Thoughts on my first name choices [updated]

Hello there my fellow Berries; okay, so I have gotten past my rebellious, I will name my child anything I want phase, not that I was going for [name]Moon[/name]-Unit to begin with, and am ready to value y”alls opinions. My name list in it”s entirdy is elsewhere on the site, two middle names and all, don”t shoot! And yes, I am prepared to admit that some of my mn choices are a tad ”weird.” The weird names mean something to me, and we are still not talking [name]Moon[/name]-Unit here, but I really don”t want specific comments on these names as, let”s face it, they don”t really matter and you should be allowed a little fun before your baby turns on and starts wanting you to take care of it. I”m sure I would get some compliments for the beautiful combo”s, but that”s not what I”m after this time around. What I”m hope to achieve is the impression my first name”s leave on you, as Berries. I would love any combination of physical descriptions, character traits, hobbies, professions as well as how you personally react when you hear the name.
Would you hire [name]Gwendolyn[/name]? Would you be glad to have Diella as your Dear Daughter-in-law? [name]Will[/name] your face light up when you see [name]Marion[/name] on your students” list? When you say ”What a great name!” do you really mean it? Be my [name]Baby[/name]-Name-Survey [name]Berry[/name]-Book!
And here is a question I believe more Berries should ask themselves, I”ve seen it happen to others, it has happened to me, would the physical presence of a sweet baby change your mind about that name that isn”t an automatic A+ for you?
I like the spellings the way they are, unless it would effect you hiring my child, don”t tell me you prefer a different spelling- there should be grace for those who have used no Y”s in weird places;)

A Few Notes:

On NN’s: I like to pick a nn for a name because I don’t want my kids going through what I went through [name]Gabby[/name] for [name]Gabrielle[/name] UGH! Also, I love the fact that they will have another name- I am a name freak!

I know you may not like a name for your own child, but would you like it for mine? I’m not asking you to name your child, you can like it and never have to use it yourself.

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Marion[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
Tigerlily (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name])
[name]Elaney[/name] (A legitimate variant of [name]Elaine[/name]; prn [name]Elle[/name]-uh-nee, all said softly, no hard consanants or vowels, do you like the way this sounds?)
[name]Fallon[/name]
[name]Ireland[/name] (we love [name]Ireland[/name], not just our homeland, but the name itself, I can’t get it out of my head!)
Diella (it is prn. D-ella; it is not made up, it is very old; it means ‘Worshipper of God’ the [name]Di[/name] is prn. just like [name]Didi[/name] is prn, dee-dee, not die-die)
Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] said it first)
[name]Scarlette[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name])
[name]Mirabella[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name])
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Calixta[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Eleazar[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Jesse[/name]

The following are ”special” names; I would only use these names in special situations. I”ll tell you the special ‘sitch’ if it is relevant to the choice of name.
[name]Anastasia[/name] (nn Sia or Sea)
[name]Cameo[/name] (I would use this if I ever gave birth to/ adopted a premature baby it means small, but perfectly formed)
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names, yes, both L’s, but the sounds are different; prn. Lye-luh and [name]Lee[/name]-At)
[name]Damian[/name] (in ten more years will everyone be over the horror movie many in my own generation have never seen? [name]Just[/name] to be clear, this is a boy’s name)

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] (that Y has grace)- I don’t care much for it.
[name]Marion[/name]- Bleh
[name]Evangeline[/name]- Frilly but sweet. She’s a ballet dancer for sure.
Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name])- My guilty pleasure name <3 So fun & quirky.
[name]Elaney[/name] (Would you pronounce this [name]El[/name]-uh-nee, or E-lay-nEE? Would you quickly transition to the first pronounciation when I told you?) E-lay-nEE, sounds made up.
[name]Fallon[/name]- I like surname-y names but this one isn’t my cup of tea.
[name]Ireland[/name]- I like place names but only if you have some connection to that place.
Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] said it first) I agree
Diella (Would you say Die-[name]Ella[/name]? Or D-ella? Are you happy to know that I prefer the version where ”ella” is kept alive?)
D-ella, but I don’t like this at all. Sounds made up.
[name]Scarlette[/name]- Classy & elegant. She’s romantic, independent, & quite charming.
Jozeffa- Old spanish charm, I like.
[name]Mirabella[/name]- Soft and pretty, I love the nn [name]Mira[/name]. Another lil’ ballet dancer.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name])- This name is like a LBD, you can never go wrong.
[name]Maisie[/name]- Bubbly & sweet. She’s down to earth but such a flirt.
[name]Arria[/name]- The two Rs are turning me off.

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name] (We would call him [name]Rafe[/name], as his nn, mn [name]Raphael[/name], no I don”t want to name him [name]Raphael[/name], I want to name him [name]Carston[/name]; I would use both names equally) Not feelin’ it.
[name]Benjamin[/name]- Handsome but cool. He’s laid-back.
[name]Jasper[/name]- Stylish & handsome.
[name]Eleazar[/name]- [name]Don[/name]'t care for it.
[name]Jonas[/name]- Brothers. For a long time, perhaps [name]Jonah[/name]?
[name]Gideon[/name]-I hope & pray this NEVER becomes popular (my future son’s name).
[name]Xavier[/name]- X’s always look cool but this isn’t really my style.
[name]Jesse[/name]- Blah.
[name]Roger[/name]- See above.
[name]Gable[/name]- Such a guy’s guy, I approve
Ashild- A shield?

