Too ridiculous?

So I’m currently expecting my eighth baby. I want to use the name Octavia/Octavian for the baby so badly.

But I almost feel like its ridulous to name my eighth baby a name that means “eighth.” Like its too on the nose. I don’t want my baby’s name to feel like a joke.

I do legitimately like the names and they fit all my other naming “rules.” They also fit fairly well with my other kids’ names.

Its also wont be obvious that baby is kid #8. This baby is actually only my husbands 5th. [name_f]My[/name_f] older kids will be 16 & 14 years older than the baby, so they wont necessarily always be in a group together. And beyond all that, my third child passed away, so there won’t actually be all 8 of my children together; the name itself is more of a subtle nod to all my kids including my third.

Sorry for the novel. Lol. Someone please just tell me if i am or am not crazy for considering using Octavia/Octavian. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I don’t think you are! It is a nice symbolism and I am sure it will be something fun to remember by your child.

3 Likes

Its fine! Definitely not a joke

1 Like

I think it’s fine! If your child asks about it, I think you could just explain that you really loved the name, and the meaning of “eighth” was just a bonus fun factor!

2 Likes

It’s not silly, I think—it’s delightful. :two_hearts: I like it a lot! Especially as it includes your third in the birth order… I think that’s special.

5 Likes

I think it’s a fun nod- not ridiculous at all!!

It sounds less ridiculous than calling the second child eighth? It’s kind of nice to see it being used appropriately! [name_m]Just[/name_m] perhaps paired with a very special middle name as well.

1 Like

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is a lovely name. There’s nothing ridiculous in choosing it at all. Go ahead!

I’m with @Kiriko, I don’t think I’d want to use a number name like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] myself unless she really was the eighth!

1 Like

It’s not too obvious. I agree that it’s more of a sweet side note than it is jokey. Also, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_m]Octavian[/name_m] are such wonderful names, I say go for it

I think it’s completely fine I actually think it’s delightful such a lovely way to pay tribute to being a mother of eight children (I’m so sorry about the loss of your third :white_heart:) and they are genuinely stunning names.

Follow your heart 🩷

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is actually [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] because I was the eighth grandchild born on my father’s side! I love the name so much and think it’s so special and unique! For sure you should use it! It is a beautiful name with a lovely meaning.
:heart:

4 Likes

Not ridiculous at all! That is how the name would have been used historically! [name_m]Septimus[/name_m], [name_m]Tertius[/name_m], etc. all came about because of birth order being a thing! (If I’m wrong about that, I hope someone will fact check me)

1 Like

Not crazy at all. [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_m]Octavian[/name_m] are fabulous, go for it.

I actually find it more weird to have an [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] that isn’t the 8th child. And given your story of loss it is a really nice way to honour your third child. All in all it’s perfect. I do like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] as a name but have been put off by the meaning 8th as I doubt I will have 8 children, so it’s perfect for you. Also love [name_f]Ottavia[/name_f].

1 Like

I also love how it sort of locks in that your 3rd child is there too. I had a nephew who was stillborn and I can see how they sort of get ‘lost’ amongst the living. [name_f]Do[/name_f] I tell people my sister’s got 3 kids or 4? Because he’s special, he’ll always be her baby, always be my nephew, but she’s only got 3 living kids that people see.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re crazy - it’s a solid, familiar name, it might make people smile if they do know, and you clearly like it!

1 Like

I love your idea to use [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] or [name_m]Octavian[/name_m].

I love it

I love the symbolism and the nod to your little one, I would use it!

1 Like