The All About Nameberry Quick Question Thread

Okay, I’m not sure if this is a good idea- [name_f]Katinka[/name_f]/other moderators, if this makes it harder for you or just less effective, then tell me and we can just get rid of this. But I was thinking, sometimes I have questions about the platform that don’t feel worth making a whole topic about, but I still want answers to.
this can work like the waterfall quick question thread (shameless self promotion :wink:) where each question can get multiple answers from different people and people don’t have to answer a question to ask one of their own, not a one-to-one-to-one sort of thing.

So, first question: [name_m]Can[/name_m] moderators see PMs?

4 Likes

No, moderators cannot. Admins ([name_f]Pam[/name_f], me and the tech team) can read PMs, but we have never yet had cause to. The reason Discourse has this function is so that admins can take action against spammers and harmful content which may be circulated via PM to avoid detection.

4 Likes

No, not unless you are part of the chat. If, for example, you were to PM me and mention @dogs_books, [name_u]Kit[/name_u] would not get a notification.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t know. [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to test it out and let me know!

1 Like

@ferix08

You can access the tutorial on your phone. You just @ mention discobot and then write "start advanced tutorial. You can do this either in a PM or in any topic. The tutorial and your responses will only be visible to you.

Example:

@discobot start advanced tutorial

Topics get locked for several reasons:

• The user has locked it or requested that it be locked;

• Long topics are automatically locked at 10000 replies;

• In rare cases, moderators may lock topics that are getting derailed or dissolving into personal attacks;

• Moderators may close topics if they are very old topics that have been bumped up and people are responding without realising this, e.g. offering opinions on a name for a child born 6 years ago!

2 Likes

What is the limit, @anon68906791?

Topics are limited to 10k replies to reduce server load, so I imagine a limit on replies in a PM thread is for the same reason.

2 Likes

Much lower! It’s probably also intended to keep the main boards lively, so that interesting conversations are had on the public forum for all to participate in, rather than hidden away in PMs.

2 Likes

How do you lock topics now? I haven’t been able to figure out how to do it since we switched platforms. [name_m]Can[/name_m] regular users still lock their topics or do we have to ask a mod?

Sorry @futuremama, I saw this yesterday and made a mental note to reply but forgot to write it down!

Only admins, mods and TL4 users can lock topics now, I believe. You can PM any mod and ask them to do this for you, or flag and ask for a lock.

I don’t think there’s a way I can reinstate locking for all users, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I always use #baby-names for generic name-related questions.

2 Likes

No

1 Like

What makes someone a “Senior Member”, “[name_m]Junior[/name_m] Member”, “Regular”, “Leader”, etc etc etc?

Is it just a matter of time? Like, the fact I joined years ago?

@penelope_lynson — [name_f]My[/name_f] title means nothing! :scream::cry::sob:

What did it used to mean?
And how do we get trust powers to move threads about and use the force?

1 Like

Thanks for the link, both times. It was very helpful!

1 Like

Thank you, @anon68906791, spot on!

@tp_b If you want to change your user title to reflect your [name_u]Trust[/name_u] Level, you can do so in your Preferences, under Account > Title.

2 Likes

Hmn… maybe not. I don’t see an option under Account for Title.

Ah, OK, possibly it’s another TL3+ perk in that case! “Senior Member” sounds pretty important though :wink:

2 Likes

It does! I’ll wear it gladly.

1 Like

I would assume so.

1 Like

I noticed a few people recently asking about creating a poll. Is it worth pining? Or having a link / article for reference?