The following are ”special” names; I would only use these names in special situations. I”ll tell you the special ‘sitch’ if it is relevant to the choice of name.
Ulicia ([name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it?) You lee see uh
[name]Cammeo[/name] (I would use this if I ever gave birth to/ adopted a premature baby) Ok.
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names) [name]Lila[/name] yes, Liat no.
[name]Damian[/name] (in ten more years will everyone be over the horror movie many in my own generation have never seen? [name]Just[/name] to be clear, this is a boy’s name)- Lol maybe, maybe not.

Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

[name]Marion[/name] is after Maid [name]Marion[/name], I have a huge love for all things [name]Robin[/name] Hood :wink: So in my mind [name]Marion[/name] is sexy, a leader and awesome, not a grandma.

I am SO happy to see good things for my sweet Tigerlily; [name]Tiger[/name] is my mom’s nn, there are many reasons for this name and I love it!

[name]Elaney[/name] is accually a variant of [name]Elaine[/name], and though I love the Lady of Shallot, the Lady of Seinfeld ruined [name]Elaine[/name] for me.

I’m Irish, my HTB is irish; when we have small quarrels one of us will say, “Uh-oh, Irish eyes are dancing.” I agree with you about the connection whole-heartedly.

Diella is an old latin name, I do see how it could look made-up though

[name]Arria[/name] is off the list now, it was pronounced A-ree-uh; it’s an ancient name.

I’ve done a clean-out, [name]Roger[/name] as well!

Pronounced [name]Ash[/name]-uld for my maiden name containing [name]Ash[/name]

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

Whoops, I completely skipped [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Helena[/name]. I think [name]Jemima[/name] would have a harder time over coming the syrup brand rather than it’s sad reference in the bible. [name]Helena[/name] is soft, pretty and elegant. Sorry about the Ashild comment it just looked like ‘A shield’. My favorites off your list would be…

G- [name]Mirabella[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], Tigerlily, [name]Helena[/name]
B- [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Gideon[/name], [name]Gable[/name], Ashild

You have great names on your list!

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] (that Y has grace) - I love this name a lot. I always picture [name]Gwendolyn[/name] as a princess. [name]Long[/name] flowy blonde hair, fair skin, a musical voice. I know one [name]Gwendolyn[/name] (spelled this way!) and she’s an excellent piano player and a very nice girl altogether so I have nothing but excellent associations with this name. I agree, the Y makes the name pretty- and I don’t usually like Ys!

[name]Marion[/name] - This reminds me of Maid [name]Marion[/name] (love [name]Robin[/name] Hood!) and [name]Marion[/name] the Librarian (from [name]Music[/name] [name]Man[/name], one of my favorite musicals), so again, it’s a name I have good connotations with. I actually love the name [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Marion[/name] seems to be a great way to use a more vintage, longer name to get [name]Mari[/name]/[name]Mary[/name] as a nickname. [name]Marion[/name] has a good girl image to me mixed in with a hidden sassy side.

[name]Evangeline[/name] - oh my goodness, my favorite name! Well, a recent favorite. This name is another one I envision on a princess. But it also has a richer, sexy side as well. I could picture and [name]Evangeline[/name] with dark hair and a quiet but thoughtful personality.

Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name]) - So, you’re seriously on a roll here, because Tigerlily is a huge guilty pleasure name for me since [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name] was one of the first Broadway shows I ever saw and happens to be my favorite kids movie (along with Hook and Return to Neverland, haha). I also love Tinkerbelle. Tigerlily seems more plausible though :slight_smile: I could definitely envision this as a middle name though I think it’s a bit much as first name, though I do really love it.

[name]Elaney[/name] (Would you pronounce this [name]El[/name]-uh-nee, or E-lay-nEE? Would you quickly transition to the first pronounciation when I told you?) - I would pronounce this el-AY-nee (like [name]Elaine[/name] with an “ee” on the end). I don’t love it, but it’s a perfectly fine name and I would pronounce it however the person preferred it to be pronounced once corrected. I can’t fully envision this name on a person.

[name]Fallon[/name] - I went to camp with a really mean girl named [name]Fallon[/name] so the name has overwhelmingly negative associations for me. I’m sure for most people it’s a cool name though.

[name]Ireland[/name] - I like this name a lot and would love to meet a child named [name]Ireland[/name]. I couldn’t personally use it because I have zero ties to [name]Ireland[/name] (though it’s reason enough to visit!) but I love the sound of this name a lot. I could imagine an [name]Ireland[/name] being very hip and cool, not overly feminine but kind of artsy/hipster.

