The 2-entry Teaser Game!

I just came up with the idea for this game! It is very similar to the original teaser game, except that for each word, the next poster posts two different short excerpts from different parts in a story (or two different stories) with that word in them. I think it would be cool to see how the word is used in slightly different ways in different scenarios!

For example:

P1: First word: out
P2: ~“[name_m]Just[/name_m] keep breathing. We’ll figure out what to do about your ankle.”
~ “I’m here,” she said, bending down and spreading out her supplies.
Next word: carry

Let’s give it a try, see how it goes!

First word: much

Calliope shot her a venomous look, and [name_f]Abriana[/name_f] looked back with just as much poison in her eyes.

Over the next week, [name_f]Cressa[/name_f] became much closer with us as well as the the [name_u]Four[/name_u] Stars.

next word:
back

1 Like

She pulled back the blanket [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] had placed on her and, upon seeing him looking over from the kitchen, furrowed her brow.

He struggled to keep his body still for [name_f]Amara[/name_f] but managed to grasp the corner of the afghan between his fingertips. He laid it across her body, tucking the edge around her back.

Next word: right

“Dad,”, she asked, it didn’t feel right, “can I have a phone?”

Left and right students of all ages were running around her and not taking notice of her.

next: take

Perry blinked, frozen in place. “Wh-what?” she stammered, taken aback. I gave [name_u]Perry[/name_u] a meaningful look and she tensed her jaw.

Zed motioned for [name_u]River[/name_u] to take the seat next to him.

next word: next

“Next time,” [name_m]Jack[/name_m] clenched his fists so hard his knuckles turned white. “Next time there will be no mercy.”

The current tore at her as she clung to the log for dear life.

Next word: clung

They hold me in a trance almost, and I cling on to every word he speaks.

Pushing myself up from the ground, I wipe off the leaves and dust clinging to my clothes.

next: dust

1 Like

Amy’s father often joked about how life on Trenfail [name_u]Island[/name_u] was ‘dusty’, with the way nothing ever seemed to change. Mainlanders were a strange sight, their electronics far more developed than anything on the island would ever be.

[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] coughed as [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] dropped the book in front of her, a grin spreading over his face. She assumed it had been forgotten in the attic for a long time, for the book’s cover appeared grey, but when she sacrificed a T-shirt to wipe away the dust, it was really a beautiful, fiery orange.

Next Word: change

I may have been confused, but my feelings about being bought hadn’t changed. I was not about to give my life, much less my freedom to anyone—and especially not a noble.

“I am Lady Amaya Umbriel,” she began, her voice calm and silvery. “I have come here today looking to bring one of you back with me. I can promise that whoever I choose, their life will be greatly changed for the better.”

next word: calm

The other was a tall and muscular guy, with light brown skin and dark hair. He had chocolaty eyes, and a calm grin.

I took a deep breath. Her calm, monotonous manner was boring into my brain. Who did [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_u]Shaw[/name_u] think she was? “What, are you part of the FBI?” I asked, almost jokingly.

next: joke

[name_m]Barron[/name_m] stared at his apprentice for a long moment, long enough to make [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] squirm in his seat. “That,” [name_m]Barron[/name_m] said, “was the single worst joke I’ve heard in my life. And that’s coming from the man who married Malcolm.”
“Hey!” [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] protested.

“You think this is all a joke, don’t you?” [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. His amber eyes bore into mine. “Well, its not. [name_u]Solace[/name_u] is gonna make the whole damn world fall to it’s knees, and we’re the only ones who might be able to stop him.”

Next word: flight

After everyone took their seats, Ludwig’s girlfriend and Feliks’ older sister, [name_f]Krysia[/name_f], looked around the plane, and then spoke to [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m], who had [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] in his lap. “You know what would make this flight more enjoyable, [name_m]Lui[/name_m]? If the both of us were sitting together.”

Ivan’s little sister, Natalia—who was acting as stewardess—came out with meals for everybody on the plane. She also gave the group each a pair of headphones so they could watch an in-flight movie; since the [name_m]Vargas[/name_m] family owned the plane, the headphones were free.

Next word: enjoy

1 Like

Grant’s wife shot her a dirty look, which [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] returned. She was acting like a reckless five-year-old, and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying it. This cannot possibly end well.

