people she cares about. [name_u]Loyal[/name_u], strong, speaks her mind, independent.

Emre [name_m]Otto[/name_m]- 17. He’s from [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s old kingdom and is the nephew of her former tutor. Joins [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s crew after running away from home. Short and scrawny, brown hair that gets curly as it grows, brown eyes. He’s kind, awkward, loyal, a people pleaser, inexperienced, but eager to learn.

Other important characters: [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], [name_m]Raoul[/name_m], Zoé, Azélie, [name_f]Mabyn[/name_f], [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], and [name_m]Hamish[/name_m]

Blurb
I’m not going to even try to make this into a cohesive paragraph so here are some bulleted points:

• At 13, crown-princess [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_u]Keller[/name_u] runs away from her abusive aunt, the queen, and is taken in by a crew of pirates. Almost six years later, she has put the down payment on a ship of her own, a haven for other teens who need to escape their lives.
  • A couple months before the loan on her ship is due, she discovers that the gold she collected and hid is gone. The crew hears about a quest: a treasure that is promised to anyone who can collect the de Lloris* gems.
  • The gems possess runes, ancient and raw forms of magic deemed dangerous and evil by a society that has transitioned to religion and superstition. [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s secret, along with her past as a royal family member, is that she has the mark of the rune of Life and cannot die.
  • As [name_f]Petra[/name_f] struggles to find the gems and the treasure to pay for her dream ship, she is forced to confront her past and her abilities or risk losing everything she’s worked for.

Extras
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] actually started off as a really minor character for another story set in this world but I quickly became fascinated with her and her story. Throughout the series, she will confront other issues related to the gems; I want each book to deal with a different rune. This first one will deal with the rune of Life, the second with the rune of [name_u]Power[/name_u], the third possibly with the rune of People, the fourth with the rune of Death, which leaves the rune of [name_u]Nature[/name_u] for the potential book 5. Right now, I plan to have four books and then the original series I’d been planning with [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as a side character, and then a fifth book because I don’t want [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s story to end with someone else’s, if that makes sense.

Questions
None at the moment!

11 Likes

This reminds me of a more palatable version of It and I like how that story ends nicely for the characters but with an opening for the world, if that makes sense!

1 Like

I haven’t seen It, but I think I understand! Kind of like it’s okay now, but might not be for others later?
If you’re interested, I added another section- because blurbs are hard and excerpts might do the job better, and give a better feel for the writing itself.
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] sounds like a really cool and developed character, especially since she started as a side character. And I’m curious about the runes and their magic system!

1 Like

Yeah! Like the kids got their own resolution but the monster would still come back in however many years or so to terrorize the town again. I haven’t seen It: Chapter 2.

The magic system is something that I explore more in the second book of this series when Petra meets the enchantress who gave her the rune and learns about why she has it. The magic is more like alchemy than the spells you might see in [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], everyone has the ability to do it but some people are better at it than others. When the runes are attached to living things, they give the bearers supernatural abilities that many people in the world are worried will lead to death and destruction, which is why [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s mark is a secret. At best, the rune would cause general unease but at worst, fundamentally religious or paranoid anti-magic groups might try to find ways to destroy it. Since magic is seen as taboo, there isn’t definitive knowledge surrounding its limits, similar to science.

The enchantress [name_f]Petra[/name_f] meets is one of the only experienced magic users left… although I’m toying with another story where someone challenges that!

5 Likes

This story sounds brilliant! Petra is a name I’ve loved for a long time. I can’t imagine a better use for it. When the novel is published, you’ll have to let me know. I would totally buy a copy!

5 Likes

Title: [name_f]My[/name_f] book is titled [name_f]October[/name_f]. Lame, I know, but it felt right.

Demographics: I would honestly say upper teens to adult. There’s a fair amount of implied sexual content and cursing.

Genre: Realistic and romance.

Medium: I’d love a movie, but I have such specific descriptions of the characters in my mind that it’s best if it stays a book.

Characters: [name_f]Aimee[/name_f], [name_f]Colleen[/name_f], [name_m]Jason[/name_m], [name_u]Dale[/name_u], [name_f]Vicky[/name_f], both Johns, [name_u]Scott[/name_u], and [name_f]Audrie[/name_f]. Honorable mention to poor [name_u]Chris[/name_u]. He didn’t deserve what I did to him.

Blurb: [name_f]My[/name_f] blurb is short and indescriptive, so I’ll go with bullet points.