Diella (Would you say Die-[name]Ella[/name]? Or D-ella? Are you happy to know that I prefer the version where ”ella” is kept alive?) - I would pronounce this [name]DEE[/name]-ella. If you wanted to to just be [name]Dell[/name]-uh, I’d spell it [name]Della[/name]. I much prefer the [name]Dell[/name]-uh/[name]Della[/name] version. The presence of “Die” at the beginning of the name feels weird to me. But [name]Della[/name] is soft and sweet. I could picture a girl named [name]Della[/name] being laid back and girly, well liked and sporty.

Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] said it first) - Siren is very cool. And in Greek mythology a Siren was a woman who was simultaneously alluring but dangerous. It’s a lot to live up to, plus references to abulance sirens and loud annoying noises could be tiring, but otherwise its very cool. It’s another that I think works best in the middle. Upon meeting a woman named Siren I would just wonder about her parents and her background and I can really only picture a Siren being very bad-a$$ (excuse my language).

[name]Scarlette[/name] - I know a few Scarletts so the image of the name is mixed for me. One is really athletic and tomboyish, the other is a professional woman (a lawyer I believe) with two adorable kids, the last is a four year old who is very cute and has a red hair which is ironic since she was born with white blonde hair. [name]Scarlett[/name] is becoming popular so I’d say this name has a pretty versatile image and feel.

[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name]) - My best friend’s sister is named [name]Helena[/name]. I’m also a big [name]Shakespeare[/name] fan and Midsummer [name]Night[/name]'s [name]Dream[/name] is one of my favorite plays. So I love [name]Helena[/name] a lot. I picture a [name]Helena[/name] as girly, romantic, literary, very smart.

[name]Mirabella[/name] - [name]Mirabella[/name] is fanciful, rich and very feminine to me. I like this name a lot. [name]Mirabella[/name]'s another princessy name, but a bit more exotic, like more of an Italian princess than a medieval one, if you know what I mean.

[name]Jemima[/name] (Could my spunky daughter over-come the sad connotations, this is one of my very favorite names!) - Yes, I think the syrup connotations can be surpassed here. I love this name a lot and I see [name]Jemima[/name] as a spunky young girl with a bright personality and lots of friends. I also feel like it’s very British, which is not a bad thing at all, but I might assume that the girl has some ties to [name]England[/name].

[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name]) - this name is so versatile that it doesn’t really have an image. [name]Elizabeth[/name] can be a good girl, a rocker, a mom, an artist and basically anything else. I like [name]Eliza[/name] a lot too, very spunky and cool!

[name]Maisie[/name] - I went to school with a [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name]. She was kind of quirky, really smart, and adorable when we were kids. I also envision the mouse ([name]Maisy[/name], I think) from the childrens book series. Not my favorite name and it feels a bit diminutive on a grown woman, but it’s not the worst of the nickname names.

Jozeffa - Very interesting and exotic. I like it, though I’m not sure how I feel about the Z in there. I would assume that a Jozeffa was European.

I didn’t have time to do your boys names, but I’ll be back tomorrow! [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] (that Y has grace) - pretty like it but maybe a little ott
[name]Marion[/name] - prefer [name]Marianne[/name] spelling (a lot). but is ok
[name]Evangeline[/name] - too fussy for me - what if she is a tomboy???
Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name]) - sorry but this is awful - you are naming a person not a horse!!!
[name]Elaney[/name] (Would you pronounce this [name]El[/name]-uh-nee, or E-lay-nEE? Would you quickly transition to the first pronounciation when I told you?) I would initially say E-lay-nee (but then looks like a mispelling of [name]Eleni[/name]). To be honest el-uh-nee doesn’t sound too great… Elleney maybe?
[name]Fallon[/name] - don’t like, Faryl?
[name]Ireland[/name] - don’t like
Diella (Would you say Die-[name]Ella[/name]? Or D-ella? Are you happy to know that I prefer the version where ”ella” is kept alive?) - I would say [name]Dee[/name]-ella, it looks completely made up to me.
Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] said it first) - [name]Seren[/name] (welsh meaning star pronounced seh-ren - both e’s pn the same as in red) all the way - that honours both [name]Selma[/name] and [name]Irene[/name] without the evil connotations - too much teasing/bullying potential not too mention the issues with job interviews… haha can you seriously imagine taking someone named Siren seriously in a job interview (if she hadn’t already changed her name by that point…)
[name]Scarlette[/name] - don’t like colour names. If you are going to use it loose the extra e - is a nightmare of spelling out your name everytime…
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name]) - much prefer [name]Helen[/name], just sounds much more classy to me
[name]Mirabella[/name] - is ok, bit cutsey
[name]Jemima[/name] (Could my spunky daughter over-come the sad connotations, this is one of my very favorite names!) - i absolutely love this!!!
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name]) - is a lot less popular now but i grew up with a friend named [name]Elizabeth[/name]… She hated the name because she wasw always 1 of 5… Why not just [name]Eliza[/name]?
[name]Maisie[/name] - too nicknamey… [name]Love[/name] [name]Mairead[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name] tho
Jozeffa - too weird

[name]Jemima[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Seren[/name] or [name]Mairead[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name] would be my picks.