So, while they waited for their littlest sister and parents to come home, [name_u]Artie[/name_u] and [name_f]Dot[/name_f] sat by the fire place, sipping apple juice, watching the letter burn until only ashes were left. It didn’t take that long, actually. They just sat their, enjoying each other’s company, relishing in the fact they were both alive.

next: ash

1: The room was thick with smoke, so much so that it was nearly impossible to breathe. Flames licked along the walls, turning the curtains to ash. The hardwood floor was bending with the heat. The structural beams holding up the ceiling were beginning to crack.

2: A girl, maybe fourteen or fifteen, swept through the flame-covered doorway toward the family. She was unharmed. Her beautifully-made gold dress was flecked with ashes. Her red hair flowed down her back, and her ice-blue eyes glared at the couple. The eyes were the coldest thing in the inferno of a room. “I warned you,” the girl hissed. “I warned you that I’d come back and destroy you for abandoning me.”

next word: flame

1 Like
  1. [name_u]Kai[/name_u] had never really bothered to ask [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] what his deal with fire spells was, but he resolved to do so now that he could see the sheer power the boy held within him. There he stood, surrounded by still-growing flames, and while his eyes were wide with fear, [name_u]Kai[/name_u] was convinced that [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] wasn’t as scared of the fire itself as the girls thought.

2. You could almost see the flames in Ariadne’s eyes, pure anger crashing through the room like some kind of invisible tsunami. [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] shared looks, neither really willing to risk [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] losing her cool on them rather than the very replaceable chairs and desks littered around the room.

Next: invisible

1 Like

“Hello, students,” Ms. Blaylock said, running a hand over her skirt, smoothing out the invisible wrinkles

I stepped out onto it, staring at the room below. Everyone had to be at least thirty feet below me, and bathed in darkness, no one could see me. I had already turned off and pocketed my phone. I was invisible.

Next: darkness/dark

1 Like

When we started our journey to the next town, I laid back in the cart and looked at the sky, the dark clouds threatening rain. In the early afternoon, it began to drizzle, which turned into a shower, then swelled to a torrential downpour.

When he held his hand up for me to twirl, I nearly collided with a lady’s towering wig and voluminous skirts. [name_u]An[/name_u] elderly ambassador glared darkly at me when I stepped on his pristine leather dancing slipper, and I spun back to face my partner, but my eyes fell on [name_u]Linden[/name_u], who was standing at the opposite side of the room. His arms were folded and he was watching [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] intently, almost angrily. I frowned but forced myself to look away.

next word: threaten/ing

The beach was deserted except for [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and whoever the strange girl walking at the water’s edge was, but [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] could see something the other girl had yet to notice – a wave higher than any other so far beginning to build in the distance. A threatening sight, absolutely, and yet the girl remained oblivious.

The four other students shared looks, with [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u], strangely enough, being the only one to suggest a plan. But [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] wasn’t listening, because she was already flinging herself into empty space.
A reckless endeavour, to be sure, and yet perfectly thought through. As threatening an ultimatum they were rejecting, a choice that would lead [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] to wage war on the entire school, she wouldn’t want to risk the death of a powerful teenaged seer.

Next: oblivious

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though Mum was a criminal she wanted us to get a good education, She had given up hope on [name_u]Jax[/name_u] and [name_m]Alec[/name_m] because they had been expelled when they were only 14. She was oblivious to the fact that [name_u]Beverly[/name_u] skipped school and that I have had more detentions than school lunches. Mum used to be dead clever but when she married dad she changed. She was also oblivious to the fact that I sort of vandalised the school like three times and got suspended twice but I pretended I was sick for the whole week (oblivious is in this twice so i guess that counts)

next word: clever

“Phoebe is very clever…” I heard Miss [name_u]Azariah[/name_u] say. “I’m afraid we might have to move her to a special boarding school for kids like her. You can accept or deny. It’s just that…”. “NO!” I heard someone scream. Then everything went black, but it was just [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] smashing my head on the floor, trying to hide me from… uhm, actually I don’t know! I heard [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] come in. She was just as clever as me, only that I was smarter. “What. Are. You. Doing!” I whisper-screamed. It was loud enough for [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] and [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] to hear, but no one else. I lifted my head up to see blood on the floor where my nose was. I felt my nose, and there was blood.

Next word: whisper/whispered