*[name_f]Aimee[/name_f]’s engaged to [name_u]Chris[/name_u] who lives up north, and she decides she wants to get a job up there. When she asks him if it’s cool, he pretty much says that he doesn’t know if it’ll work out.
*She gets super angry and drunk, and gets with one of her friends- [name_f]Colleen[/name_f].
*She breaks up with [name_u]Chris[/name_u] and decides to date [name_f]Colleen[/name_f], but doesn’t tell anyone.

Basic gist. I have a couple subplots going, and I do a lot with [name_f]Aimee[/name_f]’s place of work, too.

Extras: I came up with the idea for this in [name_f]October[/name_f] 2018 (about the time they get together in the story) started working on this story in 2019. Restarted it about twenty-five times, too. I originally wrote it in [name_f]Colleen[/name_f]’s POV. A lot of the other characters weren’t fleshed out, and it bought into a lot of fanfic tropes. Pleased about how far I’ve come at this point.

Questions: None so far.

11 Likes

I don’t think it’s lame, I like the title [name_f]October[/name_f]! Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like a story where you could explore the characters and their relationships really intimately (and kind of a look at life like 'hey, it’s just another [name_f]October[/name_f] to me, but there are really interesting things going on in this person’s life!).

4 Likes

OMG, how are you so intuitive? I love all your posts in this forum; they’re so intelligent and helpful.

2 Likes

Another character I should probably mention is [name_m]Watson[/name_m], the doggie. He’s not pertinent to the plot, but [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] loves him.

1 Like

Title: I’m currently calling it [name_m]Canton[/name_m] (the name of the town that it takes place in), but I know for a fact that that won’t be the final title.

Targeted Demographic: I haven’t thought about this yet. I think it will probably fall in the [name_m]Young[/name_m] Adult bracket, but I just adore the idea of kids growing up with the series (this book is gonna be the first in a series, I didn’t mention that).

Genre(s): Fiction, [name_m]Young[/name_m] Adult, Dystopian, Coming of Age, & [name_f]Mystery[/name_f].

Medium: Definitely a novel, I’ve never questioned that.

Main characters (there are many many characters): [name_m]Seanan[/name_m] McCarthy, [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Moynihan, [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeo[/name_m], [name_u]Reese[/name_u] Bakker, & [name_u]Zion[/name_u] [name_m]Laurent[/name_m]. For extra fun, their middle names are (in the same order): [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_m]Zachary[/name_m], [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], & Courage.

Blurb: (I just made this up for this post and my friends said they think it’s great, so hopefully people here think so!)

Life in [name_m]Canton[/name_m] is normal… or, as normal as life under a dome can be.

Literally cut off from the rest of the world, those that live in [name_m]Canton[/name_m] live in peace.

When the Originals woke up in a strange place, locked under a dome, with the last thing they remember being from 2 weeks before, they didn’t plan to still be living in that same place 25 years later. Now, they and their next generation are living within the same walls that they woke up between all those years ago. All of their peaceful living is upset by the arrival of a stranger. One that stumbles into their town, their home, their peace. And that’s where everything starts to crumble.

Excerpt:
“It’s okay to be a little broken, [name_m]Joel[/name_m].” [name_u]Aris[/name_u] said, assuring him. She felt that he deserved at least that.
“But, what if I’m really broken?” [name_m]Joel[/name_m] sighed, looking up from the floor and straight into her eyes. “What if I’m so broken that I don’t know to get back to my original form? What if I’m shattered? What if I’m so broken that all the king’s horses and all the king’s men could never put me back together again?”
[name_f]Silence[/name_f]. And a moment of it. Until [name_m]Joel[/name_m] scoffed.
“Is there even a king in the Outside?” He shook his head after asking the rhetorical question. He had thought for the past 12 years - his entire life - that he was a smart person. He was learning Latin, for [name_m]Christ[/name_m]’s sake! But, really, in the Outside, in the Real World, he knew nothing. He was lost, and he was broken, in the Real World. How was he ever supposed to be the person he was in [name_m]Canton[/name_m], outside of it?

Extras: [name_m]Canton[/name_m] is gonna be the first book in a series. I have no idea how long the series will be; I’m just gonna write the story and whatever happens happens.

Questions: (None at the moment! :blush:)

6 Likes

I’m very interested in both @KJGlitter & @SparkleNinja18 ‘s stories. I honestly would pick those books up in a heartbeat! You’ll have to tell me if either of you ever publish them!