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name] (We would call him [name]Rafe[/name], as his nn, mn [name]Raphael[/name], no I don”t want to name him [name]Raphael[/name], I want to name him [name]Carston[/name]; I would use both names equally) - don’t understand naming your child with the intention of calling him by his middle name… if you want to call him [name]Rafe[/name] make his first name [name]Raphael[/name] or just [name]Rafe[/name]…
[name]Benjamin[/name] - nice classic, but popular
[name]Jasper[/name] - is ok, something just not quite right about it though
[name]Eleazar[/name] - too weird - wouldn’t even know where to begin on pronouncing it!
[name]Jonas[/name] - is ok
[name]Gideon[/name] - is ok
[name]Jesse[/name] - like it
[name]Gable[/name] - like in a barn???
Ashild - again weird and pronounciation issues

[name]Benjamin[/name] stands out by a lot as the only name I would ever consider.

Ulicia ([name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it?) - u-liss-ee-a, think is pretty but there are several evil characters in books named Ulicia…
[name]Cammeo[/name] (I would use this if I ever gave birth to/ adopted a premature baby) -
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names) - [name]WAY[/name] [name]WAY[/name] [name]WAY[/name] too matchy for twins - they will want their own identities.
[name]Damian[/name] (in ten more years will everyone be over the horror movie many in my own generation have never seen? [name]Just[/name] to be clear, this is a boy’s name) - is ok… I don’t watch horror movies and still find this name a bit creepy…

Sorry may have been a bit harsh but am afraid a lot of your girls names look mispelt and the boys are just a bit weird to me.

Oh, I love you, I love you, I love you.

I think [name]Sib[/name]-sets are awesome, but I love my wide veriety. I want my warrior princess [name]Gwendolyn[/name] to have a ballerina sister, [name]Evangeline[/name], and a sexy sister Siren. I think [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] will all love their literary connections, and how each is so different. [name]Marion[/name] and Tigerlilly should get along- they are both so unique in their own way.

The best thing is it’s your name, your kids know that before it was on their birth certificate it was in your head; all my names have a point and a purpose. :wink:

Thank you Freckles, if we were in Kindergarten (with all the [name]Isla[/name]'s, [name]Olivia[/name]'s and [name]Scarlette[/name]'s) I would offer you my cookie and my eternal friendship!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name]

Thank you darling, no, I’m glad you said what you said, I wanted first reactions and you were not needlessly cruel!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

My, my, I guess this just prooves what different styles people have. I suppose you didn’t read my first post when I asked, “Also, I like the spellings the way they are, unless it would effect you hiring my child, don”t tell me you prefer a different spelling- there should be grace for those who have used no Y”s in weird places” but if the spelling of [name]Scarlette[/name], which is a legitimate spelling, along with [name]Scarlet[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name], would have affected your opinion on my daughter the comments were warrented.

Thank you anyway.

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Bella[/name], [name]Just[/name] reread what I wrote - quick apology needed… Sorry was a bit harsh re: your name choices! We’ll put it down to lack of sleep due to enormousness! They are a very different style to what I like. [name]Just[/name] please don’t name your daughter Siren…! I would pay attention to the comments on spelling though - it is extremely annoying to have to spell your name out for people all the time… I have a fairly well known name that for some reason no one can spell ([name]Francesca[/name])… You wouldn’t believe what some people come up with!
Good luck to you, [name]Fran[/name] x

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] - I am really starting to like this name, just like I am starting to like [name]Isolde[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]. Very girly but the girl can use [name]Gwen[/name] if she is less girly or frilly.
[name]Marion[/name] - I prefer [name]Miriam[/name] personally but I get the whole [name]Robin[/name] Hood connection.
[name]Evangeline[/name] - Not a huge fan of ‘[name]Angel[/name]’ name so I won’t comment on this name.
Tigerlilly - I can’t take this name seriously and probably wouldn’t take a woman with this name seriously either.
[name]Elaney[/name] - I would pronounce this name E-lay-nee because that is what it look like and honestly everytime I read it I would pronounce it that way as well. The only way I wouldn’t pronounce it that way would be if I heard it instead of reading it.
[name]Fallon[/name] - This is a boys name [name]IMO[/name].
[name]Ireland[/name] - Honestly? This is the same as naming your child United States of [name]America[/name], [name]Canada[/name], [name]England[/name] or Spain. If you are of an Irish background you should name your child a name that is from your history instead.
Diella - I would pronounce this Die-[name]Ella[/name] just like [name]Diana[/name] is pronounced. If you want it D-ella you should spell it like Deella or [name]Della[/name].
Siren - um, a pole is really all I see in this girl’s future. Name a girl Siren is like naming them [name]Princess[/name], [name]Candy[/name] or [name]Bambi[/name]
[name]Scarlette[/name] - Why the added ‘te’? [name]Scarlet[/name] is a beautiful name, [name]Scarlette[/name] look yoo-neek imo.
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name]) - I love [name]Helena[/name] and thinks it is a classic and beautiful name!
[name]Mirabella[/name] - Not a fan of [name]Bella[/name] names, this isn’t an exception!
[name]Jemima[/name] - I think that [name]Jemima[/name] is well ready to move on from its roots. I have met [name]Jemima[/name]'s in the UK and it is a beautiful and sassy name.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - love it!
[name]Maisie[/name] - really not a fan of this name.
Jozeffa - looks yoo-neek.

