Thoughts on Molly?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband loves the name [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. I think it’s cute that he loves it…but I’m not a big fan of the name. I prefer [name_f]Mary[/name_f].
What associations do you have about the name? What would your reaction be to meeting a little girl named [name_f]Molly[/name_f]?

Edit: I read some comments online about how it’s slang for a drug? Does anybody think of this when they hear the name Molly?

1 Like

I think [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is super cute. I know a 2 year old with this name and she’s spunky and sweet. Also am friends with a woman in 30s names who is professional and classy. So I think it ages just fine!

Mary is a classic and timeless and you can never go wrong with that either.

Good luck!

1 Like

I definitely prefer [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. it just has more personality to me. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] doesn’t give me any vibes besides old lady. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is spunky, smart, and energetic. It could also work as a nickname for [name_f]Malia[/name_f] or [name_f]Malina[/name_f].

1 Like

I think its super cute and my heart would probaly melting when i would meet a little girl called [name_f]Molly[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Molly is just the sweetest name, in my opinion! I think it’s adorable and spunky. I’d absolutely love to meet a little [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! I definitely prefer it to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (which is a nice classic, but feels a bit overused and dated to me).
[name_f]My[/name_f] associations with [name_f]Molly[/name_f] are [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Ringwald, [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Weasley, [name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_u]Davis[/name_u] from Toy [name_u]Story[/name_u], [name_f]Molly[/name_f] from The Big Comfy Couch, and the song [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Molly[/name_f] by Incubus. All positive associations to me!!
Also, in school one of my close friends had a sister named [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and she loved her name! :blush:

1 Like

Hi there.

I like it a lot. It’s very homey & kind, but also a little sporty. It’s old fashioned, but sounds fresh at the same time. I do kind of like it for a nn. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is very doable. I also love [name_f]Maureen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Malka[/name_f] & [name_u]Malin[/name_u] also work.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! The drug isn’t my first association at all. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is the American Girl doll. But if you don’t love it, I would say to take it off your list.

1 Like

You could have both. I know someone whose name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but goes by the nickname [name_f]Molly[/name_f].

1 Like

Molly feels cosy to me. It’s quite nice

1 Like

Well my name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] so I may be a little biased here but I think [name_f]Molly[/name_f]’s a cute nickname. I do think of the drug sometimes when I hear it, but I mainly think of the American Girl [name_m]Doll[/name_m] [name_f]Molly[/name_f] McIntyre if that helps.

1 Like

It’s cute, but I know a lot of Mollies. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is a drug, but it’s established enough as a name that that wouldn’t be immediate.

2 Likes

Molly is just so sweet! I love it. But it is was originally nn for [name_f]Mary[/name_f], so you could potentially use both.

I think the name is common enough that it’s not super tied to any one association, which I think is a plus. I’ve never heard it in relation to drugs…

I would love to meet a little [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! It would be absolutely darling on a little girl today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Charlie is slang for a drug too… But my name is [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and I go by [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and I honestly don’t see that in my name at all
I prefer [name_f]Molly[/name_f] to [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

1 Like

Molly originated as a nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f], so I don’t see that as being a stretch.

1 Like

I had no idea it was slang for a drug.

I know lots of Mollys they’re all lovely

I prefer [name_f]Molly[/name_f] to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] which feels more outdated.

Also the lovely association of [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Weasley

1 Like

I used to dislike [name_f]Molly[/name_f], but I like it now. I prefer [name_f]Molly[/name_f] over [name_f]Mary[/name_f], although I like both names.

1 Like

The drug reference doesn’t really bother me, was big a couple years ago but nobody has mentioned it to me since. I’m much more likely to get “oh I know a dog named [name_f]Molly[/name_f]” which is a minor annoyance.

One other slightly annoying thing to keep in mind, [name_f]Molly[/name_f]/Moll sound very similar to Mommy/Mom. I answered to both growing up pretty regularly.

When I was at university, I was randomly assigned a suite with 4 other [name_f]Molly[/name_f]’s (one of whom was [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f] after her mom) who are all about 24-25. I think nowadays it might be more refreshing to meet one considering I think it’s lost popularity. I don’t care for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but that might be even more refreshing/unexpected.

Molly sounds more youthful and playful to me whereas [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a lot more serious. I guess it just depends on what vibe you’re going for. As others have said, you could go [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Molly[/name_f] as well.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Molly[/name_f] as well

2 Likes

Molly is on my list. I could definitely see myself using it. I don’t think of the drug at all.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be concerned with the slang drug term. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Crystal[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], and [name_u]Cody[/name_u] are also slang drug terms and all these names are pretty common…

I have a relative named [name_f]Mali[/name_f], pronounced the same way as [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. Perhaps that could be a good compromise with what your husband likes and a separation from ecstacy/MDMA.

1 Like