As far as the question about the ending @KJGlitter, I agree with [name_u]Abby[/name_u]. I was gonna say the same thing. It seems like it would fit the story from how you described it.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] Main Project (Started [name_u]November[/name_u] 2017)

Title : The “Heroes” of Dorefield Academy

Demographic: 13-18

Genre: [name_u]Adventure[/name_u]/Drama, but could possibly be considered sci-fi as well, due to everyone having superpowers

Medium : Right now, I’m aiming for it to be a book, but as a collection of short stories rather than one single long one. I’d love for it to be a TV show one day, though! I think it would work well with the episodic nature and I’ve already adapted a few of the segments into (not very good) YouTube videos.

Characters:

Felixander “[name_m]Felix[/name_m]” Dorefield : The principal’s mischievous but well-meaning son. A bit of a slacker and is frequently bullied. He has long red hair, teal eyes, and a long nose. He also has a port wine stain birthmark that goes all the way from his forehead to the end of his nose, and two prosthetic legs (maybe, I haven’t decided yet).

[name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_f]Goldina[/name_f]: A girl who has trouble controlling her fire powers. Tends to push everyone away because she’s afraid of hurting them. A bit grouchy, but does care deeply about her two brothers and her close group of friends. She is tall with blue eyes, and short spiky blonde hair

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] Appleton: [name_m]Vice[/name_m] principal and maternal figure to Felixander (or possibly his actual mother, I haven’t decided yet). Pretends to be serious, but is actually very playful and has a good sense of humor. White hair, green eyes, and she wears glasses.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u]: Kind and friendly girl who lost both her parents in a car accident. Also very curious and has a tendency to end up in places where she doesn’t belong. Has straight blonde hair, and wears an eyepatch. Her remaining eye is dark brown.

[name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]: He is a teacher at the Academy. Has superhuman strength as well as the ability to shapeshift into three different animals. He has long red hair, a beard, and is very muscular

Blurb

Having superpowers can be tough, but Dorefield Academy is here to help. As the very first Academy built to train students of all 15 power types, it has attracted a wide variety of students.

Among this year’s new arrivals are

[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] and [name_m]Gryffin[/name_m] a pair of identical twins who can teleport

[name_f]Samantha[/name_f], a girl who can’t seem to control her fire powers

Felixander, the principal’s mischievous son who can turn into a goat

Battyrat, who is literally a talking, flying rat.

In addition to learning, they will make friends, enemies and spend a lot of time exploring the Academy’s many, many secrets…

Note: I know this story sounds very cliché and overdone, but I’m really attached to it and can’t let go.

I’m not trying to cash in on any trends or anything; it just happens that this is the setting that my characters and plots worked best in.

Also, despite most of my characters having powers, my story is not really about superheroes or saving the world. It’s just about everyday human emotions and conflict, but with the twist that some of them are caused by the aforementioned powers.

[name_f]My[/name_f] Side Project (Started Late 2019? [name_u]Early[/name_u] 2020? IDK)

Title : Still deciding! I don’t even have a working title yet.

Demographic: Teenagers

Genre: Romance, Comedy, [name_u]Drama[/name_u]

Medium : [name_u]Novel[/name_u] or maybe movie

Main Character: [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_u]Howard[/name_u]. Has a white dad and a Japanese mom. She has her dad’s skin tone and hair, but her mom’s eyes and nose. [name_u]Auburn[/name_u] hair, brown eyes, round face, very tall and thin. Very smart but very shy. Likes to draw. Has a silly and sarcastic personality. Also may have mild autism (like me), but I’m still deciding whether to include this or not.

Blurb

Befriending the bad boy in town was all fun and games for [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], until they got into big trouble. Despite him being two years older, they had a lot in common. But one day, they go out on an adventure together that lasts a little too long. Despite the outing being purely platonic, [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]’s parents become suspicious and tell her to stay away from him. Things only escalate from there, and she soon finds herself afraid of any boy who is older than her.

Fast forward to eight years later. [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is slowly working past her fears. She had moved out of her old hometown, but is back again. She quickly gains a new boyfriend, only to find out that he is her old friend’s brother! Worse yet… she finds that she is now developing romantic feelings for her old friend!

She then decides to avoid him at all costs, a task that proves to be increasingly difficult.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] she keep up the act, or should she admit the truth and risk destroying her current relationship?