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name] - I think you are doing [name]Carston[/name] a disservice by placing it on the back burner to [name]Rephael[/name].
[name]Benjamin[/name] - over used.
[name]Jasper[/name] - love it.
[name]Eleazar[/name] - meh.
[name]Jonas[/name] - brothers.
[name]Gideon[/name] - love it.
[name]Jesse[/name] - I love this name best out of all your names. such a masculine but simple name!
[name]Gable[/name] - I would rather [name]Gabe[/name].
Ashild - made up name. really don’t like it!

Ulicia ([name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it?) - is this supposed to be [name]Alicia[/name]?
[name]Cammeo[/name] ugh can’t you spell it right? [name]Cameo[/name] is the name of a good friend of mine and it is kind of cool.
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names) Liat isn’t even a name.
[name]Damian[/name] - meh not a fan

Not a problem, enorgeousmous is awful! Keep a stiff upper lip, darling!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

Thank you for your opinion, but I do have to clear up a few things.

[name]Fallon[/name] is a surname, which has been used on boys, but has been used primarily on girls recently- I think [name]Fallon[/name] was on a soap opera, but I first heard it as one of the princes in my neices [name]Barbie[/name] movies.

Ulicia is it’s own name pronounced oo-lis-c-uh

Ashild is not made up, it’s a nordic name that means ‘one who fights for God’

Liat is a name, it’s french, it means ‘You are mine’

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] (that Y has grace)- Beautiful, romantic
[name]Marion[/name]-[name]Lovely[/name], though if you are going for the Maid [name]Marian[/name] reference it’s with an “A.”
[name]Evangeline[/name]-Sounds like a dreamer; lovely.
Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name])-She may have a tough time with job applications, but I can’t resist this name either!
[name]Elaney[/name] (Would you pronounce this [name]El[/name]-uh-nee, or E-lay-nEE? Would you quickly transition to the first pronounciation when I told you?) I would say Eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nee. This sounds awful when I say it (but I have a Southern accent so maybe that’s why?). If you are going for a variant of [name]Elaine[/name], maybe [name]Elena[/name]?
[name]Fallon[/name]- My first impression is lower-class. I’m not sure why.
[name]Ireland[/name]- Seems like it’s trying to hard.
Diella (Would you say Die-[name]Ella[/name]? Or D-ella? Are you happy to know that I prefer the version where ”ella” is kept alive?)-[name]Even[/name] if this is a real name, I agree it does look made up. You have much better names on here.
Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] said it first)- I see the appeal, but I think the suggestion of [name]Seren[/name] was spot on!
[name]Scarlette[/name]- Seems feisty, but romantic.
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name])-[name]Noble[/name], beautiful name.
[name]Mirabella[/name]-Cute
[name]Jemima[/name] (Could my spunky daughter over-come the sad connotations, this is one of my very favorite names!)-I would never use this b/c of the syrup, but it seems to get a lot of love on here. The sounds is nice.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name])-You can’t go wrong with this. Anyone would hire an [name]Elizabeth[/name].
[name]Maisie[/name]-Cute, but it would be hard to take this person seriously. [name]May[/name] work better as a nickname.
Jozeffa-If I had not read the posts I would have thought this was a youneek name and would not take this person seriously.

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name] (We would call him [name]Rafe[/name], as his nn, mn [name]Raphael[/name], no I don”t want to name him [name]Raphael[/name], I want to name him [name]Carston[/name]; I would use both names equally)-[name]Carston[/name] sounds like it’s trying really hard to be “trendy but different.”
[name]Benjamin[/name]-You can’t go wrong with this.
[name]Jasper[/name]-Seems sly, fun.
[name]Eleazar[/name]-Super-villian. Maybe hunts smurfs.
[name]Jonas[/name]-Trendy, but nice.
[name]Gideon[/name]-Sounds like a very serious, studious person.
[name]Jesse[/name]-All the girls will love him.
[name]Gable[/name]-“My parents thought this would make me seem cool.”
Ashild-This sounds made-up to me. [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Ashton[/name]…it may get confusing with all the [name]Ash[/name]'s.

Ulicia ([name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it?) I wouldn’t even attempt to pronounce this.
[name]Cammeo[/name] (I would use this if I ever gave birth to/ adopted a premature baby)-Let’s hope that doesn’t happen.
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names) I love [name]Lila[/name]; I’ve never heard Liat. It makes me think of Fiat.
[name]Damian[/name] (in ten more years will everyone be over the horror movie many in my own generation have never seen? [name]Just[/name] to be clear, this is a boy’s name)-I would not let my daughter marry this person.

