Thoughts on these Obscure girl names?

I have some really obscure* girl names that I love, and I would love to hear you opinions on them, if you have heard of them before and their usability in real life!

Here they are:

Nevra - Turkish (my absolute favorite)
[name_f]Idelle[/name_f] - English (ie-[name_u]DEL[/name_u])
Eirlys - Welsh
Adeia - Greek (and perhaps African roots as well)
[name_f]Gioia[/name_f] - Italian (the Italian word for [name_f]Joy[/name_f])
Bodil - Scandinavian
[name_f]Nerys[/name_f] - Welsh[?] ("Perhaps an elaboration of Welsh ner “lord”, with the intended meaning of “lady”.)

*(I doubt this is the correct term to use, but I am drawing a blank thinking of a better one)

[If you know any more about these names, or see something wrong with the origins I gave, feel free to enlighten me :slight_smile: ]

I’ve never heard of any of these, but Nevra, [name_f]Idelle[/name_f], and Adeia seem to have a pretty sound. And I like the meaning of [name_f]Gioia[/name_f], just not sure how to pronounce them. I love that you like obscure names with different origins though!

And I believe that Gi- makes the J sound in Italian (or so I’m told). So it would basically just be [name_f]Joy[/name_f]-uh or [name_f]Joy[/name_f]-ah :slight_smile:

The only name I’m familiar with is Eiryls, and I love it! It’s so pretty and “snowdrop” is such a beautiful meaning!

Nevra, Adeia, and [name_f]Gioia[/name_f] are also interesting.

I’v heard of Eiryls and [name_f]Nerys[/name_f] before, both of which are lovely and totally usable!

Nevra sounds pretty too.

I’ve seen Eirlys, [name_f]Nerys[/name_f], and Adeia before, and I think they’re usable. My only issue with Eirlys is its similarity to “airless”.

I really like the sound of Nevra and [name_f]Idelle[/name_f], and they also seem usable. Not a big fan of Bodil, and neutral on [name_f]Gioia[/name_f].

There might be some pronunciation confusion for Eirlys, [name_f]Nerys[/name_f], and [name_f]Idelle[/name_f] (I keep reading it ee-[name_u]DEL[/name_u] rather than ie-[name_u]DEL[/name_u]), though.

I like [name_f]Idelle[/name_f] (but I personally think [name_f]Idalia[/name_f] has a better ring), Eirlys and Adeia!

Nevra is gorgeous! It reminds me of a late relative of mine whose name was [name_f]Nedra[/name_f], but I think Nevra is much prettier.

I’m liking Adeia really well, too. I’ve seen [name_f]Gioia[/name_f] before and really like it, and I’ve always pronounced it like [name_f]JOY[/name_f]-ah.

Nevra - I really like this…though it reminds me of a medicine name.
[name_f]Idelle[/name_f] - Honestly, I don’t see the appeal. It would probably get confused with [name_f]Adele[/name_f].
Eirlys - Not my style but cool.
Adeia - [name_f]Melodic[/name_f], but I still prefer [name_f]Amaia[/name_f].
[name_f]Gioia[/name_f] - Too many vowels.
Bodil - I can get on board with many clunky Scandinavian names, but this just does not sound nice to me.
[name_f]Nerys[/name_f] - See Eirlys. Reminds me of mermaids, as in [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f].

I love Adeia!

These are really beautiful! Nevra, Eirlys and Adeia are my personal favourites, but I think they’re all gorgeous and usable :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Nevra – I like this a lot. It has a great sound. You might like Novara, perhaps?
[name_f]Idelle[/name_f] – I don’t mind this. I prefer it to [name_f]Adele[/name_f] myself.
Eirlys – I do like this, but there is something about it that is offputting (I’m not sure just what it is though). I prefer Eirys myself.
Adeia – [name_f]Lovely[/name_f].
[name_f]Gioia[/name_f] – Gorgeous.
Bodil – I’m really not liking this one at all as I find it super heavy and makes me think of medication and Bovril.
[name_f]Nerys[/name_f] – I quite like it.

I have heard of Nevra, Adeia (there is a berry that used it for her daughter, I believe :wink: ), Bodil and [name_f]Gioia[/name_f] before.

But I like all the names you listed! They all sound very pleasant.

PS that berry is me :wink: so I naturally love it.

I like Nevra, [name_f]Idelle[/name_f] and Adeia. I much prefer [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] to [name_f]Nerys[/name_f]. If [name_f]Gioia[/name_f] is pronounced as [name_f]Joy[/name_f]-uh then I really like it, but I read it more as Jor-uh like in [name_m]Giorgio[/name_m] but my Italian definitely not anything to go by.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] found [name_f]Gioia[/name_f] on Nameberry, it says it’s pronounced [name_f]JOY[/name_f]-a. I really like it. It’s pretty and meaningful like [name_f]Joy[/name_f] but more modern, romantic and unusual than [name_f]Joy[/name_f].

Nevra: Nevra means nerves in Greece, so i dont really like it. But i think it could work on. It has a pretty sound.
[name_f]Gioia[/name_f] and Adeia are stunning though!

I like Nevra

One thing I’m always worried about with names I’ve never HEARD before is pronouncing them all wrong. Especially those in different languages. When I was younger I had an online pal I chatted with daily for a year or more before actually SPEAKING on skype and finding out that his name “[name_u]Dai[/name_u]”(which is the welsh equivilent of “[name_m]Dave[/name_m]”, A shortened form of “[name_m]David[/name_m]”) is actually pronounced “DIE” and not “[name_u]DAY[/name_u]”.

Thanks so much guys!