Thoughts on Noelle? Agree with Nameberry description?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you agree with Nameberry’s description of [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]? That it’s just “Feminissima, with a [name_m]French[/name_m] gloss.” I think the name is better than that. Of course I’m biased because my due date is just before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and we are thinking about using the name if we have a girl. I would love to hear your thoughts on the name. Thanks in advance!

I don’t necessarily agree with the nameberry definition…but I do find it one of two things: cliche, when given to a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, or misfit, when given to a baby at any other time of year. Pretty much I think I’m just not a fan of [name_f]Noelle[/name_f], so my opinion would be swayed in that direction, so that probably doesn’t give you what you were hoping for.

Thanks for your thoughts, jessblonde! I’m just wanting to hear what others think of the name.

I think it’s a lovely name but I admit feeling biased in the way [name_f]Jessamyn[/name_f] described-- at Christmastime, it seems [name_m]OTT[/name_m]. I definitely don’t think it’s ‘feminissima’ though; that would be names like [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] to me.

Is feminissima a bad thing, though? I find it really romantic and girly and fringing on frilly–I wouldn’t say it’s too froufrou, but it definitely is too sugary-sweet for me. I probably think that, though, because of the only [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] I knew, who had such a sugary-sweet personality that I could barely spend five minutes with her–and I’m a generally very happy, easy-going type of person! My sister also has a [name_m]French[/name_m] name that pretty much means “[name_u]Christmas[/name_u] day”, just like [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] does ([name_f]Natalie[/name_f]), so I’ve considered [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] in her honor, when [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] doesn’t really work, so I do like the name. I’m not sure I’d say it’s feminissima, but it definitely does have a [name_m]French[/name_m] lilt to it. It’s one of those names that I feel is more common anywhere but [name_f]France[/name_f], though.

I agree with @jessblonde that it feels sort of tacky on a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]-time baby, but I wouldn’t find it a misfit any other time. I think [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is really nice, though, and think the nns [name_f]Ella[/name_f]/[name_f]Elle[/name_f] and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] could be nice. I think [name_f]Nolie[/name_f]/[name_m]Nollie[/name_m] is downright adorable, though–it was [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] ten Boom’s sister’s nn (short for Arnolda, I think?), and ever since I realized a [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] could be [name_m]Nollie[/name_m], [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] has jumped in coolness for me. I love [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] ten Boom way too much for my own good, though, hehe. :slight_smile:

Were you thinking of [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] as a FN or a MN? I think something like [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] would be perfect for a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, though!

I definitely disagree with the description, I love [name_m]French[/name_m] name spellings better anyways, like [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] and [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] along with [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is a beautiful name, and its no more cliché than [name_f]Holly[/name_f] is. I love [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] anyways, and I think [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is a beautiful name ALL YEAR around!

Thanks for your thoughts! We would use it as a first name. The middle name will be from my husband’s culture. I might agree with you all about it being cliche but I don’t know any Noelles…and the name has grown on me a lot recently. Maybe having a [name_u]December[/name_u] due date casts a spell on moms ha ha. It’s also hard to find names that flow well with my husband’s last name and that we both like. He has vetoed [name_f]Margot[/name_f] :frowning: (I guess I do like [name_m]French[/name_m] names for girls)

Thank you, amf0224! That’s nice to hear! Though, personally, I don’t like [name_f]Holly[/name_f]…ha ha. But I’m glad others disagree with the description and find the name beautiful :slight_smile:

It’s a nice thing, to give a name connected to the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]/winter season. Personally I like all of the “light” names at [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]- they can have a religious connotation if you celebrate [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], or are connected to the old ideas about the solstice, or just celebrate the general season without being particularly [name_m]Christian[/name_m]. Names like [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Eliora[/name_f] (“my light”), [name_f]Claire[/name_f], and so on.

What’s the general structure of the baby’s surname going to be (syllables, dominant sounds)?

I’ve always liked [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]. I had a friend growing up who was born in [name_u]December[/name_u] and had [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] as a middle name. I don’t find it cheesy/cliche at all to bestow it on a baby born in [name_u]December[/name_u] (of course, I might be biased since my daughter’s name is [name_f]Natalya[/name_f] and her due date was around [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]).

I am part of a mom group with 40 some moms of dec babies. [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] was a favorite name but most who liked it ended up with boys and did not get to use it!

Gorgeous!!!

It’s great to hear some positive comments!

@blade - The baby’s surname is similar to “sun” and the middle name is not decided but will be two syllables (tradition). A first name with three or more syllables would probably be best but I’m just trying to avoid one syllable names. I’m more concerned with the the sound and flow with “sun.” It blends in with a lot of names and makes names with S sound hissy or sing-songy. It doesn’t seem like a difficult surname but it really is :frowning:

[name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is gorgeous!!! I love it. It’s always a pleasure to encounter a [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]. It’s very versatile, really; it’s familiar but not too common/popular at all. I don’t really think it’s cheesy for a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, nor is it out of place for a non-[name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby.

Sorry, I agree with the description of this one. As a middle name, it could be kind of cute but as a first, it’s a little cliche and tacky. There are so many subtle ways to connect the name to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], as a pp suggested. However, if you absolutely love the way the name sounds and the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] connection is just a nice bonus, go for it. I knew a girl once named [name_f]Marie[/name_f]-[name_f]Noelle[/name_f], and somehow the double-barrelled name made it seem so much fresher and prettier.

Oops! Double posted! Sorry!

Thanks, @youssarian, that’s nice to hear!

@peacebird10 - My [name_u]December[/name_u] due date made me think of the name but it’s not the only reason I like it. I guess I might also think it was cliche if I knew a single [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]… Hearing ‘tacky’ hurts a bit but I am asking for others’ opinions. Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]. I don’t love [name_f]Noelle[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] and don’t agree with nameberry at all. I’ve known lots of [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]'s and they have all been very different so maybe that’s why I don’t have an issue seeing it in a different way. I think the name can be very cool and classic. I also don’t really think it’s an issue to use the name right before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. It gives extra meaning to it and if that’s what you want to do do it!
Another suggestion if you want a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] name is [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] which means “born at [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]” and is another one of my favorites.

I love [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] at [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] or any other day of the year;)… I don’t get some of the negative views of the name! I love [name_m]French[/name_m] names in general and it is definitely not [name_m]OTT[/name_m]… feminine and soft name and is perfect for a [name_u]December[/name_u] baby… jmho… good luck!