Too out there? Wavy/Wavey/Wavie

Hi all.

Ok, we are days (if not hours) away now, and we are stressing. We want a “W” name, and had [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] set aside forever. Then we thought we might like [name_u]Wren[/name_u], but we’re not sure. I hate [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] (just a negative personal association) but I do love Wavy. Or Wavey. Or Wavie. Possibly with the middle name [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

Would love some feedback on this! Is it too out there? We are not surfers, or even hippy-dippy types at all, but we love the ocean, and I love the visual of rolling waves in open water.

Also, how would you spell it if the middle name was [name_f]Jane[/name_f]? Or possibly [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]?

Sorry… so many questions… haha. Thanks in advance!!

4 Likes

Love [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
Not sure on Wavie [name_f]Jane[/name_f] though? Sorry
Waive ( how I would spell it) is nice but I think you need a strong middle name like Waive [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

1 Like

I think you should go with [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] though :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I also love [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]! :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re set on Wavy, I like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] as a middle as well due to personal preference of not repeating the “a” sound with Wavy [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

Another W name ending with the “ie” / “y” sound could be [name_f]Wendy[/name_f]? [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] or [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] sound nice!

2 Likes

I would go with [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]! I also love [name_u]Willow[/name_u] if you’re open to additional suggestions!

2 Likes

Wavie is very cute, and this is my preferred spelling. I don’t think it’s TOO out there, but I think the “ie” sound paired with it being an unusual name make it seem very nicknamey. She would fit in with classmates, I’m sure-“Wavie, [name_u]Blakely[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_m]Archie[/name_m] etc”- but I have a hard time seeing the name grow with a woman all throughout her life.

I really like both [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] has the whimsy of Wavie because of the “ie” ending, but is more solid and recognizable. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is beautiful and versatile.

Perhaps you could find a way to make Wavie a nn for a combo of the others?

Winnie [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] “Wavi”
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] “Wavi”

Willow also has nature/ water associations if you haven’t considered that!

What about the name [name_u]Waverly[/name_u]? Wavey would be such a cute nickname without being too “out there”.

Winnie and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] would be fantastic choices! I don’t like Wavy, Wavey or Wavie, sorry.
I love @MG1257’s suggestion of [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and @rainberry’s suggestion of [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] . Have you thought about [name_f]Wanda[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u], [name_u]Whitney[/name_u], [name_f]Winslet[/name_f], [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f], [name_f]Wildflower[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and Wildrose.

2 Likes

You could also call her Wave or [name_f]Ava[/name_f] as other nicknames

how about [name_f]Ondine[/name_f], which means Wave? Wave/Wavie could be such an adorable nickname!!

Good luck!

Wavy isn’t really my thing, sorry. I do love [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] or [name_u]Wren[/name_u], though! Maybe [name_f]Wrenley[/name_f]?

1 Like

So many great options!
[name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] are both great choices!
I do happen to like Wavy/Wavie. I don’t think it’s too out there. I really like the ocean connection. I would personally spell it Wavy, but Wavie and Wavey could work!
I like [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], and Wavy [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]! I love the suggestion of [name_u]Willow[/name_u], too!
Some other suggestions (any repeat is a second vote!):
[name_u]Wade[/name_u] (a bit more masculine/unisex though!)
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_f]Westerly[/name_f]
[name_f]Whimsy[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Windy[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Winona[/name_f]
[name_f]Winry[/name_f]
[name_f]Winslet[/name_f]
[name_f]Winsome[/name_f]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]
[name_f]Wrenley[/name_f]

and I second the suggestion of a W first and V middle to get to Wavy! [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]?

2 Likes

Wavy feels a little too descriptive. I think I’d prefer just Wave [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn Wavy

Otherwise [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] are lovely! I think you should take all three with you and see what suits her

So sorry, just seeing your comment about the name [name_u]Waverly[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] bad!

To me, Wavie sounds more like a nickname than a name and is too far out there. I like Wren Josephine. Winnie Jane and Willow Jane also sound very nice! Good luck deciding!

4 Likes

Good luck!!!
Im just going to say, Wavie sounds really cool, but i think it needs to be a nickname for something, maybe initials?

1 Like

Seconded!

Wavy is kind of odd. I could see it working better as a nickname for Wave but I don’t really like it.

A non-W name that is close: [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] nn Maevie or [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] nn Mavie.

I actually know a little Wavy. It seemed quite out there initially and while I’m not a massive fan of it I do think it’s usable. There is something quite pretty about it, I just wouldn’t use it myself. Wavy is my preferred spelling. Go for it if you love it! Wavy [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and Wavy [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] both work but I’d probably go with [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. Something about its length adds some heft to Wavy.

Wavy/Wavie/Wavey is cute, but I would personally use it as a nickname. I really like the previous suggestion of getting to Wavy from W. V. initials! As for your other options, I’m a fan of both! I think [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] stands on its own better than Wavy and it’s just so sweet. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] has such a pretty sound and I like the nature connection.

I don’t think Wavy works. What about [name_u]Winslow[/name_u] or [name_f]Winona[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]? You could also use [name_u]Wynn[/name_u] or [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] are some other W name options.