Time to Revive: "F" Names

[name_f]Fannie[/name_f] was my great great grandmother’s name and she was evidently as tough as an old boot. You’d have to be to wear that name nowadays, but it was popular then. I can’t say I’m arguing for it to come back so much as throwing it out there as a question. Could it ever come back?

[name_f]Francie[/name_f] was the name of one of my beloved [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] dolls and that is the only reason I have a secret fondness for it. I saw [name_f]Francie[/name_f] as Barbie’s European cousin. Any secret [name_f]Francie[/name_f] fans out there?

The F names I really want to meet more of – [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Fenella[/name_f], [name_f]Frederica[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Friedegard[/name_f], [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - well, they may never have been “in” in the US or they may be “coming back” on nameberry, but I’ve sure never met any. Well, actually one old [name_f]Faye[/name_f], but that’s it.

Additions or thoughts?

2 Likes

[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] alllll the way! I know only one [name_u]Flannery[/name_u], and I’ve always thought her name was just beautiful. Such a stunner!!

2 Likes

Oh, I agree. [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] O’Connor is an astounding writer which is why I am perennially perplexed that a) it’s not used more and b) people often seem to consider it a male name.

One of my sister’s old friends was [name_f]Faye[/name_f]! I never met the girl myself, since I never attended the school my sister met her at, but I remember that name.

Since my sister is thirteen, that would make this [name_f]Faye[/name_f] twelve or thirteen now, so… yeah.

Since my siblings all moved from that school to the one I started at, I’ve not heard a word about her in years, but even so. [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] like how I’ve not heard… uh, I think my sister said it was spelt ‘Ciara’? I’m not sure about the spelling, but you know what I’m going for whether it’s that spelling or not. Not heard about her recently.

Also, I love [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. Don’t think I’ve ever known one, but at the same time I feel like I have?

‘Course, I’m not sure if ‘F’ names are like more popular in the UK or anything. I’m in high school, and I think there’s only one girl with an ‘F’ name in my year group — [name_f]Faustina[/name_f] — but I might be wrong. I am not the kind of person who talks to many people, or keeps track of who people in my year are.

I swear I’ve mixed up half the blonde girls in the years I’ve been at the school…

2 Likes

[name_f]Fannie[/name_f] definitely isn’t ready for a comeback here in the UK, but my current fave show BBC Ghosts has a character called [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] and it’s kind of grown on me :woman_shrugging:t3:

[name_f]Francie[/name_f] is pretty fun but I never know whether to say it as Fran-see (Fran rhyming with can, like the start of Francesca) or France-ee (France like the country)

I absolutely love [name_u]Flannery[/name_u], [name_f]Faye[/name_f] and [name_f]Fenella[/name_f]! Also Frederica!! I taught a little Frederica!! And [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is in the UK top 10 -Ive met so many

[name_f]Flossie[/name_f] is one I’d like to see :slight_smile: i know [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is popular but I rarely hear any of them called [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] or Floss!!

2 Likes

Oh, I love [name_f]Flossie[/name_f]!

1 Like

glad someone else was thinking of Ghosts!

one of my all time favourite names is [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] <3 deserves sm more love !

other names i like:

• [name_u]Fable[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
  • Felicite
  • [name_f]Fenella[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Fern[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Francine[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Frida[/name_f]
4 Likes

[name_f]Fauna[/name_f] yes, I always forget that one.

[name_f]Fannie[/name_f] is actually on my list currently & now [name_f]Francie[/name_f] is too :heart: A similar name to [name_f]Francie[/name_f] would be Frenchie (obviously the most well known Frenchie being the Grease character). I also like [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] & [name_u]Fern[/name_u], but I don’t see [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] making a comeback anytime soon. I also don’t mind [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] and think it has some potential.