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name], and I mean that. This name has grace and charm and always brings to mind the [name]Gwendolen[/name] in The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name].
[name]Marion[/name]- Hmm, I have an uncle [name]Marion[/name] (he doesnt go by that though). Despite its feminine qualities I still dont think it sounds that graceful on a girl. [name]Miriam[/name] or [name]Marilyn[/name] would be better imo.
[name]Evangeline[/name]- I dont like this name at all. It sounds like a word to me, and just lacks overall flow.
Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name])- This is a little over the top for me. I love flower names but the [name]Tiger[/name] part is what bothers me. I wouldnt expect a girl named Tigerlilly to like her name.
[name]Elaney[/name] (Would you pronounce this [name]El[/name]-uh-nee, or E-lay-nEE? Would you quickly transition to the first pronounciation when I told you?)- I would prn it Eh-lane-ee, the first one wouldnt even occur to me. [name]Ive[/name] seen [name]Eleni[/name] before, I think that spelling might make more sense.
[name]Fallon[/name]- Eh, I just dont like it.
[name]Ireland[/name]- Im usually not a fan of place names but I can tolerate [name]Ireland[/name]. It has a pretty sound to it. I picture an [name]Ireland[/name] being smart and independent.
Diella (Would you say Die-[name]Ella[/name]? Or D-ella? Are you happy to know that I prefer the version where ”ella” is kept alive?)- I would say it as Die-ella. It doesnt sound all that pretty imo, and it looks made up.
Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] said it first)- Maybe a cool mn but I wouldnt want my name to be Siren.
[name]Scarlette[/name]- I prefer the [name]Scarlett[/name] spelling. This is a pretty classical name has an edge to it. I would expect a [name]Scarlett[/name] to be a little rebelious.
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name])-I think it is pretty when prounounced Heh-layn-uh, I dont much care for the others.
[name]Mirabella[/name]- A little to fufu imo. I cant imagine an adult women going by [name]Mirabella[/name], but I guess [name]Mira[/name] would work.
[name]Jemima[/name] (Could my spunky daughter over-come the sad connotations, this is one of my very favorite names!)- pancake syrup, sorry thats all I see.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name])- [name]Elizabeth[/name] is beautiful and it will never go out of style. This is one name that you can never go wrong with.
[name]Maisie[/name]- Cute and spunky, but maybe a little too cute. [name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maisie[/name]” would be nice.
Jozeffa- eh, I like [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Josephina[/name] but Jozeffa is just okay.

I’ll comment on the boys list later.

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] (that Y has grace) I really don’t like it. I don’t like the “dol” syllable I think.
[name]Marion[/name] eh okay. I think of [name]Marion[/name] the Librarian. so I would probably sing that to the kid…
[name]Evangeline[/name] Pretty.
Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name]) Honestly, I think this would be better if Tigerlilly was a nickname. weird example but like [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]’ name is from Smiley. She could be “my Tigerlilly” and then call her [name]Tilly[/name] from that, so she has “real” name on class roles, diplomas. My brother is named [name]William[/name], but everyone calls him [name]Bo[/name] because I said that instead of Brother at a young age, so nicknames can come from anywhere, not just the first name.
[name]Elaney[/name] (Would you pronounce this [name]El[/name]-uh-nee, or E-lay-nEE? Would you quickly transition to the first pronounciation when I told you?) I say E-lay-nee. but it looks like fake [name]Elaine[/name] to me.
[name]Fallon[/name] eh…too much connected with [name]Jimmy[/name] [name]Fallon[/name], who I love, but I don’t see on a little girl .
[name]Ireland[/name] eh.
Diella (Would you say Die-[name]Ella[/name]? Or D-ella? Are you happy to know that I prefer the version where ”ella” is kept alive?) I don’t really like it. and I would say die-ella and be confused.
Siren (The S from [name]Selma[/name], the [name]Iren[/name] from [name]Irene[/name], named for my two grandmothers; Siren means the Singer and let”s face it ladies, it”s cool to be bad, I think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] said it first) Sure sirens are sexy and cool, but do you want your three-year old to be sexy and cool?
[name]Scarlette[/name]-I much prefer [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name])-I like [name]Helena[/name], but not [name]Enna[/name]. and Are you saying it Hell-enna? because I like Huh-lee-nuh better.
[name]Mirabella[/name]-cuteish
[name]Jemima[/name] (Could my spunky daughter over-come the sad connotations, this is one of my very favorite names!)-Go with [name]Jemma[/name] or something. Or move to [name]Britain[/name] where Puddle-duck overrules syrup…
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (I know, so popular, so, so popular, but so, so beautiful; nn [name]Eliza[/name])-Is it really that popular as a first name? I would just name her [name]Eliza[/name] if you like that.
[name]Maisie[/name]-too pet sounding.
Jozeffa-The biggest slut in my high school was name that. Everyone put a really big emphasis on the ho part of her name.

