Thoughts on Madison/Maddison for a girl, plus correct spelling?

See the results of this poll: Preferred spelling of Madison/Maddison

Respondents: 66 (This poll is closed)

• Madison : 62 (94%)
  • Maddison: 4 (6%)

Kill it with fire.

I don’t think you’re in the US, but it’s so dated and overdone here. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is related to [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Maud[/name_f], not [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]. It literally means “son of [name_f]Maud[/name_f].”

My name is [name_u]Madison[/name_u], and I don’t like it. I wish I was named [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] because there are so many nicknames.

People on Nameberry tend to be very anti-[name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], etc. for a girl. Southern.maple does have a point-- it technically means “son of [name_f]Maud[/name_f]” which is probably not exactly the kind of image you want for your little girl.

It’s really not my style, but I think you could do a lot worse with all the crazy, “creative” spellings people give simple names (I know a Kenadi and a Ayme, for example). If you really do love the name, I’d definitely go with [name_u]Madison[/name_u] over [name_f]Maddison[/name_f]. I feel like there are enough Madisons in the world (particularly in the United States) that she won’t be annoyed about having a name that means “son of [name_f]Maud[/name_f].”

I wouldn’t say it’s try-hard, but it’s definitely a used name, at least in the US. The whole -son trend for girls is definitely blowing over, particularly with a name like [name_u]Madison[/name_u] that’s already had its day in the sun.
I also personally think it a little odd to name a little girl a name that literally has “son” in it.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] means “son of [name_f]Maud[/name_f]”. I don’t think your child will have a harder time in life because of a unisex name (unless it was really masculine sounding, which [name_u]Madison[/name_u] isn’t because its so commonly used for a girl). I would be worried about how many other Mad- named children are going to be in your child’s classes. I live in the USA, and I know several in preschool/kindergarten. And we at least have one [name_u]Madison[/name_u] or [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] or [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] in my classes as a high school student.
That being said, people on nameberry typically hate [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. I used to like [name_u]Madison[/name_u] when I was younger, so understand the appeal. If it is a name you truly love, than go for it, don’t let our hate from the name deter you. Its not a bad name, except for the fact that it is sooo popular.
For spelling the [name_f]Maddison[/name_f] spelling looks made up, so would go with [name_u]Madison[/name_u], its the established spelling, so your child won’t have to say, “Its [name_u]Madison[/name_u], with two ds”. My name is really hard to spell, so I understand the frustration of the weirdly spelled name and wish my parents had chosen a name that is easier to spell.

This is true we would probably suggest [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] if you want a more classic name with the [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] nickname.

The meaning of this name is ‘woman from the village’ and is of Hebrew origin and originates from the name [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f].

We nameberries also feel that [name_f]Maddison[/name_f] is a little outdated (I am just mentioning these things so you can get a wider view of the name in the worldwide community) and while it is popular which many nameberries dislike that angle wouldn’t worry me too much if I liked the name enough.

I love the name [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and on a recent nameberry poll many thought that the nickname of [name_f]May[/name_f] was a great alternative to the usual [name_u]Mattie[/name_u] or [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] nicknames.

Here is a pretty name that may appeal if you like the meaning: [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] meaning ‘warrior maiden’ and the nickname of [name_f]Millie[/name_f] is very ‘in’ at the moment.

Wishing you all the best, and if [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is the name closest to your heart then I am sure our fellow nameberries would support your choice.

rollo
ossibly meaning “attendant (for a temple).” In mythology, this is the name of a warrio

I like it even if it is a bit popular and I prefer the [name_u]Madison[/name_u] spelling.

Yeah, [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is kind of dated in a late 90s/early 2000s sort of way. It’s not a bad name by any means, but it’s a name that will certainly go down in history as “reminiscent of a certain era”. I don’t think this name will be hard because it was SO overwhelmingly popular so recently and I’ve always considered it a female name (kind of unisex but can’t recall a single male named [name_u]Madison[/name_u]).

I think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Maud[/name_f] are both great alternatives… but if you’re looking for other ideas:

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]- protection

[name_f]Esme[/name_f]- “to love, beloved”

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] “famous warrior”

[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]- “strong” in Celtic.

[name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], meaning “healthy, strong” in Latin.

[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] means courage

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] was a name that came out of nowhere due to the film “Splash” which had a mermaid named after posh [name_u]Madison[/name_u] Avenue in [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m]. The name was suppose to be a joke and but I guess a lot of people didn’t “get it” because the name caught on like a wildfire and raced up the charts. In [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u], the name is trendy and overused. I really don’t like it at all. I find it “dated” to the 1980’s when the film came out. If you’re going to use it, spell it correctly as [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. It will save your daughter the trouble of telling people “it’s [name_f]Maddison[/name_f] spelled with two d’s” throughout her life.

Yeah, [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is very dated. You can’t leave the house without hearing [name_u]Madison[/name_u] all the time. So, it is over popular too in a trendy, but the trend is over, kind of way. I agree with everyone else that [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] would be sooooo much better. If you do use [name_u]Madison[/name_u], definitely spell it with one d. In general, I dislike “son” names on both genders.

I have a feeling your Australian (due to the use of the word bogan). [name_u]Madison[/name_u] when combined with [name_f]Maddison[/name_f] is only sixteen while [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is 18, both names are very popular. I prefer the [name_u]Madison[/name_u] spelling but it does mean son of maud, though its been very popular for many years for girls so your daughter will be fine. Their are four [name_u]Madison[/name_u]'s/[name_f]Maddison[/name_f]'s in my year plus a [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] I’m born in the 90’s. Also many people don’t even know its a boys name their so used to it on girls.

I love [name_u]Madison[/name_u], of course I’m a little biased as my husbands cousin has a beautiful 2 year old [name_u]Madison[/name_u] who is just a little doll that I put the name with. I think it’s in tune with the latest naming trend, if you’re alright with that. There are plenty of nicknames for [name_u]Madison[/name_u] (I prefer this spelling) like [name_f]Maddy[/name_f]/[name_f]Maddie[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f], [name_f]Addy[/name_f]/[name_f]Addie[/name_f], [name_m]Mads[/name_m], Mazz, Mazzie, [name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f], and [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] are to name quite a few I’ve heard for [name_u]Madison[/name_u].
You said the name fits your baby girl! Go with what feels right to you. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I don’t have a problem with [name_u]Madison[/name_u], although have you considered [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_u]Madigan[/name_u], or any other variants?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

Thank you so much for your honest opinions and feedback! I am in Australia where I have found it to not be a common name. In fact, that was part of its appeal to my husband and I since we didn’t want a very common name!

The meaning of [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is disappointing, and ‘son of [name_f]Maud[/name_f]’ is quite different to the meaning that we had found elsewhere!

Thank you! This is all food for thought.

Here is the chart for Australia it is top twenty
http://mccrindle.com.au/ResearchSummaries/2013/Baby-Names-Australia-2013_McCrindle-Research.pdf
NSW data: http://www.nsw.gov.au/baby-names

Oh no! Thank you for that!

Its also pretty dated I know a lot of [name_u]Madison[/name_u]'s and [name_f]Maddison[/name_f]'s that are my age (14) and the youngest [name_f]Maddison[/name_f] I know would be two now

In fact, here’s a clip from the scene where the mermaid decides she wants to be called [name_u]Madison[/name_u] (wonder what would’ve happened if she went with one of the other suggestions?).

I’m not in the US, so I haven’t met a lot of Madisons. I know it’s really popular, but I still like the name. Prefer spelled [name_u]Madison[/name_u], because [name_f]Maddison[/name_f] can cause a lot of misspellings.