Thoughts on Isadora?

See the results of this poll: Isadora: Yea or Nay?

Respondents: 150 (This poll is closed)

• Yea: 113 (75%)
  • Nay: 15 (10%)
  • Maybe: 22 (15%)

I may not use the name [name]Isadora[/name] but it would definitely be a GP name, ie a guilty pleasure name.

I love [name]Isadora[/name] she is a free spirit, rather beautiful but in an individual way not the Hollywood stereotype. She is tall and statuesque with long flowing brown hair, finely boned with lovely hands. She has charisma and when she walks into the room people stop to admire her.

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]

Siblings for [name]Isadora[/name]?

[name]Arabella[/name], and [name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Remington[/name] and [name]Fleming[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] and [name]Carlisle[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name] and [name]Torquil[/name]

Is the connection with the tragic dancer [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] too strong?

I can’t really say that I know of her history although I have heard of her.

I like [name]Isadora[/name] so much!
I think it’s feminine and kind of mysterious and exotic. I can see a wee girl called [name]Izzy[/name] and then moving on to [name]Isadora[/name] as she gets older. I would picture [name]Isadora[/name] with dark hair, definitely.
I do initially think of [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] but that is only b/c she is the only [name]Isadora[/name] I’ve ever heard of. I have no idea what she looked like so that doesn’t influence the name at all to me. Also, her death isn’t something I think of when I hear the name.

I really, really like it. It’s lovely.

Best wishes!
[name]Tara[/name]

ps-
I would probably use a simpler middle name with [name]Isadora[/name] but my brain hurts right now and I cannot think of any :slight_smile:

Thank you, [name]Rollo[/name] and [name]Tara[/name], I love your descriptions of [name]Isadora[/name]!
Another question: Which nickname do you like best? [name]Isa[/name], [name]Izzy[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Dora[/name], or something else?

The nn of [name]Ora[/name] is perfect because it sounds just like ‘aura’ and that is what [name]Isadora[/name] is all about.

I do like [name]Isa[/name] but there is a character on [name]Dora[/name] the [name]Explorer[/name] named [name]Isa[/name] and that is what I think of…she’s a lizard, I think. I don’t care for [name]Dora[/name] as ann b/c I think she’ll get [name]Dora[/name] the [name]Explorer[/name] teasing.

My vote is for [name]Izzy[/name]. Although, [name]Sadie[/name] is super-cute and works nicely,
too!

:slight_smile:
[name]Tara[/name]

[name]Rollo[/name], I didn’t think of [name]Ora[/name]!

[name]Tara[/name], [name]Dora[/name] isn’t my favorite, either, but I don’t mind it. I think [name]Sadie[/name] works, but [name]Izzy[/name] is probably the most natural nickname.

Thanks!

I love [name]Isadora[/name]. It is so feminine and romantic, and I would totally use it myself. I personally like the association with [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name]; yes she may have been “tragic,” but all great artists are to some degree.

I prefer the nickname [name]Isa[/name]; I don’t like [name]Dora[/name], [name]Izzy[/name] reminds me of [name]Isabella[/name]. And while [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Ora[/name] might “make sense”, they just seem like a bit of a stretch.

Middle names I like are [name]Leigh[/name], [name]Wren[/name], [name]Spring[/name] or [name]Snow[/name]. I would definitely go one syllable, and I would go with something slightly quirkier to go with the very melodious FN.

Yea or nay? YEA!
Would you use the name [name]Isadora[/name]? YES!
[name]Do[/name] you know an [name]Isadora[/name]? NO.
If not, can you picture it on a person? YES!
What characteristics would an [name]Isadora[/name] have? Spirited, beautiful, creative, strong.
What would an [name]Isadora[/name] look like? I don’t have a specific idea.
Which middle names would you pair with [name]Isadora[/name]? [name]Jane[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Lucille[/name], [name]Faye[/name], [name]Maryse[/name].
Siblings for [name]Isadora[/name]? [name]Camille[/name], [name]Desmond[/name].
Is the connection with the tragic dancer [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] too strong? I don’t think so. Although I do strongly associate the name with the dancer/choreographer and know her death was a tragic car accident, her revolutionary contribution to dance and dramatic style is more prominent and very positive.
[name]Favorite[/name] nn for [name]Isadora[/name]? [name]Isa[/name] definitely!