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name] (We would call him [name]Rafe[/name], as his nn, mn [name]Raphael[/name], no I don”t want to name him [name]Raphael[/name], I want to name him [name]Carston[/name]; I would use both names equally)-I don’t really understand the whole mn as nn thing. and I don’t like either name.
[name]Benjamin[/name]-[name]Love[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]-[name]Love[/name]
[name]Eleazar[/name]-like old manish maybe ?
[name]Jonas[/name]-[name]Jonah[/name] is better.
[name]Gideon[/name]-cute
[name]Jesse[/name]-doesn’t really go with the biblical feel you have
[name]Gable[/name]-kind of girlie to me
Ashild-I don’t know how to say this

Ulicia ([name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it?)-like [name]Alicia[/name] with a U? and I don’t like it.
[name]Cammeo[/name] (I would use this if I ever gave birth to/ adopted a premature baby)-If you going to do a noun name, spell it right. [name]Cameo[/name]. and is it boy’s name?
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names)-too close. and [name]Lila[/name] is better.
[name]Damian[/name] (in ten more years will everyone be over the horror movie many in my own generation have never seen? [name]Just[/name] to be clear, this is a boy’s name)-I know [name]Damian[/name]'s that are cool and aren’t associated too much with the films.

first of all I should probably mention, that I live in germany so my take on names might not mean anything to you at all with it being a different country and culture and that
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] It’s an allright name, it doesn’t look unprofessional, so I wouldn’t think it’d have a negative effect on employment. [name]Gwendolyn[/name] has such an historical english feel to it, a lady with long golden hair and fancy clothes.
[name]Marion[/name] I knew her as Maid [name]Marian[/name], so I didn’t make the connection :smiley: in german it would be pronounced as m[name]Ah[/name]-rion, and I don’t particularly like that. They way you’d probably pronounce it is better. [name]Do[/name] you think she might be in for teasing about the “Maid” [name]Marion[/name] thing around middle or high school? [name]Marion[/name] sounds very sober and professional.
[name]Evangeline[/name] this is forever the romantic novel heroine to me, thus rather unprofesional. If I had anything to say, and there was someone with the same qualifications, I wouldn’t employ the [name]Evangeline[/name]. I see a curly, long haired woman with a low-cut dress before me, who faints a lot.
Tigerlilly (my family and I love this name and have nicknamed ”her” [name]Tilly[/name]) - it’s great for a little girl, but not for an adult. The neverland stigma of never groing up it stuck to this name. I love it though. If only it didn’t seem so unprofessional, I imagine I might rather employ a [name]Lilly[/name] than a Tigerlilly. It does conjure the image of a beautiful girl though, one who won’t take crap from anyone(if you pardon my language).
[name]Elaney[/name] is it like [name]Melanie[/name] without the M? because I would have said E-[name]LAY[/name]-nee. I would adopt your spelling rather quickly I think and when you’re corrected about something you usually remember the name all the better. It looks like a letter is missing and that’s never professional looking. I see the image of a very trendy girl before me.
[name]Fallon[/name] I see [name]Jimmy[/name] [name]Fallon[/name] before me. [name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, he is not an ugly man, but that’s hardly the image you want for a girl, is it? that is certainly not a professional sounding name. I wouldn’t mind it on my daughter-in-law, but if my son told me he wanted to introduce me to [name]Fallon[/name], I’d certainly not expect a girl.
[name]Ireland[/name] - Some celebrity has done it, I’m pretty sure about that, so that’s proof it works. [name]Little[/name] [name]Ireland[/name] Whatsername might be successful in Showbiz if the parents pull some strings, but for ordinary people it doesn’t seem practical.
It’s a freckled red-haired girl asking you why on earth you named her after a country. I’m sorry, but I don’t think it makes a good name and from an employers kind of view it doesn’t seem very professional. And that’s coming from the girl who loves [name]Ireland[/name] so much she’ll go there as an Au-Pair in two weeks time.
Diella - Die-[name]Ella[/name]? that’s a little harsh, isn’t it? I’d have said Diyella. It’s a little exotic and I see a tanned elly-dancer in a jewellery-encrusted bra before me. (Bless me and my imagination).
Siren - yeah, well, sounds unprofessional, little doubt there. It does conjure the image of a very beautiful woman indeed though. Honouring family is always great, combining names not always, but I think you did pretty well here.
[name]Scarlette[/name] - Are you annoyed with me finding all your names unprofessional yet? because I kind of am, sorry. It’s another romantic novel heroine name. Very beautiful woman, but unsuitable name for, say, an accountant.
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Enna[/name]) - That is such a great name, classic, beautiful, professional ([name]Io[/name] behold xD). Great choice. Since I knew a [name]Helena[/name] that name is connected to her and she was a pretty blonde girl, so that’s the image I get.
[name]Mirabella[/name] - slightly unprofessional, it’s brilliant for a little girl, because it’s utterly sweet, but for a middle-aged woman, not so much. Blonde and Curly she’d be, with blue eyes and possibly dimples.
[name]Jemima[/name] - A little like [name]Mirabella[/name], great for a little girl and wouldn’t you love to visit a Granny [name]Jemima[/name]? I know I would. When you grow up with her and see her aging, I think it would become a name suitable for an adult though. Professional enough for me.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - you can hardly argue with this name, it’s professionality level is hard to see, as it’s up there in the clouds somewehere.
[name]Lovely[/name] name for a daughter-in-law or very much anything and everybody. White curly wig, huge dresses and a crown(because of [name]Queen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] of [name]England[/name]) xD
[name]Maisie[/name] - very much exactly what I wrote about [name]Mirabella[/name], unbearable cute, but [name]Maisie[/name] the accountant? I don’t think so.
I see a granny before me, Granny [name]Maisie[/name], with a gently face, grey hair and some freshly-baked pie in hands.
Jozeffa - unless you consider changing it to [name]Josepha[/name] this is pretty much out of the question for me. Creative spellings never seem professional. And although you might think I’m crazy Jozeffa is wearing a stick-on-beard in my mental image.

