The All About Nameberry Quick Question Thread

Pinned! :+1:

1 Like

Who writes the descriptions on the name database of the names? How often are they updated?

That varies hugely.

New name entries are added by current members of staff.

Old entries may have been added by members of staff, or may have been brought directly over from Pam and Linda’s original baby name books, which is what the original database was based on.

In general, the entries are not updated systematically as a whole (there are over 77k names here!) but any new high-profile births or associations are added when they happen.

We are also continually working to amend entries which users have flagged up to us as being either outdated/potentially offensive, or factually inaccurate. These are the relevant topics for doing that :point_down:

2 Likes

Team green or team yellow means the parents haven’t chosen to find out the sex.

So they’re either looking for girl and boy suggestions, or unisex suggestions.

2 Likes

Is it possible to have multiple topic drafts?

1 Like

I don’t know about new topic drafts. It’s definitely possible to have several draft replies saved, although occasionally it doesn’t let me :confused:

Sorry I can’t be more sure on this one!

2 Likes

Dunno if this has been asked but can you change your username? I have no idea.

Our SSO system will automatically reset any username changes after the next log in, unfortunately. I have tried to change a few myself but it doesn’t stick.

2 Likes

Is there a way to view all the lists another user has?

I don’t think so, I’m afraid.

1 Like

is it intentional that we can no longer see edit history of a comment when we click on the orange pencil?

2 Likes

Yes, sometimes edits are made to remove identifying information or potentially offensive content, so it serves no purpose to have these publicly visible.

6 Likes

Are views on profiles limited to one per user, or is it each time the profile is viewed?

2 Likes

I think each view counts separately. But obviously viewing your own profile doesn’t count!

2 Likes

Does it count as political if I put up an image of the bill I wrote for debate class?

1 Like

I WANT TO SEEEEEE

I would like your post but I’m out of likes :sob:

1 Like

It probably does, tbh. Sorry! I’m very curious too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it’s to encourage selective liking, so that people don’t just like every single post but actually weigh up what the really good/valuable/insightful contributions are, so that these can then be displayed in various ways, e.g. through the orange/red topic reply count numbers, as “Most Liked” on people’s profiles, or via the badge system.

This is just how Discourse is set up. I can tweak a lot of settings (and I have raised the like limits for everyone) but I can’t choose what type of posts can and can’t be counted towards the like limits.

Quick question: How do I change the visible trust level badge on my UC when I reach the next trust level? I just became a regular and the badge on my UC still says “member”