1 Like

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] & [name_f]Faye[/name_f] don’t seem like names in need of a revival. They seem fairly popular at the moment, especially [name_f]Freya[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Fenella[/name_f]! It doesn’t feel “old”, just unique :slightly_smiling_face:

I also like the suggestions of [name_f]Frida[/name_f] & [name_f]Flossie[/name_f].

One that hasn’t been mentioned is Fliss - a nickname of [name_f]Felicity[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_f]Francine[/name_f] 100%. I feel like [name_u]Fern[/name_u] might be considered dated too.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen Fliss anywhere except as a brief mention in [name_f]Lily[/name_f] Alone — the bit where she lies about her sister’s name (which is Bliss) as it being ‘Fliss’ to someone… possibly in a bathroom? I haven’t read the book in years, but I remember this one tiny detail for some reason?

If I ever name a character [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (which… I have tried to do… and then promptly abandoned the project), she’ll be using Fliss, as I intended for said abandoned project. I don’t intend to have kids myself, so characters it is for basically any names I like!

1 Like

Oh, [name_u]Fern[/name_u]! I love that — and I did use that one on a character for something I didn’t abandon!

Of course, that [name_u]Fern[/name_u] was a boy, but I still used it.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Francie[/name_f]! It’s the main character’s name in A Tree Grows in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], one of my all-time favorite books. I like [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] (for a girl!) too.

The family of Flora/Florence/Florrie/Flossie would be my other suggestions. And [name_f]Faye[/name_f] is definitely not one I see on young people, which I guess might be a regional thing. I’d like to see it used more!

2 Likes

Yes to [name_u]Fern[/name_u]. Such a neat, tidy little nature name.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Frannie[/name_u] and [name_f]Fannie[/name_f] (though I prefer Fanny)!! [name_f]Francine[/name_f] and [name_f]Frances[/name_f] are both great. I also adore [name_f]Frederica[/name_f] and [name_f]Frida[/name_f] :orange_heart:

1 Like

Oh, F names are my favorite!

[name_f]Fannie[/name_f] is not ready for a comeback yet. In [name_u]America[/name_u] it might work as a nickname but it’s, well, not ready. I love [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Faye[/name_f]. Looking at nameberry you’d think there were little ones running everywhere, but I’ve never met either! [name_f]Friedegard[/name_f] is soo sweet.

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] was the name of my beautiful, tough Abuela. She was one of the greatest women I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Sweet, strong, and feisty. The name fit her so well!

[name_u]Fern[/name_u] is one of my top choices for real-baby. I also love sweet [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Fawn[/name_f], [name_f]Frida[/name_f], and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] — though [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] has been strongly vetoed for any real use for me, I still like it.

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] has been making a steady comeback.

1 Like

Yes, I wish nameberries had the naming of the world’s babies left to them. Then maybe I’d meet a [name_f]Freya[/name_f] before I die!

F names are definitely underused. I wonder why. It’s not an unpleasant or harsh sound to my ear and as far as I know it’s not a sound people typically struggle with, like S or Tr (hard for me not to pronounce like Chr).

I’ve never been a [name_f]Francie[/name_f] fan, but I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]. It seems like more people are even considering [name_f]Francine[/name_f], which isn’t my favorite. I think [name_f]Fannie[/name_f] is the very least likely of the variants to come back.

I love [name_f]Faye[/name_f] (although this fondness may also stem from a beloved childhood toy, a stuffed moose). [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is also a favorite, and [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] if I could pronounce it correctly. I knew a [name_f]Frederica[/name_f] who pronounced it like [name_f]Erica[/name_f] - I’m not sure if that’s the usual pronunciation but it’s very melodic that way.

Of course, [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is also a beautiful name and not unheard of.

1 Like

Yes to [name_f]Faye[/name_f]! I had a childhood friend whose middle name was [name_f]Faye[/name_f] or [name_f]Fay[/name_f] (can’t remember!), but otherwise have not met one. Fell in love recently after reading The [name_u]Nix[/name_u] by [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] [name_m]Hill[/name_m].

1 Like