Thoughts on Asa?

I’m really liking the name [name_u]Asa[/name_u] for a boy! It’s got great biblical connections and is very soft yet strong sounding! I love the combo [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]! But sadly, this name is being ruined by the people who name their little girls boys names! (Although I do like certain boys name for girls, just not this one in particular) do you guys think [name_u]Asa[/name_u] sounds like/ is considered a girls name? I’ve only known one person named [name_u]Asa[/name_u] who was a guy, but I feel like I only see girls named [name_u]Asa[/name_u] in tv and social media!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u] on a boy. [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is a great combo.

1 Like

Asa is generally a boys name, I really like it. I think it could be used on a girl but traditionally it’s a boys name so I don’t think it’s too feminine. [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] was also a boys name, but now the girls have claimed that one haha. I don’t like [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], it’s a little too biblical for me. Maybe [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Matan[/name_m] or [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_u]Reed[/name_u]?

I like biblical because I’m a [name_u]Christian[/name_u]. Also [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is an honor name after my brother. I do love [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_u]Reed[/name_u]! Very handsome!

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] is definitely very masculine to me, and I think the actor [name_u]Asa[/name_u] Butterfield (who is male) has raised the profile of the name recently, so most people will see it as a boys name. [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is a nice combination.

4 Likes

Asa is so handsome! Very sweet and soft. I’ve only ever seen the name used on boys (though I don’t personally think it’s an issue if there were also girls named it). I agree with pp, it reminds me of [name_u]Asa[/name_u] Butterfield.
[name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is a very nice combo!

1 Like

I’m really glad to hear it! I don’t really like to use gender neutral names on boys. I want my boys to have names that are strong and masculine. So that’s why [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is kind of out of my comfort zone.

I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u]! It has a soft strength that I love with boy names. [name_f]My[/name_f] only association is [name_u]Asa[/name_u] Butterfield, who is male, and is becoming more well-known I believe!

I was set on this name for my son I called him [name_u]Asa[/name_u] for my entire pregnancy my family liked it too…A day before he was born a boy named [name_u]Asa[/name_u] made the news, he was the top story for a few days and several reporters were mispronouncing it Ass-ah,
So I changed it. [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is a main character on the soap Days of our lives. I have never heard this name anywhere else since.

I didn’t even think about that!

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] is very masculine to me, and I’ve never seen it used for a girl before. I really like [name_u]Asa[/name_u] in general, though I’m personally not loving it with [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] because the ‘s’ sounds kind of run into each other. :confused:

1 Like

Asa is great for a boy! It feels cool and interesting

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Asa[/name_u]! To me if I saw [name_u]Asa[/name_u] I’d think it was unisex leaning to masculine. I really like [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] I think you should use it.

I actually still really like [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] for boys too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too!

Åsa technically is an Icelandic girls’ name, but has nothing to do with the Biblical [name_u]Asa[/name_u], and they’re pronounced totally different?

I have [name_u]Asa[/name_u] on my list—I love him! [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is really handsome too. I wouldn’t care about what girls may be named [name_u]Asa[/name_u]—I get the impression that [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is way more popular for boys than girls, and I’ve gotten to the point where I ignore those who try to use Biblical boys’ names for girls just because they end in A. I’ve heard it with [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Judah[/name_m], [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], [name_u]Micah[/name_u], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_u]Asa[/name_u]… There’s talk, sure, but it never seems to become a real THING where they overtake the popularity for boys. I think [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is great, and I wouldn’t let that keep you from loving [name_u]Asa[/name_u], and one day using it?

Good luck!

1 Like

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] is a handsome name! I’m one of those people who gave her little girl a boy’s name. Her name is [name_u]Evan[/name_u] [name_u]Reese[/name_u]. Here’s the thing —there will be people who’ll give you grief (like the woman who scrunched up her face, then asked me if I was expecting a boy) then there will be people who ‘get it’ and tell you how much they love your child’s name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] kinda know that. If you love that name then you should have it!

These days, there almost are no rules. If you feel drawn to [name_u]Asa[/name_u] for your little guy, there’s a reason for that. You know he will “become” his name. When I looked at [name_u]Asa[/name_u], I thought “Wow what a noble name. Handsome and strong.” Those are the words that came to mind. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Evan[/name_u] absolutely became her name. [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is SO EVAN. Lol. Her name came to me when I was 15 weeks pregnant. I met a charming little boy named, [name_u]Evan[/name_u], who took to me in a way that lit up my heart. I had just learned that I was carrying a girl, and when I heard his name it just… clicked. She was [name_u]Evan[/name_u] from that moment on. [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is a name I was thinking of as a first name before I met little [name_u]Evan[/name_u], and I loved the combination when I said them together out loud.

1 Like

How on God’s green earth could anyone look at the name “[name_u]Asa[/name_u]” and see “Ass-ah”? Some folks are just, I don’t know how to put this… they don’t “get it”?

Then, as journalists, it was important for them to know how to pronounce the name. But that’s a different conversation.

1 Like

See, I’m with you on deciding that I don’t care about what others think about what I’ve chosen. You like his name? Well thank you! You don’t like his name? Sorry to hear it! :woman_shrugging:t2:

I shared up there that when I named my daughter, Evan, one woman (20 years or so my senior) scrunched up her face and said, “Were you expecting a boy??” At the time, I was pretty annoyed. People either understand or they don’t. It’s true that we can’t always be on the same wavelength as everyone else, but that makes the moments we are all the more enjoyable!

My own mother went through this when she named me, Audra during a time when names were very simple and traditional. In fact, all of these years later, my name STILL doesn’t make the lists! Lol. I did not like it while I was growing up, and I can’t tell you how many times I have to correct people who call me “Audrey”.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to say I absolutely love your daughter’s name!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like