Sorry if any of this sounds really dumb or nonsensical. It’s way past midnight and I need to sleep. I’ll do excerpts some other time, maybe.

7 Likes

Your stories are so exciting guys!

•Title•: Sister of Truth (a common name for the entire series)

•Demographics/Ratings•: Teens or young teens (12+). TW: death of minor character, moral sufferings after the loss of a loved one

•Medium/format•: Three books, each one is going to be about 200-300 pages

•Genre•: Fantasy, detective

•Characters•: Yunna Yartseva (or Yarov in the English version) is the main character, on whose behalf the story is being told. She is kind and funny 13 y.o. sorceress always haunted by failure. But somehow it so happened that her deceased grandmother entrusted her to unravel a very complex and dangerous riddle.

Matvey Snezhin (Snegin) is Yunna’s classmate. Their families are at war, and therefore the children did not get along for a long time. He is an arrogant and impudent excellent student, and besides, a school bully with a large group of “mates”. Was forced to help Yunna during the joint punishment, after which they became friends. And not only :smirk:

Focus is Yunna’s familiar, a spirit that emerged from her visions. Looks like a small smooth-haired cat. Being very lazy and wise, he is also the most “mature” of the company

In fact, there are much more important characters, it is just impossible to list all of them

•Blurb•: “I pressed something and it broke.” Sound familiar? The sorceress Yunna Yartseva has a new failure every day. Her spells don’t work, things break or just disappear, and most importantly, no one in the whole world can understand her. However, everything changes when she suddenly finds her grandmother’s old diary and discovers there a letter addressed to her. Now Yunna has to uncover some old secrets, make new friends, save a couple of lives and, perhaps, put her one on risk…

Excerpt: Ohh… that’s going to be hard because I didn’t translate it yet and my English is very bad but… well, I can try to do it right now

A small ball of light swept low over the floor and disappeared before I moved on to the second part of the spell.

“You’re just inattentive, that’s the point” Rosa looked at me with displeasure over the book. “Come on, Yunna, try again. It’s not difficult at all. See?” She held out her hand in confirmation of her words and frowned.

The glyphs of fire and air carved into her bracelet blazed with a dazzling golden shine that only sorcerers can see. A ball, much larger and brighter than mine, danced over Rosa’s palm. It was so beautiful that I unwillingly gasped when my sister suddenly threw it up.

“Fly,” she ordered. Having made a circle over the table, the ball soared to the ceiling and scattered into a thousand sparks.

“Great!” I delighted.

Rosa just shrugged.

A large wall clock struck noon. Sunbeams filtered through the thin curtains, driving shadow and dusk away from even the most secluded corners of the classroom. Voices coming from the street once again reminded us that while everyone was walking at lunchtime, we were forced to sit locked up over textbooks, and I was the only person to blame.

The huge magic textbook was too difficult for me to understand, but I wasn’t about to give up. In the end, I should succeed! Rosa is only three years older, and these tasks are simple for her. Our parents and younger sisters are also talented sorcerers. Then what’s wrong with me?!

“Pull yourself together,” said Rosa. She had just got up to return the book to the shelf, and now she came up to me. “Just imagine two glyphs and then what you want to create”.

•Extras•: I came up with this story exactly a year ago. Since then, the name of the MC has gone through changes: Maya-> Yulya -> Yulianna -> Yuna -> Yunna. Also, the story was then called Scent of Moonlight and instead of sorcerers there were scentmages

5 Likes

Title: Currently a work in process. The Working title is [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of [name_m]Gold[/name_m]

Demographic: [name_m]Young[/name_m] Adult. There might end up being some minor swearing in it, and talk of death

Genre: [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f], young adult

Medium: A novel

Characters:
Cainon - 18-years-old. The long lost [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of the kingdom. Possesses the “golden magic”
Aldver - 19-years-old. A servant for the current corrupt king. Has the plague
Racha - 16-years-old. An thief on the streets trying to survive.

Blurb: (I’m making this up now, so hopefully it’s good)
The kingdom of Solinan is in ruins. Almost half of the population is living in the streets, facing consequences of the corrupt rule of the current king, Nathair.

Cainon doesn’t know of the people’s sorrows. Instead hidden far away in a small cottage, learning combat and government for reasons he doesn’t know. He’s unaware of the path set in front of him, and of the magic pulsing through his veins, just waiting to be let out.

