The joy and struggle of naming baby no. 7

Dear all,

Hoping that you and your loved ones are safe in this times of pandemic and other crisis, it feels wrong to say that we’re “struggling” to name a baby but here we are.

Our delivery surprise has two female names lined up if we have a daughter, but my mind wonders and gets lost in trying to pinpoint a direction for a son.

The thing is, I feel we’ve used all the names we loved for our six beautiful children: [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f], and at least on the boy department we only have the leftovers that we’ve always liked but never committed to.

This is what we have:

Roman - the name we almost used three times but went on a different direction. What has stopped us in the past is the connection with [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Polanski (ugh!) but he hasn’t been on the news recently and could have other nicer, more decent associations.

Isaac - I think of this name as lovely and timeless, it is also a family name. It is very popular at the moment but that’s not a deal breaker.

Simon- one I love and think as peaceful and sweet, but my DH is not as excited about it.

Theo- a name we both feel a little guilty for liking. We wouldn’t want it to be short for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], which has caused some eyebrows to rise when we thought about it for our older sons.

Oliver- Safe and sweet, not completely enamoured but could be swayed.

Victor - DH likes it better than I do, because it reminds me of [name_m]Victor[/name_m] Frankenstein and because it reminds HIM of [name_m]Victor[/name_m] Frankenstein.

Your input, suggestions and comments will be very valuable to us. If possible, we want to be as thrilled by this baby’s name as we were with number one, two and so on! But maybe this is a less than ideal consequence being the baby of the family. What do you think?

2 Likes

Isaac is my #1 boy’s name, so that’s my favorite of yours. I think it’s so sweet and handsome. I think all of your choices would fit well into the sibset, though, which I’d describe as upbeat, cheerful classics. [name_f]My[/name_f] second favorite would be [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

1 Like

I like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Roman[/name_m].

Maybe:
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Flanagan[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Hayes[/name_u]

1 Like

Love the name [name_m]Roman[/name_m]!!

Other suggestions:
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_u]Jace[/name_u]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_m]Lio[/name_m]
[name_m]Neco[/name_m]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Dillon[/name_u]
[name_u]Keelan[/name_u]
[name_u]Asher[/name_u]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u]

1 Like

Ah naming is so hard let alone naming baby no.7 but I think you’ve got a solid list!

My favourites are…
[name_m]Roman[/name_m] ~ it’s a strong name and I honestly understand your reservations about [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Polanski but for me it’s not enough of an association to prevent you from using the name. I think [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is great. I also think works great with his siblings names.

Isaac ~ Another fab choice it’s handsome and has a lovely outdoorsy vibe. I really like the meaning of [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] ‘laughter’ it’s a lovely handsome name. Again works brilliantly with sibling names.

Simon ~ I think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] is really endearing choice and has a lovely vintage flair. I think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] is a surprising choice and sounds brilliant with their siblings.

These three are great!

Suggestions…
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]
[name_m]Hamish[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Dawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions, friends!

I’m finding [name_m]Hector[/name_m], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] quite intriguing and will bring them up on our weekly friendly name debate with the family :wink:

I also adore [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_u]Micah[/name_u] and [name_u]Miles[/name_u], however, I believe that [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] are a tad bit matchy, as are [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. [name_u]Micah[/name_u] and [name_u]Miles[/name_u] are fine and handsome, but if possible we’re trying not to repeat initials.

2 Likes

What about [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Issac[/name_m]? That’s a very strong name!! I love [name_m]Roman[/name_m] and have seen it popular lately but not too over-used. So I think any associations dont matter as people are still using it! Our friends used it so it’s off the table for us but I really like it.

I love how [name_m]Issac[/name_m] is a family name so I would put that in the middle spot.

2 Likes

Also on #7 and all names seem stale to me! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Roman[/name_m] for you!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]!

1 Like

First off, I honestly can’t imagine having 7 kids, let alone trying to name them all and I am a name junkie. :open_mouth:

That said, I don’t think you should let this actor keep you from using [name_m]Roman[/name_m]. He may be unsavory, but I wouldn’t have even thought of him at all except that you mentioned it. (And even then I had to look him up.) :woman_shrugging:t5:

Here are a few more that might fit with your merry band:
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]/Sampson
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaias[/name_m]/Isaiah
[name_m]Colin[/name_m]
[name_m]Garrett[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Preston[/name_m]
[name_u]Declan[/name_u]
[name_m]Aldric[/name_m]/Alaric
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] for you! They fit in beautifully with your children’s names!

2 Likes

What wonderful names you have! Former and future.

I admire you for aiming for different initials for all and [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] all make fine choices!

I too have take guilty pleasure in [name_u]Theo[/name_u] but would probably only use it if you liked the full name.

I don’t love [name_m]Victor[/name_m], but I do love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]!

Other names that come to mind for you:

Otto
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Bodie[/name_m]
[name_u]Cade[/name_u]
[name_u]Regan[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]

1 Like

I could get behind [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]! Thank you. We were also thinking of [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]. Unsure of what middle name we would use for the majority of the other candidates :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Love, love, love [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]!
I’ve also been a long time admirer of [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but since our first is [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], I don’t think we’ll use other “-as” names.

My vote goes to [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]!

1 Like

Yay! I tried my best to avoid matchy names, but that one slipped through.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I too think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is lovely. I made a new list of ideas, thanks to all these suggestions, to run down by the better half.

1 Like

No problem at all. It is a wonderful name :kissing_heart:

I love Roman and Isaac for you! And I love @Rachelhaydenberk’s suggestion of Roman Isaac. Roman David would be amazing as well!
What about Rowan?
Simon and Theo are very handsome names. However, Simon shares Sylvie’s S and Theo is visually similar to Leon. If you want to avoid matching names, I’m not sure if Simon and Theo are perfect for the first name spot. But they would make awesome middle names!
Oliver is a magnificent name. I love it but I don’t think it stands out and shines like your oldest children’s names.
Victor would be a very unexpected choice! I love the meaning of this name.
Your list is extraordinary! I love your naming style :heart_eyes: Your children’s have beautiful names.

3 Likes

Thank you kindly, [name_f]Estrela[/name_f].
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] and another name I really pushed for but has been discarded ([name_u]Milo[/name_u]) are the exceptions to my own made up rules. But it does make sense to let go. [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is our second youngest, so we would get two S names back to back :confused:
I do like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], but my DH has his own made up rule of “no unisex names”. That rule has cost me a lot!

1 Like