The All About Nameberry Quick Question Thread

This is very unimportant but why are some usernames light gray and some are darker gray/black. [name_f]Tia[/name_f]! :blush:

I might be wrong, but I think new users are light grey!

4 Likes

hi! i was wondering, when people get banned on here for fake information (especially faking pregnancy’s, etc.) how do moderators catch that + how do you make sure the same person doesn’t make a new account? :blush:

Generally, there are a few warning signs that are used to identify a fake account, some of which are:

• [name_m]Brand[/name_m] new account. Obviously, this isn’t always indicative of a fake, but is usually a good first warning sign.
  • Rare pregnancies - such as quadruplet girls. Not unheard of, but again, very rare.
  • Comment hostility. Some accounts come across quite hostile in their replies to their pregnancy posts, which is often a red flag.
  • Sometimes, it’s quite obvious just from the tone of a post whether it was written by an actual expectant parent. I guess after years of banning, the mods just sort of have a sense for it lol.

As for stopping them coming back, this does happen sometimes. I believe (I could be wrong) you can do IP bans, however, this doesn’t prevent people coming back on a VPN. Usually, it’s pretty obvious when someone’s a repeat offender. A few years ago (2018 or 2019 irrc) we had a user that did this on about five different accounts over a long period of time. Each time they came back, the time between them making the account and getting banned got shorter. I suppose it’s just pattern recognition at that point, haha :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

ah makes sense (five accounts though, that’s just :sweat_smile:), thank you for answering stella!

hi! i was just wondering where swearing fell on the “is it allowed on nameberry” scale?

It depends on the word but generally, if you wouldn’t say it in front of your grandma, please avoid saying it here :slight_smile: Remember that members aged 13+ post here.

2 Likes

This made me laugh my grandma let us swear as much as we wanted as kids :joy:

I usually don’t swear so I didn’t ask but I was wondering about the swearing situation before too and if it’s possible can we maybe get some more clarification on it? I feel like it’s a topic where your views around whats ok and whats not depend a lot on where you live. Openly swearing is generally very accepted in the culture I live with swear words rarely getting censored on daytime Tv etc, I also wouldn’t have an issue with swearing around teens but the way this is worded I guess there is an issue :sweat_smile:

I can’t really give you an exhaustive list of words that are and aren’t OK, it does depend to some extent on the context and, as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u], I have noticed words being flagged by US users that really wouldn’t be seen as swearing here.

Anything commonly referred to as “the X word” (the F word, the C word, etc.) are of course included, but there are others that we would review on a case-by-case basis.

I have been asked about words like badass and kickass before and in my view those are fine, but to give another example damn seems to have a stronger feel in the US than here, most likely for religious reasons, so if flagged we would probably ask for that to be edited.

I hope that rather unsatisfying answer makes sense!

4 Likes

Thanks! I understand that this is a hard to navigate topic for the mods too but your answer cleared it up a little for me :grin: (I didn’t even know that damn was considered a swear word :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

How do you get names to show up as pink and blue in posts?

If you type in a name correctly (with capital letters and spellings that’re on nameberry), then the name will show up in pink (girl), blue (boy), or green (uni) after a few minutes. There might be a way to format it to where you can make it show up as a specific color, but I’ve never felt the need to do that. The time that the colors show up also varies. I’ve seen them show up in 2-3 minutes to 15 minutes. The colors also won’t show up if there are parentheses, quotes, exclamation points, and some other punctuation marks attached to them. Periods and commas are fine, but most other ones won’t work. Like, Mary will show up, but Mary! or ‘Mary’ won’t. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

the codes, if you wanted to do it yourself :blush:
(for example, for when you edit a post, and the links go away!)

2 Likes

The name still linked with the exclamation point (but not the quotes).

1 Like

i got kicked out of the lounge a while ago, but have since been promoted to an aficionado. however, i still haven’t been able to access the lounge. when will i be able to see the lounge again?

I’ll send you a PM with details of what you need to do to reach TL3.

Aficionado is a different thing, that means you have visited 100 days consecutively but not necessarily that you have met all the requirements for TL3.

1 Like

hi! sorry if my recent comments have been annoying, but I’ve come across a slight issue!

I’m unable to make polls for some reason! this is what my options look like:

I can’t scroll past that little piece of “blur spoiler”

is there anything I can do to fix this issue? or is there anyone else experiencing this problem, maybe?

thank you in advance for any help! :smiling_face:

1 Like

I have the same issue when I’m on mobile! I was able to fix it by first closing my keyboard and then opening the menue option.

1 Like

I accidentally liked a post in the hot takes thread and I can’t unlike it!! Help!

I’m afraid if it’s after the unlike time limit (10 mins I believe) then there’s nothing I can do, sorry! A few posts have just been deleted from there though, so you may find that the problem has resolved itself.

1 Like