Aldver has found a position working under the [name_m]King[/name_m] himself. As the [name_m]King[/name_m]’s footman, it’s in his best interest to keep to himself and not cause any trouble. After all, he would be ruined if anyone ever found out why he always wore a glove.

Racha is stuck on the streets, stealing from the rich for food, threatening them for money. They’re the ones who put her here, and they’re the ones who will have to pay for it.

But when Racha and Aldver both hear word of the [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of the kingdom, long forgotten in the last seventeen years, they rise to the task of finding him, and bringing back the true ruler of their kingdom.

Excerpt: I had no idea what to put, so here’s the first few paragraphs of the book (part of the prologue)

A pool of gold lay on the throne room’s floor, falling from the slit skin of the kingdom’s ruler. His crown had fallen, lines of black crossing the once shining surface. The king lay not far from the crown on the floor, the long rule before him suddenly ended as he rested for the final time.

Cries echoed through the halls of the palace, which were emptier now than they ever had been before. These were the cries of a child who had been left alone, without a clue of why. A man dressed entirely in black was following these cries, walking alone through the halls, the dagger in his hand stained with golden liquid. It dripped onto the floor as he walked, but he was not afraid of the path he was leaving. It was easy to tell where his next destination would be. He was stopped, however, when the cries were silenced. The only tool of navigation he’d had was gone, and he hadn’t the slightest clue why. He turned to look behind him, staring out at the otherwise empty corridor, before turning and continuing in the direction he had been going. He could not let this keep him from fulfilling his mission.

If you were in the right spot, listening close enough, there was the sound of quiet footsteps, of two hooded figures, running through the dark passages of the palace, never slowing. They barely spoke and, when they did, it involved hushed whispers of just a few words. They could not let their location be given away. They ran through the palace, knowing its layout much better than most people, feeling incredibly lucky that they had been able to avoid the people here tonight. In one of the figure’s arms was the source of the previously heard cries. Now fast asleep, the infant was not aware of where he was or where he was going, just that he was no longer alone.

Extra: I’ve not been working on this very long, and I"m only about 4 chapters in, but hopefully I’ll find time to write more :slight_smile:

Questions: I need a way for Racha and Aldver to find out about the [name_m]Prince[/name_m]. I was originally thinking of a prophecy, but I feel that those can be over used in [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you have ideas for what I should do?

7 Likes

Title: I’ve never named any of my concepts. I just call it “SN story” in my head :sweat_smile:
Demographic: [name_m]Young[/name_m] Adult
Content Warnings: (there’s a lot, oops) Abuse, “human” experimentation on youths, murder, alcohol use, homophobia/transphobia (not heavily), fantasy violence, reference to sex work
Genre(s): Dark [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f], YA
Medium: A trilogy is my dream goal
Character Names: I haven’t decided, but we can call MC1 “[name_u]Silver[/name_u]” and second MC “[name_u]Shadow[/name_u]”

Concept (bc it’s not fleshed out enough to have a blurb):

• There’s a society separated by “supernaturals” (SNs) who are lower class, and non-supernaturals (Pures) who are middle, high, and elite class.
  • Pures run society and government, so abuse, killings, and general misconduct against SNs are an everyday occurrence.
  • The hub for SNs is the Underground. Seedy areas that thrive at night with mobsters, petty criminals, social clubs, and lost souls.
  • A Pure experimenter works with a group of Pures who are part of a [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Society. They’re all elites who marry SN spouses under the guise that they are progressive and support SN equality.
  • He experiments on their offspring in order to find a “cure” for SNs. These SN spouses are none the wiser to this scheme when they first marry but are trapped once the abuse begins.
  • Many of these SN/Pure elite marriages function like this, but members of this [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Society have designed it so each member can fallback on another if suspicions arise. These radical Pures see themselves as paying the ultimate sacrifice for “pairing” with SNs so the experiments can be conducted.
  • Another one of these hybrid children ends up dead, and the wife, oblivious to the experiments that were going on, insists an investigation be done. Pure husband agrees, believing nothing will come of it.
  • This Pure man has remarried many times and has had many hybrid children with his SN wives. He’s also adopted SN children for the experiments, leading him to have many under his guardianship all at once. Some have escaped in the past and reached adulthood, though are strangers to each other.
  • Our protagonist, “[name_u]Silver[/name_u]” owes a lot of money, and gets himself hired as the P.I. for the dead girl’s case. He’s not an investigator but regards it as just another murder and figures he can lie and get big bucks bc the woman is an elite.
  • He discovers who her husband is, and being that he is one of the sons who escaped, becomes committed to solving the case to get revenge on his father.
  • Our second protagonist is “[name_u]Shadow[/name_u],” who, like [name_u]Silver[/name_u]," escaped the same household. She investigates crimes against SNs for a living. She also leads the resistance group that hopes to revolt and destroy the Anti-SN conspiracy. She has tabs on all the surviving children. She despises people like [name_u]Silver[/name_u] because he’s “an Underground lowlife and prostitute” and “just another Undergrounder that makes SNs look bad.”
  • Both get wrapped up in the case, chaos ensues, and a war between Pures and SNs ignites. [name_u]Shadow[/name_u] can no longer allow the mudering bigots to hide in broad daylight; [name_u]Silver[/name_u] only needs to ruin his Father. Both are willing to do whatever it takes but neither are prepared for what they may risk — and lose, in the process.