Boys:

[name]Carston[/name] [name]Rafe[/name] is a little far-fetched as a nickname for this, but who cares? there is [name]Karsten[/name]/[name]Carsten[/name] as the usual german spelling of this name, so I have a hard time adjusting to this variation. As far as professionality goes it’s a good name.
Very handsome image coming up there, brown hair, sporty, great smile :3
[name]Benjamin[/name] I know a [name]Benjamin[/name], who is not the greatest ever person to associate anyone with. He’s a little slow and fussy, so that’s what I see when I hear the name and also there’s a certain elephant by that name. Never mind me however, it’S very professional and [name]Ben[/name] is a very nice nickname.
[name]Jasper[/name] I think of [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Horace[/name], from 101 Dalmatians, who were criminals. So I see a Gangster in a trenchcoat and scarf, trying to find little puppies. Professional though.
[name]Eleazar[/name] no associations whatsoever, never heard of it. Does sound more like a girls name to me. Might bring some gender confusions throughout his life.
[name]Jonas[/name] - I see a [name]Jonas[/name] brother before me. One of those dark curled ones, surrounded by about a milion screaming fangirls. I did know a [name]Jonas[/name] who was rather nice and blonde though. It does sound professional, but I could never imagine [name]Jonas[/name] to grow up to be a man.
[name]Gideon[/name] - You won’t know what I’m talking about , but it’s got an evil ring to it. ([name]Scott[/name] Pilgrim vs the World is a movie that just hit theathers and it’s connected to that, again, never mind me) thanks to that I see [name]Jason[/name] Schwarzman before me. Professional.
[name]Jesse[/name] - Thanks to [name]Jesse[/name] [name]James[/name], there might be some bad associations. I always thought it wouldn’t work well for a man and it doesn’t sound very professional.
[name]Gable[/name] - [name]Clark[/name] [name]Gable[/name], hence I think of it as a family name, not suitable as a first name. I don’t know about professionality here, I’d say no, others might say yes.
Ashild - the -hild ending is female. [name]Brunhild[/name], Ragnhild, Frankhild and the like. IKt also sounds made up and thus unprofessional.

Ulicia - very much like [name]Alicia[/name], with the weirdness factor of a U in there. Not professional-sounding, but in everyday life, when everyone says [name]Alicia[/name] it seems practical enough-
[name]Cammeo[/name] All I think of are cameos in movies, not of a name. If the employer thought it was an italian name or something like that, they might find it professional enough. It’s got a mediterrean feel to it, olive skin, black hair.
[name]Lila[/name] & Liat (twins names) - too much alike, if you look like someone else you want your own distinguished names at least. Liat is also very close to Liar and not only is that a bad association, it’s also possibly provoking teasing.
[name]Damian[/name] - what horror movie? I think of [name]Liz[/name] Hurleys son. Good name. Slightly demonic sounding, but whatever.
[name]Just[/name] - It’s not a boys name it’s a word that should not be used as a name. Whenever he’s done something and tries to sneak of people will be shouting “[name]JUST[/name] a minute” after him, which can’t be fun the tenth time around. And even if he turns out a well-mannered little boy, he might always grudge you for not being a proper [name]Justin[/name].

If you made it through this: thanks for taking the time, sorry for any offence and take it easy, you will find the perfect name for any child you will find yourself with, no matter how helpful or unhelpful people(like me) are :3

[name]Marian[/name]/[name]Marion[/name] is interchangable in the legends as many believed her family to have come from [name]France[/name]. Afterall, it is one name, I think the french variant makes it young again.

Unfortunatly, I don’t really think [name]Seren[/name] is spot-on as I don’t like it.

Thank you for your time.

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name]

[name]Jesse[/name] is a biblical name.

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

Well, the professional thing did get a bit stale :wink: I sort of become at a loss, you understand, will [name]Mary[/name], [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] ever be the only ‘professional-sounding’ names?

You caught me on Ashild! Rats! It is a girls name, which no one here in the US has get to figure out- though being a name-nastic I still see it, which bothers me occasionaly. I dropped the E at the end and am prn. it [name]Ash[/name]-uld;it means ‘one who fights for God’ which sounded manly to me. I don’t know if I’ll ever use it, as you can see it’s at the bottom of the list.

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3