Thoughts on Fern! (And Atticus as a sibling)

I really love the name [name_f]Fern[/name_f]! I love the literary connection with charlotte’s web! It’s so sweet and southern and I love it! However I’m not sure how other people feel about it! I also really love the name [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] for a boy because of to kill a mockingbird, but I worry if I were to have a [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and an [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] that I would be stuck with a “literary theme.” So what do you think of [name_f]Fern[/name_f]? And do you think [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] are too literary to be siblings?

2 Likes

Fern & [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] are absolutely amazing together!

1 Like

Fern is beautiful! I love the literary connection to charlotte’s web, and it also connects to where the red ferns grow! Very pretty.
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is definitely a literary name to me, whereas [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is more able to stand on its own. The sibset is too sweet to pass up, and I think you should embrace the literary! It’s not something super obvious but a nice way to connect the names.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re too literary to be siblings at all! I do think that they’re slightly different styles of names.

[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] to me is more classic while [name_f]Fern[/name_f] reads more trendy/boho even though you’re right it does have a literary connection!

Definitely usable if you love them (when/if you ever need them) and if you don’t care about stylistic flow I think they’re both great names. Personally I’d likely use [name_f]Fern[/name_f] as a middle name/nickname of some sort.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :smile:

Oh, I absolutely love [name_f]Fern[/name_f]!! It’s probably the sweetest name I can think of! It makes me smile everytime I hear it.
I think [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] sound perfect together. Almost like they were made for eachother! I especially like the shared literary theme, it’d be a cute, subtle connection between the two!

2 Likes

I love the literary theme myself so that is not off-putting to me. I really adore [name_f]Fern[/name_f]. I think this is a wonderful sibset.

Fern and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] do feel very literary together but if you’re inspired by literature, I don’t think that it’s a bad thing for your children’s names to reflect that. Neither name is a favorite of mine but they are solid choices that pair well together.

Fern and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] are beautiful together!

I love [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and I think it’s perfect with [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]!

The only [name_f]Fern[/name_f] I know of a male, short for [name_m]Fernando[/name_m].

But I wouldn’t let that stop you, if you love it!

I happen to love symmetry between sibling names, so I think it’s a great idea to have your baby names inspired by literature!

I think they are both well-known character names but [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] has gotten more and more popular so maybe that will help. I dont hear [name_f]Fern[/name_f] used as much but it’s a nature name as well as a literary one.

I would also wonder about being locked into a theme if you did have both a boy and a girl with these names and then had a third child. I would think there would be questions like what’s the next literary name? But there are so many great names in literature and I actually think it’s pretty cool that you’re using names that have inspired you. I say go for it. But the theme might stick or some may pick up on it. But I dont think it’s a bad thing!

1 Like

Fern isn’t my personal taste but there’s nothing wrong with it as a name and it’s rather cute. I think it sounds lovely with [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] too and the literary connection is not too strong.

Fern is lovely and sounds adorable with [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]!

Atticus is great. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] sounds like a NN but does work. I immediately think of the plant, not the character, when I here [name_f]Fern[/name_f].

I absolutely love [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]! I also have both names on my list: [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u].

I think [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] are great together! I don’t really associate [name_f]Fern[/name_f] with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]’s [name_m]Web[/name_m] so I don’t think they create a literary theme.

1 Like

I think they work fine together. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is a favorite of mine

I don’t know if it’s just my associations but I feel like [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is really plain next to [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]!

I’d probably prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f] as an alternative.

They sound beautiful together. I LOVE [name_f]Fern[/name_f]!

I love them together and I really like [name_f]Fern[/name_f], although I find that some people absolutely despise it and I’m not sure why :woman_shrugging:t3: [name_m]Even[/name_m] though the literary association is there, I don’t think that [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is as connected with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]’s [name_m]Web[/name_m] like [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is with To Kill A Mockingbird so you wouldn’t be locking yourself into a corner.

1 Like