I’ll refrain from the excerpt from now, seeing as I put too much stuff above lol (I even removed details!)

Extras: The setting is before real-world modern technology. Think old European architecture, grand, dirty cities, carriages, etc. But with a magic twist. Supernaturals are born with unique abilities or magic. “[name_u]Silver[/name_u]” goes by “[name_u]Silver[/name_u] Devil” as his Underground name and has the ability to manipulate a person by saying exactly what they want to hear in the moment. Because of this, he has a keen insight on the emotion-driven actions of others/can vaguely predict the actions of others in highly emotional states. His ability is referred to as [name_u]Silver[/name_u]-Tongue or simply, [name_u]Silver[/name_u], as his tongue and eyes turn that color when he uses it. He often uses cigarette smoke to mask this if need be, as to not reveal himself.

I think I’ve said enough! Thanks for providing this outlet for me to word vomit in :joy: I could seriously type forever!

5 Likes

If anyone is curious, this is for the other series in Petra’s world (the original one that she spiraled from) that I’m working on!

Title
Working title is Tilted Crown.

Demographic
Ages 16-22, probably more appealing to girls

Genre
Fantasy or YA

Medium
Currently planning a trilogy but we’ll see if I get all my ideas in three books.

Main characters
Princess Matilda Rosalind Cordelia Sahar- 17, turns 18 during the story. Curly black hair, dark brown eyes, tall and thin. She’s stubborn, brave, has big dreams, determined, and is a perfectionist. Her uncle is the king of Anastoria. After the mysterious death of her father (the prince), her mom (a peasant) was cast from the castle so she was partly raised by her father’s old head guards, two married women. Her uncle is passing backwards laws and plunging the kingdom into unnecessary wars to pad his ego so Matilda writes anonymous essays for magazines condemning him until he finds out and tries to have her killed. She starts a plan to take the throne from him.

Briar Rhoswen- 18. Thick curly black hair, dark skin. She’s a peasant who has been Matilda’s friend for years. She’s practical, skeptical, loyal, not easily scared, and really good at archery. Her father and older brother were killed in the king’s wars, her second oldest brother is currently fighting, and when her third older brother is drafted, she supports Matilda’s plan to overthrow the king and end the wars.

Naiara __ Rubio- 19. Long black hair, tan skin, brown eyes. She’s a wanted murderer who Matilda recruits to help her cause, and Naiara agrees because she has nothing to lose. She has killed 7 people, 6 of whom were officers/public figures who were guilty of heinous crimes against women and girls but didn’t face legal punishment due to their positions. The seventh was to help a friend. She’s protective, stubborn, sharp-tongued, strong, romantic, and is bisexual. She’s been hiding from the law at a religious sanctuary for almost a year before Matilda finds her. She knows Petra, which is how she gets involved in the story.

Lumi Berglund- 18. Long white-blonde hair, pale skin, blue eyes. She’s a foreigner who got trapped in the kingdom and was forced to turn to alternative methods to make money and stay alive. Matilda helps her get away from a dangerous person and Lumi wants to help her. She seems naive but is resourceful, sweet, soft-hearted, and shy (think Luna Lovegood).

Eric Melia- 20. Curly brown hair, green eyes, conventionally attractive dude. When Naiara started killing, she hooked up with Eric to use as blackmail if she ever got caught. After he catches on and almost arrests her, they become friends. Eric became an officer to please his dad but hates that the system is corrupt. He eventually helps Naiara with her most recent kill and is fired on suspicions that they were a couple, kept out of prison by his father’s reputation. He tells Matilda where to find Naiara and joins the group.

