Thoughts on Kyrie?

Closed thread

Closed thread

I think its a pretty but unique name! I must admit, I’ve never heard of it and would not have thought to pronounce it [name_m]Keer[/name_m]-ee-ay.
I automatically read it as “Kie-ree” or “keer-ee”. I think if you are happy to continually correct people though, then go for it.

Congrats! [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] is one of my favorite baby names! Although I have yet to meet anyone with the name.

I know the word is pronounced keer-ee-ay, but I think absolutely everyone will say kye-ree at first. I would even guess kye-ree first, unless I specifically saw that her middle name was actually Eleison. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about using the pronunciation kye-ree OR constantly having to correct people that it is keer-ee-ay?

This reminds me of comments I’ve seen about the name [name_f]Caeli[/name_f]. Pronounced chay-lee but people will constantly say kay-lee. I think I remember seeing a comment from one mom of a [name_f]Caeli[/name_f] who actually just pronounces her daughter’s name kay-lee. I also remember reading an another comment from a different mom of a newborn [name_f]Caeli[/name_f], who immediately after naming her had a nurse mispronounce it of course but the mom was not bothered at all by getting to explain the pronunciation and meaning of the name, and she was going to teach her daughter when she was older how she could also wear her name graciously. It was such a sweet and compassionate attitude this mom had and that comment has always stuck with me.

Either way, what a lovely name for your baby. Congrats again!

Haha I’m used to correcting people with my name so I guess it’s something that just doesn’t bother me. As long as people understand after correction I don’t mind, and I hope she doesn’t either as she gets older.

Thanks for your input.

Aw thanks for your reply. [name_f]Caeli[/name_f] is beautiful with its original pronunciation. I’m glad the mother was very humble with corrections.

Like I said in the previous comment, I’m used to correcting people with my name often, and it doesn’t personally bother me. Some names aren’t mainstream and you can’t blame people for not understanding at first. I love the name [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] enough to stick with it even if people don’t understand at first.

Again thanks for the feedback.

I like it in theory - it looks pretty and the meaning is clearly powerful* - but I myself couldn’t use it b/c I don’t like the sound -ay at the end. It’s too close to hey/aye/a questioning tone and it’s off-putting to my ear. But it sounds like you’ve decided on it anyway so this is probably redundant!

*saw religious comment after - it did occur to me that the meaning might be a little on the nose?

Wow, I love your pronunciation! I think I actually like the name [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] now just because of the pronunciation you have. People are almost certain to get it wrong the first few times, but as long as you don’t any issues with correcting them, it’s a great choice.

[name_m]Long[/name_m]-time Episcopalian here…the service uses [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] Eleison, so I’m familiar w/the pronunciation. In my opinion it’s beautiful as a name! :slight_smile:

Okay, so as you’ve already pointed out, [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] means “lord” in Greek. I’ve noticed that you chose Eleison as the middle name, which means “have mercy” in Greek. So, you’re aware that your childs name is literally going to mean, “[name_m]Lord[/name_m], have mercy,” right?

This is a common invocation at the beginning of mass (yes, we say it in Latin at various times of the year) and as a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Catholic, I actually kind of find it offensive. This is a prayer, it’s not really supposed to be a child’s name. I think it’s insensitive to specific religious cultures and sort of blasphemous. I’m sorry, but I do. You asked our thoughts and that’s mine.

I liked it better when I thought it was [name_u]Kye[/name_u]-ree, even though that isn’t a name I’d typically like much anyway. I noticed you are from [name_f]Florida[/name_f]. I know the States are commonly thought of as the “melting pot”, where so many various cultures and descendants from different cultures live in one land. [name_m]Even[/name_m] then, I just don’t see this name flying here. I think it would be too much of a gamble to bet that your daughter will be perfectly fine with having to correct every person she meets, just because you do.

I’m not trying to come off as harsh and, by your posts, I get the impression that not a single negative word could dissuade you using the name. If it means that much to you, maybe it would work better as a middle name?

I think in reality, at least in the states, it will be assumed by many to be pronounced ky-ree and assumed to be a masculine name. I’m not a basketball fan, not even close, and immediately thought of Kyrie [name_m]Irving[/name_m] (I also do not live in the state in plays for). Naming a baby can be very difficult. We are blessing another human being with a name. It will be this person that will carry the chosen name and all the positives and negatives that could go along with it. They are little for a very short period of their life. You might not care to correct people for a decade or two but they will have this name for, hopefully, 80+ years. These are my opinions and thoughts on this name and naming in general…so you do not need to agree with them or follow them, just thought I would put them out there.

“This is a common invocation at the beginning of mass (yes, we say it in Latin at various times of the year) and as a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Catholic, I actually kind of find it offensive. This is a prayer, it’s not really supposed to be a child’s name. I think it’s insensitive to specific religious cultures and sort of blasphemous. I’m sorry, but I do. You asked our thoughts and that’s mine.”

Like stated, all opinions are appreciated, even ones that aren’t necessarily positive. I want to see and understand people’s reactions to the name on the off chance that we decide it’s not the best.

That being said, yes, both my husband and I understand the meaning and religious background of the name. That is actually why we chose it. As Christians it has a special and powerful meaning to us, but I can understand how it is offensive in your point of view. Neither of us grew up as Catholics and were completely unfamiliar with the term until recently.

This hasn’t really effected whether I’m going to use the name or not, but it does enlighten me that some people may find it offensive. Thanks for the input. It’s appreciated.

"I think it would be too much of a gamble to bet that your daughter will be perfectly fine with having to correct every person she meets, just because you do.

I’m not trying to come off as harsh and, by your posts, I get the impression that not a single negative word could dissuade you using the name. If it means that much to you, maybe it would work better as a middle name?"

That’s the issue. The best argument against using it is that everyone, and I mean literally everyone, who doesn’t know her is going to pronounce her name incorrectly the first time reading it. I don’t want her to grow up hating her name or getting frustrated.

I’ll definitely think about this and talk about it with my husband. We love the name, but if it’s going to completely frustrate her growing up that’s something to definitely take into consideration.

“I like it in theory - it looks pretty and the meaning is clearly powerful* - but I myself couldn’t use it b/c I don’t like the sound -ay at the end. It’s too close to hey/aye/a questioning tone and it’s off-putting to my ear.”

Understandable but it’s funny because that’s one of the reasons why my husband and I love it so much. I actually hate the other two pronunciations.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

“Wow, I love your pronunciation! I think I actually like the name [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] now just because of the pronunciation you have. People are almost certain to get it wrong the first few times, but as long as you don’t any issues with correcting them, it’s a great choice.”

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like it. I’m getting a lot of mixed feelings with this one. Seems people love it, hate it or are indifferent. Thanks for the input.

Also I love the names in your signature.

“[name_m]Long[/name_m]-time Episcopalian here…the service uses [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] Eleison, so I’m familiar w/the pronunciation. In my opinion it’s beautiful as a name!”

I’m getting quite a few people here familiar with the term which surprises me. Most people I tell in person have no idea what I’m talking about. Then again I do live in the south and don’t know any Catholics.

I’m glad you can appreciate it and don’t find it offensive.

It’s kind of a mouthful. Definitely expect nicknames from her future friends !

I’m also a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Catholic and I find it quite offensive, too. [name_m]Even[/name_m] just the name [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] makes me eye-roll. You are literally naming your kid “[name_m]Lord[/name_m].” [name_m]How[/name_m] on earth do you not find that blasphemous?

“It’s kind of a mouthful. Definitely expect nicknames from her future friends !”

Hopefully not lol. I don’t find [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u] more difficult than any other three-syllable name.