Triplet names

This summer I’ve worked at a day care and today I met three triplet girls named [name]Lola[/name], [name]Lilly[/name], and [name]Lucy[/name].
It got me thinking of what I would name my girls if I had triplets. What are your guys’ thoughts on the similar names for twins or triplets?

I think it’s silly really. They already share so much and now your going to give them similar names so they can be mixed up even more than they already will be? If I had triplets (which hopefully I won’t) I would treat them like they were going to be individual births and give them each names that were distinctly different yet sounded good together because they would be said together a lot.

That being said, I have best friends who happen to be fraternal triplet girls. There mom wanted their names all to start with a “K” to match hers but there dad wanted one of there names to start with the same letter as his, so two of them have names that match (with the exact same initials) and one has a completely different sounding name with completely different initials. They sound fine together but I always felt a little bad for the one sister because people would always ask her why her name doesn’t start with a “K”. So I think if you want to be matchy and similar then go all out and name all three similar names, and not just two similar and one different because the one could feel left out.

I hate it when people give multiples names they wouldn’t give to just regular siblings. They already are going to have the same room, the same clothes (less so for boy/girl multiples but probably some sharing even then), the same peer group, the same classes and teachers all through high school. And even same sex fraternal twins can be hard for other, non-family members to tell apart. Why add one more thing to confuse them? Why do they always have to be part of a set? If i had multiples I’d give them the names I’d already picked out for a regular sib-set

I know three sets of triplets:
[name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivia[/name_f]. I really love the sound of their names together. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivia[/name_f] are identical and [name_u]Harper[/name_u] is fraternal, but they’re like the [name_m]Olsen[/name_m] twins, it’s hard to believe that they’re not all identical.

[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f], Abigaille and Tabian. Also known as [name_u]Gabby[/name_u], [name_u]Abby[/name_u] and [name_f]Tabby[/name_f]. I like their names (not so sure about how they spelled Abigaille), but I don’t like how similar their nicknames are. They’re also always dressed the same and have their personal colours. [name_u]Gabby[/name_u]'s only in purple and light blue , [name_u]Abby[/name_u]'s only in orange and red, and [name_f]Tabby[/name_f]'s only in dark blue and green. [name_u]Gabby[/name_u] and [name_u]Abby[/name_u] are identical and [name_f]Tabby[/name_f] is their fraternal brother.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_u]Demeter[/name_u] and Khione. I like their names because, they don’t really sound alike, but they’re names of Greek [name_f]Goddess[/name_f], so they have that main thing in common. They’re only 10 months, but as far as we know they’re all identical.

1 Like

[name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are sweet. A bit matchy for me, but still sweet. If I had twin girls, they’d be [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], without a doubt. All feminine, girly, even, but not over-the-top frilly. Plus, I like the Biblical ties in each, and I love all three together. I can just imagine me with a [name_f]Bella[/name_f], an [name_u]Ari[/name_u], and a [name_f]Livy[/name_f]. I would love it.

I wouldn’t make them matchy, but I would use names I really loved.

I have only known/known of one set of triplets:

[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Joyce[/name_u]. I didn’t really keep in contact with their mom after they were born, but I think she had the intention of calling [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] a smoosh of their names for nns–[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] for [name_f]Helena[/name_f], and Novi for [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. So it would have been [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], Novi, and [name_f]Anna[/name_f].

1 Like

If I had multiples I would definitely want their names to be phonetically distinct…but I don’t think I could resist a theme. [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Lola[/name_f]? No. [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]? Yes.

My cousins are triplets. Their names are [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_u]Sam[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Mitchell[/name_m]. They were born in 1990. All girl triplets is tough. I’d have an easier time naming all boy triplets! I don’t like the idea of matchy names at all for siblings, twins, triplets, quads, whatever. I think it’s cliche and twee. Some names sound smashing together and aren’t tied by letters or themes. For girl triplets, if I had them right now, without much time to think about it, I’d name them: [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. That’s without much thought. Boy triplets: [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

I know triplets called [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] and [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] born in 1998. They have no middle names as “it was hard enough coming up with 3 names”. They are also very common names in that time.
Personally I think it was a waste.
I’d name triplets very carefully and not matchy. I’d love to name triplets, looking after them would be very hard but rewarding.