Other important characters: Prince Adrian, Cordelia, King Emil, Heidi, Eloisa, Amalia, Isaac, Francisco, Zuleika, and Jack

Blurb

• Matilda is a princess, the niece of a king who has backwards ideas about equality and starts devastating wars on a whim. She opposes his ideas and through her writing, gains notice from members of the government. Threatened by her, King Emil hires someone to kill her. Matilda flees the city with her best friend, Briar.
  • Cordelia, Matilda’s mother who has been cast out by Emil, sends an officer named Jack to assist Matilda’s escape. Instead, Jack and Matilda conspire against the king.
  • With the help of a disgraced ex-officer (Eric), a wanted serial killer (Naiara), a naive foreigner (Lumi), her best friend (Briar), and other allies collected along the way, Matilda plans to take the throne.

Extras
Petra will appear in this story sometime in book 2. Naiara gets a cameo in Petra’s story at the beginning of book 2, although I’m not sure you could call it a cameo since I plan to publish Petra’s books first? Naiara’s cameo occurs before she goes into hiding, so about a year before Matilda’s story starts.

7 Likes

@anon80426808 In this thread, every doggie is pertinent and [name_m]Watson[/name_m] on a dog is adorable :heart: I hope you keep talking about [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] around here, it’s almost like she’s a real person and I enjoy hearing about her.

@carlene.denae [name_m]Canton[/name_m] sounds so cool! I loved your writing in the excerpt. Especially ‘[name_f]Silence[/name_f]. And a moment of it.’ I don’t know why, that little part just struck me [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know all the backstory? Like, how/why the Originals were put in the dome in the first place?
(And thank you! I’m think I’m getting a better feel for how my story can end.)

@Theodora_Phoenix First off, love the names of your characters! And I admit, usually I’m drawn to side characters more often than not, but Felixander (love that!) sounds really cool and interesting. I also really like having a bizarre and colorful world that is so distracting, and yet the focus keeps coming back to the raw human emotions that everyone can relate to. I wouldn’t dare call it cliché or overdone, I gobble that stuff right up!

@taisia1 Oh my gosh, everything about this sounds so adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I especially loved the blurb, especially the first part. Like, yeah, it’s about spells and magic, but how is it so relatable? And your writing being that good when you quickly translated it is amazing, truly. (It kind of gives off this …cozy-like vibe? I don’t know, I already want more) I’m especially curious about this [name_m]Matvey[/name_m] character…. :smirk:

@the.vintage.scribe This is honestly the type of fantasy that I’m always craving and can never get enough of, no joke. It seems like there could be this thin line of suspense all the way through, like Aldver is always so close to his secret being discovered, and Racha is too close to being caught :thinking:… and someone get Cainon and tell him what’s happening!! Haha, it’s exciting. And the [name_u]Golden[/name_u] [name_u]Magic[/name_u], it coming from the king’s throat? A ++.
(I don’t know if this is any good or not, but if Racha has connections to some kind of street network, like a thieves organization or something, she could get underground info about a long lost prince from that? It probably wouldn’t be all of the story she needed, but if Aldver is hearing his own rumors in the castle, they could each get a piece of the puzzle so to speak, and work together to figure it all out.)

@the_common_fool I love [name_u]Silver[/name_u] already! His powers sound so cool, understated compared to other SNs maybe, but he knows how to do a lot with them. I’m also interested in the old style setting here, this world sounds beautiful with all it’s flaws. And a bad guy you love to hate! The relationships between individual Pures and SNs (or SNs with other SNs, since it sounds like they can have vastly different experiences) sounds fascinating here, especially with an all out war brewing. (and please, type forever! I want to read it! :heart: :heart:)

@SparkleNinja18 I was going to ask where [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as a side character came from! This world is really fleshed out, isn’t it? I’m curious, since you started this story first, is [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]’s story involved with elements from [name_f]Petra[/name_f]’s storyline, like the runes and magic, or is it more focused on political intrigue? (Also the combination [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is beautiful :heart_eyes:)

8 Likes

Thank you so much! That is so genius and helpful!!!

Yeah, every heir to the throne possesses the [name_u]Golden[/name_u] [name_u]Magic[/name_u], has gold eyes, and gold blood. It comes back in the next chapter when Cainon starts bleeding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll have to share more if I ever document all the details all in one place! Your comments were so encouraging! :smile:

2 Likes