I was just editing my previous post on your thread about girl’s names in different categories. I added [name]Isadora[/name] under Greek names because I had forgotten to add it and I love it and then I then saw this thread so had to post a reply!
I think it is a beautiful, elegant, feminine name but I love the Greek origin as it somehow makes it seem very grounded too.
I picture an [name]Isadora[/name] as someone tall, willowy, artistic and very beautiful. I think I am influenced by [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] somewhat as she is the only other [name]Isadora[/name] I have met/ heard of.
I would be tempted to use a more simple middle name such as:
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name]/ [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
or maybe two mns:
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]

Siblings:
I can see [name]Isadora[/name] with equally unusual/ arty/ slightly frill names and also with other Greek names.
eg. [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Callia[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Calliope[/name], [name]Delphia[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Benedict[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Rafael[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Fabian[/name]

Oh, I prefer [name]Dora[/name] as a nn.

Yea or nay?
Yea.
Would you use the name [name]Isadora[/name]?
I would.
[name]Do[/name] you know an [name]Isadora[/name]?
Bj”rk has a daughter that name, I think. Personally, no.
If so, do they like their name?
[name]Hope[/name] so.
If not, can you picture it on a person?
I can, it’s a great name, it has both fragile and strong feeling to it.
What characteristics would an [name]Isadora[/name] have?
I imagine: strong yet sweet, decisive, witty, kinda dreamer
What would an [name]Isadora[/name] look like?
I don’t know.
Which middle names would you pair with [name]Isadora[/name]?
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Faye[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Louise[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Alistair[/name], [name]Barnaby[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Myles[/name], [name]Reuben[/name], [name]Stellan[/name]
Is the connection with the tragic dancer [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] too strong?
Not really, there are certain connotations you wouldn’t like to a lot of names. It’s not strong enough to ruin this name for me. :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Isadora[/name]! :slight_smile:

Would you use the name [name]Isadora[/name]? Yes! :slight_smile:
[name]Do[/name] you know an [name]Isadora[/name]? Nope…
If so, do they like their name? N/A
If not, can you picture it on a person? Yes, I can…I picture [name]Isadora[/name] on a spunky little girl and an elegant woman.
What characteristics would an [name]Isadora[/name] have? Spunkiness, creativity, elegance…
What would an [name]Isadora[/name] look like? For some reason, I imagine an [name]Isadora[/name] to have blonde hair, but if I met a little [name]Isadora[/name], she would become the new face of the name to me. :slight_smile:
Which middle names would you pair with [name]Isadora[/name]?

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]May[/name]/[name]Mae[/name]

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

Is the connection with the tragic dancer [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] too strong? For me, no, the connection isn’t too strong.

Take care! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Isadora[/name]! On my list I have it paired with:

” [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Bianca[/name]
” [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Augustina[/name]
” [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Georgina[/name]

Also, I think [name]Dora[/name] is the best nickname :slight_smile:

I love [name]Isadora[/name]! I don’t know anyone with the name, but wish I did! The only reference I can think of to [name]Isadora[/name] is from the “Series of Unfortunate Events,” by Lemony Snicket, in which one of the characters is named [name]Isadora[/name] Quagmire. (Her brother is [name]Duncan[/name]…an [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] reference). A lovely, unusual name!

Thanks for replying, everyone!

For the sibling names I like [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], and [name]Rafael[/name]/[name]Raphael[/name]. I also like [name]Cecily[/name] (but I used it as my screen name), [name]Cordelia[/name] (but it shares the ORE sound), [name]Miranda[/name] (too popular compared to [name]Isadora[/name]), [name]Desmond[/name] (I knew someone with that as a last name, so it’s too last namey for me), [name]Sebastian[/name] (too popular, though), [name]Theodore[/name] (shares the [name]DORE[/name] sound), and [name]Julius[/name] (though I have a friend called [name]Julianna[/name], would that be weird?).