Old thread I know, but I love this topic!
I’m one of fraternal/identical mixed triplet girls. We are [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_u]Michele[/name_u] (the singleton), [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (my identical twin), and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f] (me!)
I also am close friends with a set of triplets who are [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_u]Evan[/name_u] and [name_u]Conner[/name_u] and then have a younger sister [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u]. i [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] their names.
If I were to have twin girls I’d name them [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]–they sound similar but not TOO similar.
Multiples fight hard enough for their own identity…[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t make their names too close to tell apart.

With multiples my preference is to avoid similar sounds or the same initials.
However, I do think that it is super sweet for multiples to get names with connections, like the same meaning, all being Greek goddesses as someone suggested above, or similar.

I wouldn’t name them completely different names, as I would if they were just siblings. Right now they would [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] & [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]([name_f]Tillie[/name_f], [name_f]Bea[/name_f] & Lady) or [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] & [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] ([name_f]Tillie[/name_f], [name_f]Bea[/name_f] & [name_u]Clem[/name_u]) for girls. For boy’s I’ve always dreamed of [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] & [name_u]Jude[/name_u] but my partner isn’t keen on [name_u]Noah[/name_u] or [name_u]Jude[/name_u] so I do think that right now it would more likely be [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Zachary[/name_m].

I’m not a fan of matcy names, but as pp’s have said, themes in multiples is okay. Personally I’d just use my top 3 names, even though they’re quite different in style; [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f], & [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. But I’d rather use names I love for multiples, regardless of style/theme (unless they’re too matchy), than use names I’m not as happy with.

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Raphaela[/name_f], and [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] would be my picks.

I know triplets called [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] and [name_f]Amber[/name_f]. I think their names flow quite nicely together.
I wouldn’t want anything too matchy because its already hard to be seen as individuals.

Boy triplets: [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
Girl Triplets: [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_u]Michele[/name_u]
2 Boys 1 Girl: [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
2 Girls 1 Boy: [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] , [name_f]Alouette[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], Niklaus [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]

I dislike matchy names on multiples. However, when I am trying to fall asleep at night, I often come up with twin or triplet names for each letter of the alphabet.

Parenting multiples looks incredibly hard. If I did have triplets, I would want their names to be distinct- so much so that I would not want to repeat intital letters. For instance, I would name two daughters [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], but not if they were twins or triplets. Right now, I think I would go with [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], and [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]. The middle names are a whole other thing- I like family middles, but if you have three kids at once, and you don’t honor every single possible family member, will some relatives inevitably be offended?

I don’t like the phonetic similarity for multiples either. Those names are too close.

[name_f]My[/name_f] choices:
Girls- [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] ([name_f]Maisie[/name_f]), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ([name_f]Betty[/name_f]), & [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] ([name_f]Kate[/name_f])
Boys- [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], & [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]

I agree with many others. I don’t like matchy names, especially on multiples!

I know one set of triplets who are 18 months. The boys are identical and all of their middle names are after grandparents.
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Beckett[/name_m]

Three L names for triplet daughters is so confusing!

I would definitely not want matchy names. I would want each name to start with it’s own letter and end with it’s own sound. I’d try to match stylistically, but I would probably just use my three favourites.
Boys: [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u] & [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] (I prefer [name_m]Henry[/name_m] to [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], but I think [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] goes better with my other two favourites)
Girls: [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] & [name_f]Flora[/name_f] - this was totally not what I was expecting to write! But I do really like it.
I like [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] as well, but they just didn’t fit in the sibset.

When I was about nine I used to threaten my mom that I would have three girls and name them [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] - it drove her totally mad as the meanings are so similar.

now I know that I will never have triplets (unless we need some serious help) so I haven’t contemplated it much…I do have twin names though, I guess I’d choose another name that fits in with the theme for the twins.
So… Illyria, [name_f]Merida[/name_f] and another place name that ends in a. (Maybe: [name_f]Galena[/name_f], or [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] or something - clearly I haven’t completely thought this through).
and… [name_m]Hendrik[/name_m], [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] and another longer older name that has a “proper” name as a nn like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m]. Maybe [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] nn [name_u]Max[/name_u] (though we already have three [name_u]Max[/name_u]’s so you know something else…)