For middle names, I don’t know whether to use two or one. [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] is very pretty, [name]Rollo[/name], though Ms. [name]Duncan[/name] had a son called [name]Patrick[/name], and I’m not sure if that would be too odd (I’m sure most people don’t make the connection). JustPeachy, another quirky one-syllable middle name I like is [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lark[/name]. Peach, I love [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Clementine[/name], and [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]. The last two are lovely, but with [name]Isadora[/name], I would use a more “normal” middle, or add a second “normal” middle name. What about [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]? Also, I know you suggested [name]Camille[/name] as a sibling name, but I really like [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Camille[/name], too! Mummyto3, I love [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]! I also like [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] from your list of first names. BB, I really like [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Faye[/name]. [name]Jill[/name], I love [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] [name]June[/name], and [name]Isadora[/name] [name]May[/name]. I like [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Louise[/name], too, but prefer [name]Louisa[/name] as a first name (probably not with [name]Isadora[/name], though). Improvident_lackwit, I really like your [name]Isadora[/name] combos! They sound very princessy and melodious. Oh, and what do you guys think of [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name]?

JustPeachy, you said, “Yes, she may have been ‘tragic’, but all great artists are to some degree”. I agree. The [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] connection isn’t entirely a bad one, and I’m not really worried about it.

As for nicknames, I think I prefer the name in full. However, being four syllables and all, I’m sure it’ll be shortened at one point.

Hteniso, I think [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Duncan[/name] had another brother. Wasn’t his name [name]Quigley[/name]? [name]Quigley[/name] Quagmire.

Thanks again, everyone, and sorry for my endless questions!

cecily isn’t it odd that I would pick [name]Patricia[/name] when I.D. had a son [name]Patrick[/name]? I think [name]Patricia[/name] is a wonderful name, so classy, it is a shame that people shorten it to [name]Pat[/name] or [name]Patty[/name] when it is a first name.

Looks like everyone loves [name]Isadora[/name].

Definitely would have [name]Dora[/name]/[name]Dorey[/name] for nn as opposed to [name]Izzy[/name] - this is too popular with [name]Isabelle[/name] at the moment [name]IMO[/name].

[name]Rollo[/name], I think [name]Patricia[/name] is a nice name, but I dislike [name]Pat[/name] and [name]Patty[/name], too.

My favorite [name]Isadora[/name] combos so far are:

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Camille[/name]

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

Opinions?

[name]Hi[/name]! I really love [name]Isadora[/name]!

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]: I love both names, but to me, [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] sounds very close to someone asking, “Is a door loose?” (It may just be me, though, but I thought I’d mention it just in case!)
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]: I think it’s beautiful!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]: I love it!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]: I think it’s very pretty…
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]: So pretty!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]: I love it!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]May[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]June[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name]: I think it’s so pretty, but I just realized that with nouns in the middle ([name]Pearl[/name], too), [name]Isadora[/name] (noun in the middle) sounds like a question to me, such as, “Is a door a lily?” It may just be me, though! :slight_smile:
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Camille[/name]: I really love it!

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]: It’s the loose door issue for me (and loose pearl), but it’s probably just me. :slight_smile:
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]: I think it’s gorgeous!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name]: [name]Even[/name] though [name]Clementine[/name] can also be a noun, for some reason, it doesn’t jump out at me like some of the other nouns after [name]Isadora[/name]. The same goes for [name]May[/name] and [name]June[/name]. I think this combos is beautiful!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lily[/name]: I really, really love this!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]May[/name]: OOOH! I love this!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]: I love [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]May[/name] more!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Alice[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lily[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Camille[/name]: I absolutely love all three names, but I like the rhythm of the other names more.
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Jane[/name]: I love all three names, but because [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Violet[/name] makes me think of a question (“Is a door a violet?”) or a violet-colored door, I like some of the others more.

I love so many of your combos!

Good luck! :slight_smile: